Death Metal >> Death Metal for a novice?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Sunday 20 November 2011 - 10:00:32

citation :
SevereAbomination says : Moonsorrow are happy? Have you actually heard them before?

Kivenkantaja sounds pretty happy to me, especially Raunioilla.

Sunday 20 November 2011 - 11:53:23
Their keyboards sound very happy to me, they are kind of accordeon-like. Notice how they incorporate folky dance- around- the- maypole bits of music in almost every song, or at least the rhythm (especially those fast parts).
And yes, I really like the band.

As for Amon Amarth, I can say that almost all people I know that like Death Metal now, used to listen to them 5-6 years ago. They were quite big in my hometown, and I believe almost anywhere, especially when 'Fate of Norns' came out. Sure they can definetely use some change in their music, but they are pretty ok - and still worth going to their concert .

Ac/Dc is not metal, but it's a fun band that I grew up with. And they don't need to change their style, they are perfect just the way they are.

Sunday 20 November 2011 - 21:28:26
I never said AC/DC are metal. I said Amon Amarth are the AC/DC OF metal.

As for Moonsorrow, I think the folk bits are sorta like childrens nursery rhymes. The seem happy on their own, but with the rest of the music and vocals, have very dark undertones. When I listen to Moonsorrow I get a very dark atmosphere from them. But, everyone experiences music differently, so it could just be me.

Wednesday 23 November 2011 - 01:11:10
Suffocation: Pierced From Within
Cryptopsy: NoNe So Vile
Nile: Black Seeds Of Vengeance

These are pretty good DM starters IMO. There are way to many versions of what people consider Death Metal.

Wednesday 23 November 2011 - 06:21:50

citation :
SevereAbomination says : Naaa, fuck that. Assault him with the best of the best and if he doesn't like it's not for him!

Oh, well we haven't done that yet

Wednesday 23 November 2011 - 18:17:17
Anybody who wants to "learn" Death Metal the proper way should first start to listen to classics.

Those CDs are probably sold a billion dollars on egay now, but the VA comps "Masters of Brutality" are a good start and probably available somewhere to be downloaded.

You may want to check other comps like "Speed Kills but who's dying". They have some Thrash Metal bands as well but they're a good start to.

Tuesday 06 December 2011 - 00:07:43
Yeah, as Far as Death Metal "starter kits" go, old school compilation CDs are a great starting point, the first 2 death...is just the beginning compilations have some great songs on em, after that, they started adding more Nuclear blast posterboy types and less straight up death metal.
Classic albums worth listening to would be deicide's first 3 albums, NoNe so Vile, altars of madness, consuming impulse (Pestilence), Transcend the rubicon (Benediction), Cross the Styx (Sinister), Slaughter of the soul (At The Gates), slowly we Rot and cause of death, in their darkened shrines and black seeds of Vengeance, and maybe one or Two Amon Amarth albums though they can easily be considered the ac/dc of Death Metal, they recycle alotta riffs and melodies (especially in the last 2 releases)

Tuesday 06 December 2011 - 09:00:51
I don't understand why people recommend OSDM as a starter. I know that I hated OSDM when I first started getting into Death Metal such as Autopsy and Obituary. It was stuff like Cannibal Corpse's Kill album that really got me into death metal.

Specifically this song:

I found that this song was pretty much the best thing Death Metal had to offer (at the time that is). It wasn't slow, boring, and shitty like Obituary.

That being said, after the Cannibal Corpse phase, I think that Crypotpsy (NoNe So Vile), Morbid Angel (Altars of Madness) and Suffocation (Suffocation) is where I went. It worked for me and I tend to be a somewhat Stubborn bastard when it comes to getting into new genres of music when I already like something else.

Tuesday 06 December 2011 - 09:56:34
So, Altars of Madness is not OSDM??

Tuesday 06 December 2011 - 21:52:16
Heres some bands,

Nail Within

Defeated Sanity

Bolt Thrower

Brujeria

Ignore the stupid intro on the song by Brujeria