Black Metal >> favorite Black/Thrash Bands
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Sunday 15 May 2011 - 01:07:46
Toxic Holocaust is beast.
So is Nocturnal Graves.
I think Venom and TH are Thrash, and Celtic Frost Dark and Possessed death black.

Tuesday 17 May 2011 - 22:34:29
DMP is wrong on ALL counts, holy jesus. Venom is essentially a really dark, Evil NWOBHM band, early Celtic Frost is old school heavy/thrash with more of a proto-black metal aesthetic than any actual BM, and Possessed is basically really Aggressive thrash metal. Did you just go by the genre labels on here? Cause they're wrong pretty much half the time.

NoNe of them are really black thrash. Also Toxic Holocaust sucks.

Sunday 22 May 2011 - 03:56:18
Whenever I think of black/thrash, Hellhammer* and early Sodom are pretty much the first things that come to mind. Satanic Rites and Apocalyptic Raids are Absolute masterpieces of metal, period. Possibly the ugliest and most insanely barbaric records of all time.

Sodom's first EP is one of my favourite thrash releases, period. Sure, it's Venom Worship, but it;s take to a Insane level of ferocity that band could've never remotely done. Sure, it's sloppy as all Hell (i'm pretty certain Witchhammer doesn't play in time on the whole fucking record), but it possesses an insanely Brutal charm to it.

And "Outbreak of [fucking] Evil".

*Hellhammer is really debatable, I count them as black/thrash, but you could make solid arguements for them counting more towards black or even death metal.

(Also what Enigmatick said about Possessed)

Sunday 22 May 2011 - 05:00:09

citation :
Enigmatick says : DMP is wrong on ALL counts, holy jesus. Venom is essentially a really dark, Evil NWOBHM band, early Celtic Frost is old school heavy/thrash with more of a proto-black metal aesthetic than any actual BM, and Possessed is basically really Aggressive thrash metal. 

I agree with you on Possessed and Venom, but DoomMetalPrincess, their mindsets as bands are in the place of the genres you called them by. Possessed is defenitely Black Metal lyrics wise, same with Venom, but like E said, they're not quite evolved or refined to be black or death.
As for Celtic Frost, to me they're a chameleon band, and they've emulated a lot of genres, but To Mega Therion is blatant Thrash Metal with a touch of Extreme metal sort of underlining the music, But they have a lot of doomy, sludgy other stuff too, and even a glam metal album called Cold Lake, but that one is an abomination of mankind so don't buy it.

Sunday 22 May 2011 - 16:57:20
There is a pretty good black thrash (with hints of death) band from australia, its probably the most well known Black Metal artist in Aus... Abominator 0

Sunday 22 May 2011 - 17:02:45
Almost Forgot about Bestial Warlust (but I'm not exactly sure if you could call thrash, maybe old school Black Death)

Sunday 22 May 2011 - 22:22:51

citation :
InfinityZero says :
I agree with you on Possessed and Venom, but DoomMetalPrincess, their mindsets as bands are in the place of the genres you called them by. Possessed is defenitely Black Metal lyrics wise, same with Venom, but like E said, they're not quite evolved or refined to be black or death.
As for Celtic Frost, to me they're a chameleon band, and they've emulated a lot of genres, but To Mega Therion is blatant Thrash Metal with a touch of Extreme metal sort of underlining the music, But they have a lot of doomy, sludgy other stuff too, and even a glam metal album called Cold Lake, but that one is an abomination of mankind so don't buy it.

Both Venom and Possessed take a more antichristian approach to their lyrics. Is satanic imagery not also a prevalent occurrence in death, and even thrash metal? A lyrical theme such as that shouldn't instantly be thrown under "black metal lyrics" simply because Black Metal bands are more stereotypically associated with that imagery.

Celtic Frost is very amorphous, yeah, I'd never really categorize them under one particular genre, but "dark metal" isn't even a real genre, I dislike it when people use it as some umbrella term.

Oh, and I wouldn't really say Skeletonwitch is black thrash either (i know somebody mentioned them a while back) They're more a speed-thrash band with raspy vocals, their riffs are just Far too melodic to be considered full-on thrash and the vocals don't really add much of a "black metal" aesthetic to me. I dunno, black/thrash is a very specific sound in my ears.

Monday 23 May 2011 - 00:00:08
I consider the whole ritualistic satanism (as opposed to Satan as a caricature like in Maiden's 'The Number of The Beast) is 'black metal lyrics' 'cause it's the theme that Black Metal is known for. That doesn't mean I instantly consider a band Black Metal 'cause they refer to satanism, I'm just saying it's Black Metal in theme.

Like, I don't consider Ghost Black Metal but they have the satanic lyrics.

Monday 23 May 2011 - 00:11:06
If that's how you see it, cool. Point Still Remains, DMP's stance of Venom and Possessed is totally wrong, regardless of lyrical theme. I honestly am not sure how much music she's actually LISTENED to- I mean, she's even younger than I am, and all she seems to do on here is namedrop a bunch of Random bands without having any sort of opinion on them other than the obligatory "they're good" or "they're bad". Seems like the type who spam-downloads every album she sees just so she can say she's "heard them" for some sort of imaginary metal street-cred.

I could be totally off with that assumption but I definitely get that vibe from her.

PS: Ghost is awesome.

Monday 23 May 2011 - 09:14:58

citation :
Enigmatick says :
Oh, and I wouldn't really say Skeletonwitch is black thrash either (i know somebody mentioned them a while back) They're more a speed-thrash band with raspy vocals, their riffs are just Far too melodic to be considered full-on thrash and the vocals don't really add much of a "black metal" aesthetic to me. I dunno, black/thrash is a very specific sound in my ears.

Okay Enigmatick, what defines Black Thrash to you?0

Are the songs I posed black thrash?