Death Metal >> What 5 death metal records are you into just now?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Thursday 02 June 2011 - 06:37:43
Same here, Bloodbath annoy me.

As for Polish Death Metal, there's a zillion bands here besides Vader and Decapitated (and Behemoth of course) which Means that scene is rich as Hell and does not just feature Vader/Behemoth clones.

Try a few bands: Azarath, Tenebris, Ebola, Absent, Neolith, Dead Infection, Trauma, Pandemonium, etc... They all sound very different to me.

Thursday 02 June 2011 - 15:42:01

citation :
GandhiEgo says : Same here, Bloodbath annoy me.

same here. GandhiEgo, if u like polish dm scene, check out Anima Damnata ( pure Evil, similar to Azarath, I wouldn't be surprised if you've already known them ), Moulded Flesh, Slow Death, Thanatos ( Thanatos transformed into Trauma, they've recorded two demos as Thanatos, I like those demos much more than stuff recorded as Trauma), Betrayer, and polish Soulless, their Total Desecration album is Sick !

Thursday 02 June 2011 - 15:55:22
I'm not Polish but I live there in Warsaw so I know quite a few bands indeed! I need to check Soulless and Slow Death. Those are the two you mentioned that I never heard about! Dzi?ki!

Friday 03 June 2011 - 04:27:39
I dunno, Polish DM for some reason rubs me the wrong way compared to a lot of the other DM schools. I like Vader a lot, but for some reason Nothing else really does it from that country for me. Behemoth is okay, but they got really overblown on the last few and both Dies Irae and Decapitated never struck me at all. I'll look into those bands though, thanks.

Merc: the first two records and When Satan Lives are probably the Deicide records to get. The first record is a bit less technical overall, and Benton's vocals are shoutier (though verging a lot on Black Metal at times), but it's damn good. Legion is when the band perfected their craft. When Satan Lives is a live album that mainaly consists of shit from Once Upon the Cross and Serpents of the Light; neither records are all that great but in a live setting they really come alive. The sound on it is surprisingly great for a live record as well.

Addendum to my previous post: Morbid Angel - Covenant. Fuck Illud, if you want Morbid Angel in the prime of their career, this is damn near it. It ends on a weak note with "God of Emptiness" (though i'm crazy since i'm apparently the only Death Metal fan who dislikes it), but the rest is fucking stellar all the way. Seething and absolutely Vicious; it's filled with brilliant riff after brilliant riff, fantastic solos (noticably more consonantly melodic than older Morbid Angel records, but that's not a bad thing whatsoever), powerful vocals, great drums, and really just incredible songs. "Rapture" damn near epitomizes Death Metal as a genre, "World of Shit" is absolutely churning, and even the somewhat out of place "Angel of Disease" fucking rules so hard. The production is absolutely fantastic; the guitar tone is deep and devastating, the vocals upfront and roaring, and the drum sound is one of the most painstaking natural i've ever heard on an Extreme metal record.

Not quite as absurdly amazing as Altars of Madness, nor is it as detailed and structured as Blessed Are the Sick, but absolutely sublime in its best moments. As Far as i'm concerned, this is the last great record with David Vincent at the helm; i've never been KeeN on Domination at all, and the new album is... terrible is an understatement. But they were, at one point, the cutting edge of Death Metal for a damn good reason.

Sunday 12 June 2011 - 19:40:09
  1. Sororicide - The Entity. Incredible oldschool Death Metal from Iceland, really worth checking out. 
  2. Purtenance - Member Of Immortal Damnation. Crushing, heavy as fuck Death Metal from Finland. I especially love the vocals, they are amazingly deep. 
  3. Necroccultus - Encircling the Mysterious Necrorevelation. Damn, those Mexicans! Pure oldschool, amazing solos, great vocals.
  4. Possessed - Seven Churches. pure fucking classic. If you don't know this band, catch up, immediately !
  5. Toxodeth - Phantasms. Just check them out. Worth it. Seriously. Cheers!

Sunday 12 June 2011 - 19:46:02

Sunday 12 June 2011 - 20:19:29
I actually do enjoy some of Morbid Angel's stuff. Leading the Rats and Domination I think are David Vincent's vocal prime. A lot of people tend to ride his nuts when it comes to Altars of Madness, but I prefer his guttural roaring on Domination. Basically if Glen Benton stopped pooping into the mic and actually tried to pronounce words, he'd be as good of a vocalist as Vincent was back then. but I digress. . .

Wednesday 15 June 2011 - 23:14:13
It's that time again where I puke all over the thread:

-The Crown - Eternal Death:
The Crown are easily one of the few Gothenburg bands that I can really stand listening to all that often, because these guys mix in a palpable level of influence from all over the metal spectrum (most notable thrash). Eternal Death is more straight up death metal-oriented than their later records, coming off as a mix of Gothenburg's overt melodies and death metal's tempo and ferocity, resulting in arguably the strongest work of their career. The riffwork is ultra catchy, but they're delivered with a fury and intensity that many of their peers simply couldn't match. The drumming is fucking stellar; this dude knows when to slam on gas and when to slow it Down, with a superbly musical, easy going (yet Aggressive) drum performance. Johan Lindstand's gravelly, high-pitched vocal delivery is also excellent, one of the most furious vocal performances i've ever heard.

