Death Metal >> Old School?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Monday 02 May 2011 - 18:51:02
Hey, I think that instead of making a new thread everytime you get a question you wanna ask, you should bring it up in General Chat. There're way too many threads floating around with only like 10 comments on them. 0

and plus, your question is something that could be summed up in one sentence:
Old-school isn't a genre. It just Means it's the beginning of something.
Atari 2600=Old school gaming.
Beatles=Old school rock n roll
Bathory=old school Black Metal

Monday 02 May 2011 - 21:48:45
InfinityZero, so how come bands that started playing even after 2000 can sound and play as oldschool as the precursors of the genre? I mean, 'oldschool' is more like a descritpion of a specific style. Nowadays when a band like Cannibal Corpse records an album, they have clarity, perfect mix and everything. Oldschool DM is more obscure, it has a 'garage' sound, it's simply raw. Even in 2011 there are bands that play 'oldschool' Death Metal, but they are mostly underground though. 

Wednesday 04 May 2011 - 11:57:28
As HACK has previously said on another forum titled "Best Old School Death Metal Band", there's a good modern day DM band called Kyrpts. Therefore it is possible for a modern day Death Metal band to make the listener time travel back the late 80's early 90's when brilliant albums were being produced. (Cause of Death, Warmaster, Into the Grave etc etc).
Wednesday 04 May 2011 - 19:33:45

citation :
pavel says : InfinityZero, so how come bands that started playing even after 2000 can sound and play as oldschool as the precursors of the genre?

Well, that's just a band emmulating an old stlye, but they can't take it anywhere 'cause that'd be making it new. Anyone can emmulate good old stuff (Perversor and Power from Hell are two bands with an old school sound that I enjoy). They aren't actually old-school, they just make the music that you'd expect from the old school scene.

Wednesday 04 May 2011 - 23:28:59

citation :
pavel says : InfinityZero, so how come bands that started playing even after 2000 can sound and play as oldschool as the precursors of the genre? I mean, 'oldschool' is more like a descritpion of a specific style. Nowadays when a band like Cannibal Corpse records an album, they have clarity, perfect mix and everything. Oldschool DM is more obscure, it has a 'garage' sound, it's simply raw. Even in 2011 there are bands that play 'oldschool' Death Metal, but they are mostly underground though. 

Many supposed OSDM revival bands don't sound like OSDM at all. They simply sound like caricatures of the old style, emulating the most prominent characteristics without really realizing what's behind the music.

Wednesday 04 May 2011 - 23:34:31
Old-School as in OSDM is a sound. What applies to early Morbid Angel or Asphyx applies to a shitload of newer band with the recent revival.

Less production, no fucking trigs, no Pig squeals or shrieks. Obviously some of the newer OSDM bands only jumped in the bandwagon but there are some nice ones too. Encoffination, Father Befouled, Dead Congregation, etc.

Saturday 13 August 2011 - 22:08:24

Sunday 21 August 2011 - 23:00:37
I agree that OSDM could often be described as 'Thrash' or being 'thrashier', as the above poster stated.

Some classic OSDM/Thrash favorites:

Destruction - Infernal Overkill (their best album and one of my all-time favorite albums)

Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales/Emperor's Return
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Sodom - Obsessed by Cruelty
Slayer - Hell Awaits

Monday 22 August 2011 - 09:16:34

citation :
Misfit74 says :
Slayer - Hell Awaits

Hmmm, I'm not an expert on oldschool death metal. BUT, i'm not sure if they are oldschool Death Metal

(Except for Sodom, they have influenced many Death Metal bands... i think)

Monday 22 August 2011 - 09:21:27

citation :
miniradman says :

citation :
Misfit74 says :
Slayer - Hell Awaits

Hmmm, I'm not an expert on oldschool death metal. BUT, i'm not sure if they are oldschool Death Metal

(Except for Sodom, they have influenced many Death Metal bands... i think)

None of them are OsDM, most are OSTM, with the exception of CF whihc is OSBM Nice list anyways

Spirit of Metal Webzine 2003-2024
site developed and maintained by Spirit of Metal Team