Black Metal >> What got you into black metal?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Wednesday 31 March 2010 - 08:23:29
i started listening to Black Metal because my friend or my parents was saying that Black Metal was satanic or something and me being a rebel at that point of time...well just started listened to it and therefore got hooked...

Thursday 10 June 2010 - 23:17:48
I was 15 and at a local record store in my Area and came across a used Mayhem: Deathcrush album. Of course I bought it, and that set sail to my interest in Black Metal. Back then I used to look at the thank-yous in the albums, to see what other bands were affiliated with whom. Took me years of this, hahaha. I also used to read Terrorizor way back then, when it was good. As well as Metal Maniacs. Used to look into the pen-pals section. Then all of the sudden the internet made things easier, of course. It wasn't THAT long ago, but finding decent bands and info on the internet was pretty rare around 12 years ago!

Monday 14 June 2010 - 02:29:30
1 year ago, my friend told about this band called Dimmu Borgir. He listens to punk and such, so I thought it was just an oddly named punk band. I was wrong. The heaviness just punched me in the face harder than a train crashing into a another train.

Even though they were the gateway into Black Metal, the real Kick to the face was Mirrorthrone. Vladimir Cochet has to be one of the most talented people in history. Mirrorthrone would make any classical music composer proud to know that their music influenced one of the most Brutal and relentless bands I know.

The Fecal Rebellion by Mirrorthrone has to be one of the most experimental and beautiful Black Metal songs I know of. Face smashing fun!

Sincerely,
Mercenarion

Saturday 04 December 2010 - 15:16:12
Probably Deathcore, Reading that Deathcore had traits of both Death Metal and Black Metal. I Experimented with both and I like both. I liked Death Before Black. Black Metal was an aquired taste for me.

Saturday 04 December 2010 - 16:29:13
I wanna know who the Hell said Deathcore had traits of Black Metal in it. Probably some stupid marketing tactic.

Anyway.
BLack metal was a slow progression for me. This is a long story, so get your popcorn. I was watching an animated internet series called 'Castle' (Trust me, it's great) and at the first part where the monsters start attacking soldiers, a really heavy song (that was my 13-year-old take on it) started playing. In the credits it said the song was Puritania by Dimmu Borgir. I youtubed it, listened to songs like Hybrid Stigmata and Progenies. After a while of listening to these songs, I wanted to listen to the early stuff. I started For All Tid, the song Det Nye Riket comes on, and I'm like... what is all this soft slow stuff? This can't be Dimmu, this sucks. I didn't really like the songs, and I think I got to like, track 4 or something.

A while later, I wanted the Dimmu album PEM. I was visiting Toronto, I went to the CD store, and I SAW the Stormblast MMV. I went on to the next day, debating whether or not to buy it. I decided what the heck, I might as well. So I go to the store and it isn't there.

I ask if there are any other CD stores around and we go to another store, which is AMAZING. Burzum records, original pressing Slayer records, rare CDs... I go to find Stormblast, and I notice rather than a goat's Head there's a tower with lightning. I thought the only difference was album artwork, and I bought it. Afterwords I find out that it's an early Dimmu release, and that the MMV was something different, more recent. I'm skeptical, and then on the plane ride home I Decide to listen to it. A Thunder Storm starts up outside the plane as I start to play it (I'm really not kidding) and well... it was an incredible experience. That first time hearing Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen was like Nothing else. This was December 23rd, 2008.

From there on I tackle Black Metal bands, trying to find stuff I like. Satyricon, Immortal, Emperor, Burzum. It was great.

Now every time Christmas rolls around I play the crap out of my Stormblast CD.

Saturday 04 December 2010 - 18:00:48

citation :
InfinityZero says : I wanna know who the Hell said Deathcore had traits of Black Metal in it. Probably some stupid marketing tactic.

Anyway.
Black Metal was a slow progression for me. This is a long story, so get your popcorn. I was watching an animated internet series called 'Castle' (Trust me, it's great) and at the first part where the monsters start attacking soldiers, a really heavy song (that was my 13-year-old take on it) started playing. In the credits it said the song was Puritania by Dimmu Borgir. I youtubed it, listened to songs like Hybrid Stigmata and Progenies. After a while of listening to these songs, I wanted to listen to the early stuff. I started For All Tid, the song Det Nye Riket comes on, and I'm like... what is all this soft slow stuff? This can't be Dimmu, this sucks. I didn't really like the songs, and I think I got to like, track 4 or something.

A while later, I wanted the Dimmu album PEM. I was visiting Toronto, I went to the CD store, and I SAW the Stormblast MMV. I went on to the next day, debating whether or not to buy it. I decided what the heck, I might as well. So I go to the store and it isn't there.

I ask if there are any other CD stores around and we go to another store, which is AMAZING. Burzum records, original pressing Slayer records, rare CDs... I go to find Stormblast, and I notice rather than a goat's Head there's a tower with lightning. I thought the only difference was album artwork, and I bought it. Afterwords I find out that it's an early Dimmu release, and that the MMV was something different, more recent. I'm skeptical, and then on the plane ride home I Decide to listen to it. A Thunder Storm starts up outside the plane as I start to play it (I'm really not kidding) and well... it was an incredible experience. That first time hearing Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen was like Nothing else. This was December 23rd, 2008.

From there on I tackle Black Metal bands, trying to find stuff I like. Satyricon, Immortal, Emperor, Burzum. It was great.

Now every time Christmas rolls around I play the crap out of my Stormblast CD.

Very nice story, bro. A story like that could convince you to listen to Black Metal for the rest of your life

@ miniradman Deathcore... has BM influences? NO WAY MAN!

Saturday 04 December 2010 - 23:05:39

citation :
Panzerjager says :

citation :
InfinityZero says : I wanna know who the Hell said Deathcore had traits of Black Metal in it. Probably some stupid marketing tactic. 

@ miniradman Deathcore... has BM influences? NO WAY MAN!

Nah, dude. It didn't say it had Black Metal influences. It just said that it has similar aspcts. Fast tempos, Shreiked Vocals. Those two traits were enoungh to wanna make me listen to some BLACK METAL! 0

Awesome story InfinityZero!

Tuesday 14 December 2010 - 00:57:42
I was naturally drawn to Black Metal and metal in general, much like how 90% of all people are drawn to masturbation.
You don't know exactly why you're trying it out, but The End result is several orgasms.

Damn that was a fucking great analogy. But yeah, I just found Black Metal as I explored music deeper and deeper, looking for the most Depraved, Twisted and Extreme music I could find.

Tuesday 14 December 2010 - 04:48:38
I got into Black Metal when I was fifteen or sixteen, because of Dissection's first two albums, Bathory's early efforts, and the first Mayhem EP.

I'm not into it nearly as much as trad/thrash/death, but it does have some of my Absolute all-time favourite albums (Blood Fire Death, De Mysteriis DOM Sathanas, Pure Holocaust, and The Somberlain).

Thursday 16 December 2010 - 18:14:35
Sounds like you prefer your Black Metal heavy and fast!
Good stuff.