Death Metal >> Which are your favourite Death Metal / Death Grind / Brutal Death bands?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Wednesday 02 February 2011 - 11:22:06

citation :
GandhiEgo says :
By the way, Inveracity's drummer is also in Dead Congregation though it's definitely not the same kind of music.

Yeah , i know . I have seen them . The Black metal part of their music kept me from adding them to the list . Or maybe the fact they are from athens too , ahaha .

Thanks for Impureza , checking them out right now

Updated list with one more name .

Wednesday 02 February 2011 - 15:40:08

citation :
1Archon1 says :Seriously , Septic Flesh ? I shivered when i SAW them in the list , and not in a pleasant way .

Are you saying they're not Death Metal or that they suck?
Cause you're wrong wither way

Wednesday 02 February 2011 - 21:56:20

citation :
Enigmatick says :

citation :
1Archon1 says :Seriously , Septic Flesh ? I shivered when i SAW them in the list , and not in a pleasant way .

Because here in greece , its as mainstream as it gets . And i am always getting angry when i see that people abroad know them , and havent heard a thing about the other bands we have , that are actually 10 times better . Its like Greece comes out like : "Black metal : Rotting Christ " "Death Metal : Septic Flesh " "Thrash Metal : Suicidal Angels " , while we have so much more .
So , the second , they suck , yes . And i have seen them live  three times , so , i have no doubt

Wednesday 02 February 2011 - 22:04:47

citation :
1Archon1 says :

citation :
Enigmatick says :

citation :

Because here in greece , its as mainstream as it gets . And i am always getting angry when i see that people abroad know them , and havent heard a thing about the other bands we have , that are actually 10 times better . Its like Greece comes out like : "Black metal : Rotting Christ " " Death Metal : Septic Flesh " "Thrash Metal : Suicidal Angels " , while we have so much more .
So , the second , they suck , yes . And i have seen them live  three times , so , i have no doubt

Could you recommend some Greek Death Metal (besides Dead Congregation)?

Wednesday 02 February 2011 - 22:58:48

citation :
Mercenarion says :

Could you recommend some Greek Death Metal (besides Dead Congregation)?

I added a list of the most prominent bands in just the previous page   . Check it out .

Wednesday 02 February 2011 - 23:17:26
Thanks, didn't notice the list on the other page before

Inverasity and Homo Iratus are awesome. Mass Infection is brutal.

Korrigan and Everfailed... damn, I really like these guys.

Thursday 03 February 2011 - 01:41:21

citation :
1Archon1 says :

Because here in greece , its as mainstream as it gets . And i am always getting angry when i see that people abroad know them , and havent heard a thing about the other bands we have , that are actually 10 times better . Its like Greece comes out like : "Black metal : Rotting Christ " "Death Metal : Septic Flesh " "Thrash Metal : Suicidal Angels " , while we have so much more .

The popularity of the band isn't inversely proportional to the quality of the band, "mainstream" isn't an insult. Everybody knows of them because they take an original and marketable spin on Death Metal and execute it with class, it's easy to see why they're so widely known and respected even if you don't like the band yourself. The whole "why is band x more popular while bands i like aren't as popular" ain't really a mature way of putting it.

But yes, Rotting Christ and Suicidal Angels do suck

Thursday 03 February 2011 - 02:42:45

citation :
Enigmatick says :

The popularity of the band isn't inversely proportional to the quality of the band, "mainstream" isn't an insult. Everybody knows of them because they take an original and marketable spin on Death Metal and execute it with class, it's easy to see why they're so widely known and respected even if you don't like the band yourself. The whole "why is band x more popular while bands i like aren't as popular" ain't really a mature way of putting it.

But yes, Rotting Christ and Suicidal Angels do suck

That would be so , if they were actually better than the others . I have tracked all our metal scene along greece , and found out they are Nothing special . Its not about me disliking them , its about the others being better . Do you really think that bands become popular only because of their skills and talent ? I dont think you are  naive , you are just trying to back up your point . They just had the opportunity and managed to grasp it . If you did check those bands i mentioned , you would see that there is a big background of Death Metal in greece . They didnt have the talent to overshadow and overpower the others . Greece just promotes a few names , its a standart policy . All the others remain underground .
Having not seen a band live , you have only half the picture of them . Compared to all other greek bands i have seen playing , and i think i have seen most , those were the ones lacking passion , depth  and inspiration  .
You seem to have misunderstood me . I never said that Rotting Christ , Suicidal angels  and Septic Flesh are bad bands . Specially not the first 2 that i am rather fond of . I said that compared to the talents that are left underground , Septic Flesh are commercial metal , made up to appease the throats and ears of kiddies and teens .

Thursday 03 February 2011 - 04:19:18
I checked out most of those bands, and while they're fairly competent bands I really don't see how they have a leg-up over Septic Flesh, as NoNe of them brought anything new to the table and a few like Inveracity just plain flat-out blew sweaty goat balls. It's pretty easy to see WHY they remain underground: There's literally thousands of bands out there doing the exact same thing as good as bands like Mass Infection and Blustering Caveat; Nothing separates them from the herd, so why should THEY get the popularity over all those other bands?

Originality/innovation, although not a sure indicator of quality, is definitely a good way to gain popularity in ANY genre of music, and Septic Flesh are a highly original band; meshing somewhat ethnic atmospheres well with very crushing, grandiose death metal.

tl;dr: The popularity of Septic Flesh isn't based on luck.

FWIW, a full review of "Communion" I wrote can be found here if you want to read it, although it's a shitty review and one of my worst: http://metal-archives.com/review.php?id=185956
The One at the top.

Thursday 03 February 2011 - 04:22:06
Oh, and as a footnote: Septic Flesh have been around for 20 years now, and have only really seen popularity in the later half of their career. They spent at least 10 years in the state that Inveracity, Mass Infection and Terrordrome are in now.