Death Metal >> Where does the best death metal come from?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Getting poll results. Please wait...
Which country does death metal the best in your opinion?
USA
Sweden
Finland
Czech Republic
Canada
Other (please specify)

Thursday 17 February 2011 - 13:16:12

citation :
Earine says : USA for me. Vital Remains, Suffocation, Immolation, Nile, Waco Jesus, Disfiguring The Goddess, Skinless, Obituary, Dying Fetus, Cattle Decapitation...

waahhhh? you acctually like those bands?

0 usually people Hate Disfiguring The Goddess?

HI 5

Friday 18 February 2011 - 06:59:14

citation :
1Archon1 says :

citation :
Earine says : USA for me. Vital Remains, Suffocation, Immolation, Nile, Waco Jesus, Disfiguring The Goddess, Skinless, Obituary, Dying Fetus, Cattle Decapitation...

If you take out Suffocation that i never came to like , no matter how much i tried , and Cattle Decapitation that i havent tried out , thats a most kickass list

I'm the exact same way, I have no idea why people like Suffocation, i don't "get" that band at all

Friday 18 February 2011 - 07:25:32

citation :
Demogorefest says :

citation :
1Archon1 says :

citation :

If you take out Suffocation that i never came to like , no matter how much i tried , and Cattle Decapitation that i havent tried out , thats a most kickass list

I'm the exact same way, I have no idea why people like Suffocation, i don't "get" that band at all

ok, they are not the best band in the world. But I'm a fan, one of the reasons I like them is because for a Brutal death band "apparently" their song structure is unlike some of the other Mainstream death bands out there. They are Far more melodic than Disgorge and Disfiguring the godess but they still keep a darkish atmosphere. The only thing I don't like is their vocalist. He has little talent (in Death Metal vocals) and he just sounds like he is whispering all the time. But to me Suffocation is a nice, tight, well rounded band 0

Friday 18 February 2011 - 18:25:02

citation :
Demogorefest says :

citation :
1Archon1 says :

citation :

Because - and this is all my opinion - is that they're one of the few percussive Death Metal bands that manages to combine the Brutality and heaviness with intricate and tasteful song craft. They use their technical skills as a Means to an end, not the end in and of itself, especially with their riffcraft and the basslines that weave between them, alongside the hammering drumming. (Mike Smith and Doug Bohn are both some of death metal's best drummers) Also, i'm not sure why miniradman is saying that Frank Mullen has no vocal talent; his vocals are literally Inhuman on Human Waste and Effiigy of the Forgotten and even the more comprehensible vocals he does on the albums after that are great. Really, one of the best vocalists in DM IMO, mostly because they're such an effective rhythmic counterpoint to everything.

Tl;dr: they're difficult to get into, but everything from 1991 to '98 or so is fantastic death metal.

Friday 18 February 2011 - 23:31:26

citation :

Because - and this is all my opinion - is that they're one of the few percussive Death Metal bands that manages to combine the Brutality and heaviness with intricate and tasteful song craft. They use their technical skills as a Means to an end, not the end in and of itself, especially with their riffcraft and the basslines that weave between them, alongside the hammering drumming. (Mike Smith and Doug Bohn are both some of death metal's best drummers)

Yeah dude, I think that the Drumming is probably the highlight for that band.

citation :
Also, i'm not sure why miniradman is saying that Frank Mullen has no vocal talent; his vocals are literally Inhuman on Human Waste and Effiigy of the Forgotten and even the more comprehensible vocals he does on the albums after that are great. Really, one of the best vocalists in DM IMO, mostly because they're such an effective rhythmic counterpoint to everything. 

well... I was listening to the album "Suffocation" and honestly thought that the vocalist had little talent. He just sounds like he whispers all the time. He rarely uses any other vocal technique whatsoever. Also because he can't distort his Voice properly, it seems to be Drowned out by the music a little (just a little). I'm not sure if he is trying to create atmosphere or something else but it seems to be boring a lot of the time because of that. Thats my point of view 0

Saturday 19 February 2011 - 02:55:01
I'm not really much of a fan of the s/t, sounds kind of weak so I can't comment on the vocals there. I don't know if you've heard the earlier albums (since you haven't mentioned them) but I personally find these vocals very fitting for their style of death metal:

Saturday 19 February 2011 - 03:27:55
Ok now that was different. I've only heard their newer stuff (Suffocation and above) I'm not usually a fan of old school Death Metal but the vocals in that song were a lot different from what Ive heard from them. I'm starting to think that the reason why the vocals are changing becuase the guy must be getting old 0 .

Thanks dude 0

EDIT: this is what I was talking about the "whispered" vocals 0

Sunday 20 February 2011 - 00:01:06

citation :
miniradman says : Ok now that was different. I've only heard their newer stuff

See, there's your issue. When you check out bands (especially ones with 20-year careers like Suffocation) ALWAYS do it in chronological order. Gives you a better idea of what their original goals and motives as artists were and whatnot, and also when they hit their peak.

Although I agree with your original sentiment; Suffocation sucks a fat one, new or old, and they're the ones responsible for influencing a majority of the horse-turd modern Death Metal out there, which only makes my dislike for them more searing.

Sunday 20 February 2011 - 08:06:02

citation :
Enigmatick says :

citation :
miniradman says : Ok now that was different. I've only heard their newer stuff

See, there's your issue. When you check out bands (especially ones with 20-year careers like Suffocation) ALWAYS do it in chronological order. Gives you a better idea of what their original goals and motives as artists were and whatnot, and also when they hit their peak.

Although I agree with your original sentiment; Suffocation sucks a fat one, new or old, and they're the ones responsible for influencing a majority of the horse-turd modern Death Metal out there, which only makes my dislike for them more searing.

I don't bother about what order to listen to it. I just listen to what ever I like I guess and at the moment I'm digging both old and new Suffocation.

Sunday 20 February 2011 - 08:19:11
It really isn't any fault of their own that they influenced a Ton of really piss-poor bands; I do agree with the fact that most of their clone bands suck. That said i'm very hard pressed to name a 'brutal' (I Hate using this fucking term) Death Metal band that was better all around in terms of composition (riffcraft, overall cohesion and flow to the songs etc) than Suffocation's early era.

Minirad, if you're interested, Pierced From Within is probably the most well-rounded Suffo album from their early era. Like I mentioned earlier, pretty much all of their albums up to and including Despise the Sun are worthy. I can't really comment on the post-reunion albums aside for that the s/t is pretty dull compared to their early works.