Death Metal >> Where does the best death metal come from?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Getting poll results. Please wait...
Which country does death metal the best in your opinion?
USA
Sweden
Finland
Czech Republic
Canada
Other (please specify)

Monday 04 July 2011 - 00:09:42
If you're looking for Swedeath, don't go with Entombed, go with Dismember. Everybody seems to prefer Like an Everflowing Stream, but Indecent & Obscene is my favorite. They're probably my favorite Death Metal band.

Monday 04 July 2011 - 10:59:15

citation :
Enigmatick dit : If you're looking for Swedeath, don't go with Entombed, go with Dismember. Everybody seems to prefer Like an Everflowing Stream, but Indecent & Obscene is my favorite. They're probably my favorite Death Metal band.

Gee, it's foolish to write something like that! As much as I love early Dismember (including the EP "Pieces"), no record left such a lasting impression in Swedish DM as Left Hand Path! That's historically speaking because if you ask me I like Clandestine much better but still. There's no arguing that they turned to shit after Wolverine Blues but even though Dismember stuck to Death Metal later on, NoNe of their past releases have been ever close in quality (same would apply to Grave).

Go with both Entombed and Dismember.

Monday 04 July 2011 - 13:10:08

citation :
miniradman says :
well... I was listening to the album "Suffocation" and honestly thought that the vocalist had little talent.

Ha ha ha ha, rarely heard so funny bullshit, Frank Mullen is almost the creator of this Extreme singing at the beginning of the 90s and everybody in Death Metal have copying him afterward.

Monday 04 July 2011 - 13:22:37
Other (please specify):

Holland : Asphyx, Pestilence, Hail Of Bullets, Severe Torture
France: Gojira, Massacra, Loudblast, Svart Crown, Nephren-Ka ()
Poland: Behemoth, Vader, Azarath, Decapitated
Italy: Hour Of Penance, Fleshgod Apocalypse

Ok, I certainly Forgot many bands from this country but WTF with Czeh Republic?

Monday 04 July 2011 - 13:55:19

citation :
BEERGRINDER says :

citation :
miniradman says :
well... I was listening to the album "Suffocation" and honestly thought that the vocalist had little talent.

Ha ha ha ha, rarely heard so funny bullshit, Frank Mullen is almost the creator of this Extreme singing at the beginning of the 90s and everybody in Death Metal have copying him afterward.

Yeah, well the Suffocation band members must have been sixty years old when they released that album. The vocalist has to conserve his Voice for future releases ya'know 0

Monday 04 July 2011 - 15:57:26
Frank Mullen was already more than 20 years old at the release of Effigy of the Forgotten, of course his singing evolved with years, but he still have his special Voice, making him one of the Death Metal monster vocalist of all time with Bo Summer, Martin van Drunen or Georges Fischer.

Monday 04 July 2011 - 17:54:08

citation :
BEERGRINDER says :

citation :
miniradman says :

Pretty much. His Voice has become a little weaker over the years, but he is still Far greater than a lot of Death Metal vocalists.

Tuesday 05 July 2011 - 05:12:49
Out of the major Swedeath bands, i'd argue that Dismember is definitely the best band from the Stockholm. I mentioned in my review of Like an Ever Flowing Stream in that while there were Swedish bands more ambitious in terms of overall musicality (IE structure, rhythm, technique, compositional Ideas in general), LaEFS epitomizes everything that was great about the old Stockholm scene. Everything about that record is Absolute Death Metal perfection, from composition to performances to even the production. I even love some of their later works, like Death Metal and The GOD That Never Was.

Entombed were great, though I don't think Clandestine really matches up to LaEFS overall. In its defense, the drumming IS a lot better and the songwriting is definitely more 'mature' in nature, but it doesn't hit as hard overall. Grave have two great albums and a literal fucking Ton of demos (all of them actually very good too), but they lost it for a long time after Soulless and only really turned it around on some of the most recent LPs. Unleashed's first two records and their last few are definitely really strong records, but I remember thinking a lot of their middle era was boring and redundant.

Tuesday 05 July 2011 - 09:11:40
I read your review and found it pretty good. Reread what I wrote though. I did not compare Clandestine to LaEFS. I only said I like Clandestine better than Left Hand Path, pure personal taste. If any Entombed album would have to be compared against Dismember's debut it would be Left Hand Path. And I'm sure you're aware a lot of people would "scream & shout" in favor of Entombed's debut (starting with the Fact that it was released earlier on, for instance).

This, obviously, does not mean I Despise Dismember. Only here to re-establish somehow a little "historical" point of view. Any person that would like to know a bit about Swedish DM cannot ignore Entombed.

Now in terms of personal tastes, I value both Clandestine and Dark Recollections as the best Swedeath records ever released. For one thing, I'd disagree with you that LaEFS is consistent in quality throughout the record because I've always found that latter tracks are weaker (possibly because it's hard to match the intensity of the first three tracks). Dark Recollections was released prior to Dismember's debut which imho is "only" the sequel of Carnage's only record (true also in terms of line-up) and so was LHP. As to why I love Clandestine over LHP? Simple, it got rid of the punkish/Repulsion-like elements and delivered full-blown mature DM.

Again my point is not in saying my tastes are better than yours (or anybody else's), only to put things back in perspective. Skipping Entombed's early career is sheer madness if you consider yourself a DM fan. Just like I'd go nuts if I read somewhere else something like, "if you want Norwegian BM, stick with Burzum and don't bother with Darkthrone..."

Tuesday 05 July 2011 - 23:59:11
Had to go with the Czech republic mainly because I'm proud to have most of my heritage from that country (Fleshless and Jig-Ai are pretty good examples of good Czech Death Metal bands). But I'd probably have to go with The Netherlands overall. It's hard to find a "bad" Death Metal band from The Netherlands