Language Learning >> Strine!
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Wednesday 18 May 2011 - 15:47:43
Who wants to learn Strine! 0  0

Wednesday 18 May 2011 - 19:48:07
what is strine?

Wednesday 18 May 2011 - 20:11:54

citation :
Panzerjager says : what is strine?

Yeah, what is it mini?

Wednesday 18 May 2011 - 20:31:16
According to wiki, is strine;

Strine /?stra?n/ is a term coined in 1964[1] and subsequently used to describe a joke or made-up "language" purportedly spoken by Australians whose accents frequently run words together in a type of liaison. The term is a syncope, derived from a shortened phonetic rendition of the pronunciation of the word "Australian" in an exaggerated Broad Australian accent.[2]

Wednesday 18 May 2011 - 20:48:56
Do you just add 'oy' and 'mate' and talk like Steve Irwin?  0

Wednesday 18 May 2011 - 21:11:22
Oh, like.

Let's put some bangers on the barbie and have some tinnies until we get all cranky and have a barney, then we can chunder all over our clobber because we couldn't find the nearest dunny. When we have finished doing all that we can go shag some jumbucks because that's what us Aussies do.

Oh yes, I'm a pommy bastard by the way. Ha

Wednesday 18 May 2011 - 22:51:50

citation :
MothandMoon says : Oh, like.

Let's put some bangers on the barbie and have some tinnies until we get all cranky and have a barney, then we can chunder all over our clobber because we couldn't find the nearest dunny. When we have finished doing all that we can go shag some jumbucks because that's what us Aussies do.

Oh yes, I'm a pommy bastard by the way. Ha

0 .... thats basically it

ok let me start with an introduction of some common Strine terminology and phrases.

Hello - G'day
Freind - Mate
Maybe we should think of another idea - Lets put another shrimp on the Barbie
Evening/Afternoon - arvo
Eat - Have a feed
Leave - Waggin (pronounced Wa-Gin)
Toilet - Dunny
Australian - Bogan
A Small Metal Boat - Tini/Ding
Don't try and trick me - Don't Come The Raw Prawn
A Small Portable Fridge - Esky
Piss Weak/Poor - Of Low Quality or useless
Rack Off - Go Away
Verbal Diarrohoea - Talking Too Much About Nothing

We also like to shorten names and nouns
David - Davo
John - Johno

I understand these might be spoken in some other countries, but they are very commen here in Australia 0

Wednesday 10 August 2011 - 12:42:05
Just some more of our super mega awesome sayings

built like a brick shithouse - strong/tough/buff
piss - beer/alcohol
pissed - drunk
donga - a small living space, usually an apartment or flat
brahh - brother
cobba/mate - freind
cobba digga - my good freind
maggot - student (teachers don't say this )
sheila - girl

Although I don't speak like this (I don't think I do anyway). but some people tighten their sentences and leave out some pauses.
ie. have a good day = avagooday

for more infomation... you can just look up Australia on Encyclopedia Dramatica

Wednesday 10 August 2011 - 16:00:23
I thought the slang term for student was faggot, not maggot. Eh, must've changed it for political-correctness.
Also, brah is used in North America too, but I tend to usually want to backhand people who use that term.

Wednesday 10 August 2011 - 22:27:33

citation :
InfinityZero says : I thought the slang term for student was faggot, not maggot. Eh, must've changed it for political-correctness.
Also, brah is used in North America too, but I tend to usually want to backhand people who use that term.

Nah maggot is the correct word, anyway I think faggot is used worldwide

Yeah north americans use brah as well, but the "native" people tend to say Braahh!
eg. "ey braahh, wanna pley a geem of footy?"