The songs on this are really just excellent and well constructed, from the intensely catchy opener, in the form of "Angels Die*", the mid-paced and melodic (yet still meaty) "The Serpent's Garden", the more purely death metal-minded "Kill (The Priest"), or the midpaced and lengthy closer. These guys know how to write a great song, and despite the fairly long length (52-ish minutes), they're never unable to get your attention. Most of their work is pretty damn strong, but this is probably my favourite overall.

*As an aside, the Omen III sample in the middle of this song fucking owns. That is all.

-Carcass - Tools of the Trade:
Most people don't seem to give a shit about this EP, which sucks because it fucking rules hard. This was released between Necroticism and Heartwork, but it really evokes more of a combination of Necroticism's more restrained, technical (yet highly catchy) take on Death Metal with some of the grind from their first two records infused. The result is an EP that avoids the main thing that Hurt Necroticism (the bloat) and delivers some of the best songs of Carcass's career, in the form of the excellent title track and the lengthy yet impressively written "Hepatic Tissue Fermentation II". The other track is good, and overall this is definitely a worthy listen if you're a fan of Carcass' more Death Metal minded work.

-Cadaver  -Necrosis:
I bought this for four bucks used this week, and in great fucking condition too! Cadaver was one of the more forward thinking Death Metal bands of the early 90's, but they went ignored and broke up, only to be resusitated years later as Cadaver Inc before returning to the Cadaver moniker proper and putting out this beast.

What does it sound like? A death/thrash band meeting Voivod and doing a shitload of crack. The riffs are excellent, with more of the same unnerving phrasing and odd chords that was Voivod's Bread and Butter throughout the late 1980's (think Killing Technology, in particular), but in a more Death Metal context. The songs are lurching and Vicious, driven forward by the odd riffs and the punishing yet tasteful drumming of Carl Michael Eide (who some will know for his more avant-garde efforts with Ved Buens Ende and Virus), and they deliver some great moments. The production job is also excellent, reflecting a time when producers didn't know whether to use analog or digital production methods. It's weird Dry and cluttered, but it sounds great. Overall, highly worth getting... this was practically a fucking steal for what I paid for it.

-Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos:
I love The IVth Crusade more, but this is undoubtedly Bolt Thrower's most obscenely heavy, crushing record. Evoking images of a destrutive war between infantry in the trenches, this is simple monstrous. This reflects their more crust punk/grind past more than their later records, infusing the typical Bolt Thrower Groovy Riffs with an absolutely vicious, filth-ridden feel. Karl Willets found his vocal stylings here - production effects or not, his monstrous roars fit this band perfectly. The performances are still sloppy as hell, but tighter than the debut, and the songs are absolutely fucking deadly. "Through the Eye of Terror", "Lost Souls Domain", "Plague Bearer", "World Eater" and the title track are literally among Bolt Thrower's greatest songs, with crushing riffs, sudden switches into vicious, grinding passages, and yet overall strong songcraft carries the band. The production is dirty as hell, perfectly fitting the tunes.

It's Bolt Thrower. Bolt Thrower are fucking boss, but Realm of Chaos and IVth Crusade are absolutely mandatory.

-Morbid Angel - Domination:

I gave this a relisten about half a week ago and I have to say, it's not quite as bad as I intitally knocked it for. But it's unquestionable weaker than the first three albums with David Vincent at the helm for a few reasons:

It's not as consistent, for one. "Dominate" starts off the record furiously, not matching up to "Immortal Rites" or "Rapture" that well, but it delivers some great riffs and a fantastic solo. (the lead guitar tone on this is fucking gorgeous) "Where The Slime Live" is a great song too, more sludgy and groove oriented, but packing some great riffs and a great solo section. There's some others that are good here and there, like "This Means War", and "Dawn of the Angry".

The problem is that the rest of the record is a mixed bag; the songs aren't as inspired as past works and just kind of plod along. I've never been fond of David Vincent's vocals on this record; there's something about his delivery that just fucking makes some of these songs irritating as hell, and it doesn't help that he's mixed in really fucking loudly. Some of the songs, like "Eyes to See..." are listenable, but stuff like "Caesar's Palace" tries too hard to go back to Blessed Are the Sick, only not as good, and "Hatework" is fucking abominable. Seriously, if it wasn't for like half of Illud Divinum Insanus, i'd still be calling it Morbid Angel's worst song. It's bloated, it's aimless, directionless, and just a fucking dissapointing conclusion to the album.

Also, the production is way too 'bright' for lack of a better descriptor. There's something about the way the drums come off, in particular that just saps the life out of the sound. The plus sides are that about half of the songs are pretty damn good (I didn't factor in the instrumentals, because they go nowhere), and they're pretty well executed. But it's really flawed compared to what Morbid Angel did before and what they would do afterward... but it's not a bad album for what it is whenever i'm in the mood for it.

Saturday 18 June 2011 - 10:29:04
I've been very much into Autopsy for the last couple days (hence my signature ), seems like the new one really got me back into it, so I kept listening to all their full lengths and also The TOMB Within EP, very good stuff of course ! I still have this Undying preference for Mental Funeral, I just can't get enough of it no matter how many times I listen to it. To me it represents the true essence of Death Metal, it's raw, dirty and dark. Perfect for my tastes.

Wednesday 29 June 2011 - 15:00:13
http://youtu.be/xxbPKhaFT_Q