Death Metal >> Where does the best death metal come from?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Getting poll results. Please wait...
Which country does death metal the best in your opinion?
USA
Sweden
Finland
Czech Republic
Canada
Other (please specify)

Sunday 20 February 2011 - 08:21:24

citation :
Loudpipes says : It really isn't any fault of their own that they influenced a Ton of really piss-poor bands; I do agree with the fact that most of their clone bands suck. That said i'm very hard pressed to name a 'brutal' (I Hate using this fucking term) Death Metal band that was better all around in terms of composition (riffcraft, overall cohesion and flow to the songs etc) than Suffocation's early era.

Minirad, if you're interested, Pierced From Within is probably the most well-rounded Suffo album from their early era. Like I mentioned earlier, pretty much all of their albums up to and including Despise the Sun are worthy. I can't really comment on the post-reunion albums aside for that the s/t is pretty dull compared to their early works.

Will do, I might download the rest of their discography 0

Tuesday 22 February 2011 - 00:46:08
My favourite place for Death Metal is Germany, second to Germany would be Mexico and Canada.

Sunday 06 March 2011 - 03:46:59
Other.

Just like Black Metal, the best of it does not originate from a country; it originates from the soul of the artist(s). The music itself cannot be judged, but the emotions which are welled up by the music are what should make you like or dislike a song; not the country it originates from.

And by soul I mean the Core values/beliefs of a person or group of people, not some metaphysical Ghost contained within your body (We're not simple mammals anymore, we're intellectually evolved enough that we know there are organs inside of us, not a soul given to us by some deity).

Monday 14 March 2011 - 20:52:10
Suffocation are dads, Nile also is the future, it is true, Morbid Angel ... Thanks to this desert life that I had the opportunity to live

Friday 01 July 2011 - 07:32:48
I like poland, Decapitated, Behemoth, hate... eventhough the later two are death/black metal

Friday 01 July 2011 - 17:48:36
I can't really answer this because I haven't heard enough Death Metal to know. Almost all of what I have heard is American. From shitty bands like Cannibal Corpse and Job For A Cowboy to Autopsy and Death.
The only Swede Death Metal bands I've heard were both bands that split up before they were around 3 years, and they never released a full-length. Those bands are Nirvana 2002 and Morbid. I've been meaning to check out Entombed though.

Friday 01 July 2011 - 22:15:25
Man, you're harsh. Cannibal Corpse and Job For A Cowboy in the same basket? Cannibal Corpse is a great band. Most people Avoid them for the simple reason that they almost got "mainstream" but they don't deserve it. They did help shape that scene from early on.

If you need to check Swedish DM, Entombed's obviously a great pick but stick to the first 3 records. Try early Dismember, early Grave, Liers in Wait, and Carnage as well. More recent acts that are worth mentioning are Torture Division, Karnarium and Kaamos (among many many others).  When you do so, you'll soon come to realize that Nirvana 2002 is a second league band.

Friday 01 July 2011 - 22:24:39
Cannibal Corpse is dull and I can't comfortably sit through any of their albums without feeling bored by the fourth or fifth song. They're stale.

...That is to say, I haven't heard everything by them. Just Gallery of Suicide, Evisceration Plague, and TOMB of the Mutilated (yes, I didn't like TOMB). I can handle individual songs by them (Hammer Smashed Face, Evisceration Plague, Buried in the Backyard, Edible Autopsy, etc), but listening to more than a few at once makes me bored.

Nirvana 2002 is a second-rate band, but their amateur sound is part of the novelty and enjoyment. I like their early band vibe, and oh, I think they're better than CC, so...
But yeah, I intend to check out Left Hand Path since I've heard lots of praise for that one. FUN Fact, the lead guitarist in Entombed brought in a Nirvana 2002 song (Mourning) and told the producer that he wanted his guitar to sound that way. XD

Friday 01 July 2011 - 23:25:12

citation :
InfinityZero says :

Nirvana 2002 is a second-rate band, but their amateur sound is part of the novelty and enjoyment. I like their early band vibe, and oh, I think they're better than CC, so...

You sure can enjoy anything you like. That wasn't my point. My point is, despite the Fact that you don't enjoy them, that CC has and always will be a major band in Death Metal and that putting them against JFAC or Nirvana 2002 does not make sense.

The former are barely Death Metal and the latter have a discography the size of a penny -- not mentioning no one gave a shit about them back then. On the other hand if you're really into Nirvana 2002, I'm trading this:

http://www.anus.com/metal/projections_of_a_stained_mind/

except mine's on vinyl which has a white cover instead of The Black one... a nice intro to Swedish DM by the way

Friday 01 July 2011 - 23:33:01

citation :
GandhiEgo says :
You sure can enjoy anything you like. That wasn't my point. My point is, despite the Fact that you don't enjoy them, that CC has and always will be a major band in Death Metal and that putting them against JFAC or Nirvana 2002 does not make sense.

Oh, no, I realize Cannibal Corpse's contribution to the genre, I just don't personally like them. I was putting them against JFAC only because they're from the same country, not because they're equally influential or anything. 0  And yes, I know that no one cares or has ever cared about N2002 and I realize how underground they were... although apparently they and Entombed were offered to play at a live show (the show that got Entombed to be noticed by a record label that got their music heard), and they declined the offer because they were stage-shy. And so no one ever heard of them. 0
Sorry if what I said before sounded the wrong way or something.
About Nirvana 2002, I'm not like, an avid fan of them or anything. I like their music is all. And I own the 89-91 compilation, which has every song of theirs on it, including rerecordings and differing versions (it totals to about 40 minutes of music), so I'm all set as Far as they go. It's neat that you have one of their original releases though!