Discussions about Music >> Can unblack metal ever be good?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Wednesday 16 March 2011 - 05:41:55
Let's face it, unless we start mixing in other subgenres, Black Metal is generally a pretty Negative style of music. Across its spectrum, there are various types of Negativity, be it Hatred, Depression, melancholy, Anger, nihilism, whatever- but there's always SOME form of Negativity somewhere in the music

Which leads me to this? Can "unblack metal" (aka Black Metal that is predominantly Christian in its lyrical themes/generally tries to express Christian ideologies in their music) ever really work? I don't really think so, for a few reasons:

a) Because of the aforementioned Negativity, Black Metal with a positive lyrical theme would inevitably lead to an unwanted contrast in the music, making it more difficult to identify with.

b) Seeing as Black Metal is rather satanic in nature, many Black Metal fans would most likely shun Christian BM bands due to their ideologies, leading little room for bands of the sort to thrive and multiply.

c) Not one unblack metal band I've ever heard doesn't suck ass.

There we go. Agree with me, argue me, try to prove me wrong by showing me some good unblack metal, whatever. Get on it!

Wednesday 16 March 2011 - 06:40:15
I have searched endlessly on many occasions to find an unblack metal band that is good.

Though you may disagree, there is only one unblack metal band that I find is good: Antestor. NoNe others I found were any good.

It can exist among the rest of Black Metal, but there will always be Hate towards it.

Wednesday 16 March 2011 - 07:26:05
only Unblack band that i really like is Immortal Souls, they're alot more melodic than most "unblack" bands, but they're still heavily Christian influenced.

Wednesday 16 March 2011 - 14:12:46
You have a good point there. Black Metal is a rather dark and Evil music, it's kinda stupid (unless you're a parody band) when bands come up and sing about Christianity, hope etc. Though I find the Satanic texts ridiculous too.
The reason why so many Unblack bands suck is because the musicians are not "evil" enough for this dark music. They play a music that is completely out of their league.
The only good Unblack band I know is Drottnar, and they sing more about war than christianity anyway.

Wednesday 16 March 2011 - 14:47:47
Well, unblack metal isn't positive, at least not always.
Lyrics may be Christian-based, but they're still negative. Talks of holy fire/judgement day, death to sinners, Mass murder, Destruction to non believers...
It isn't always like this but hey, that's mighty Negative stuff.

Wednesday 16 March 2011 - 17:45:17
I checked out Antestor; and yeah, they aren't bad at all, but you can't help but notice the symphonic and more melodic elements thrown in to their music as well. It's progressive Black Metal for sure, so I'm still kind of questioning whether or not you can take the traditional Black Metal formula, put Christian lyrics on it, and make something that really fits. Still, though, solid band, definitely an interesting one.

citation :
InfinityZero says : Well, unblack metal isn't positive, at least not always.
Lyrics may be Christian-based, but they're still negative. Talks of holy fire/judgement day, death to sinners, Mass murder, Destruction to non believers...

A well made point, and now that I think about it, a lot of the unblack bands tend to take this approach, but the only thing is, like psycho_metal pointed out, the war/death/destruction themes often become the main focus of the lyrics and the whole "getting the Christian message across" thing kind of becomes an afterthought.

Wednesday 16 March 2011 - 20:09:25

citation :
InfinityZero says : Well, unblack metal isn't positive, at least not always.

Black metal about christianity, its like a gospel about satan. To me christian religion in metal is a very odd combination! Its like Oil and water: they dont mix well

Wednesday 16 March 2011 - 21:18:01
Well, I've read the Satanic bible and the Christian bible, and the Satanic bible is a lot more tame; there's almost no death. In the Christian bible, there's Incest, rape, genocide, Mass murder, racism, disease, famine, 10 year-olds getting preggers...
That's more 'br00tal' than a lot of Black Metal songs about Satan. The song De Mysteriis DOM Sathanas is supposedly the most satanic metal song out there, and the only thing that dies in it is a goat. So I guess the appeal for unblack metallers is the Brutality of a GOD who is supposed to be loving... and just like how most black metalists aren't satanists, I'm sure not all unblack metallers are Christian.

Thursday 17 March 2011 - 20:01:00

citation :
InfinityZero says : Well, I've read the Satanic bible and the Christian bible, and the Satanic bible is a lot more tame; there's almost no death. In the Christian bible, there's Incest, rape, genocide, Mass murder, racism, disease, famine, 10 year-olds getting preggers...
That's more 'br00tal' than a lot of Black Metal songs about Satan. The song De Mysteriis DOM Sathanas is supposedly the most satanic metal song out there, and the only thing that dies in it is a goat. So I guess the appeal for unblack metallers is the Brutality of a GOD who is supposed to be loving... and just like how most black metalists aren't satanists, I'm sure not all unblack metallers are Christian.

You really got a point there

Thursday 17 March 2011 - 20:37:57

citation :
InfinityZero says : and just like how most black metalists aren't satanists, I'm sure not all unblack metallers are Christian.

This intrigues me. I thought unblack metal was simply Black Metal with a Christian lyrical focus- but then again, I'm not all that educated on the micro-genre. What is it, if it isn't that?