Musicians >> What Are Your Favourite Death Growlers?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Monday 09 May 2011 - 15:35:59
John McEntee - his growl is purely Insane

Saturday 14 May 2011 - 18:24:36
Scott Lewis of Carnifex,
John Gallagher of Dying Fetus,
Mikael Åkerfeldt of Bloodbath,
Ross Dolan of Immolation,
Zdenek of Godless Truth,
Muhammed Suicmez of Necrophagist.

Monday 16 May 2011 - 07:28:13

Friday 20 May 2011 - 04:02:10

citation :
pavel says : John McEntee - his growl is purely Insane

I swear he sounds like Chris Reifert at times. That's a very good thing.

A bunch of mine:

-Craig Pillard, also from Incantation. I don't think there's a more intimidating gutteral vocalist in Death Metal, Satan wished he sounded as Evil as this motherfucker did. Pillard's vocals literally makes [I]Onward to Golgotha[/I] - one of the best Death Metal records already - into one of the most suffocatingly Evil records of all time.

-David Vincent. His vocals are absolutely appalling nowadays, but his vocals on Altars of Madness are absolutely brilliant, period. Seriously you couldn't have gotten a better one for that record, his raspy yet intelligible style lends a unique Voice to arguably death metal's greatest record.

-Mike Van Manstrigt. He was the vocalist for Sinister on their first three records, and his percussive, low-pitched style was perfect for that band. His growls were comprehensible, but more shouty and percussive in nature, along the lines of a less obscenely guttural Frank Mullen. Fantastic vocalist, have no idea where the fuck he went off to.

-Jeff Becerra. His growls were raspy and Hellish, but also powerful and weirdly spirited in nature, perfectly fitting Possessed on their masterful debut record. One of death metal's best singers, though the later Possessed works Saw him revery back to a more standard thrash shout.

I second Martin Van Drunen and Frank Mullen.

Friday 20 May 2011 - 04:47:01
Ross Dolan
-Vocals that are deep, clear and crushing. No cracking, no running out of breath and going higher, Ross's growls are always perfect. My all-time favourite growler for my all-time favourite Death Metal band. No other growler would suit Immolation.

Craig Pillard
-See Loudpipes post. Craig and Shawn's vocal style is very similar, but Craig's by Far more intimidating.

Shawn Hache
-Craig Pillard is definitely an influence on this guy. His growls are demonic. They are like gurgling waves. Though they are fairly similar to Craig's, Craig's are Far more intimidating (as Loudpipes said) and raspy, while Shawn's are more guttural and atmospheric.

Vladimir Cochet
-Weeping Birth, his growls are among the, if not, the most bellowing I've heard. A good description for his growls is the equivalent of being kicked in the face.

Mark Edward Astorian
-The most disturbing growls (and vocals) I've heard in death metal. His growls are purposely creaky and changing, but they are changed at the right moments, giving a feeling of Insanity in the music.

Friday 20 May 2011 - 10:49:31
A nice video is better than words sometimes:

Bluuurgh...'s Jason Kohnen :

Denial (MEX)'s Huerta :

Friday 20 May 2011 - 13:33:52
Chris Reifert of Autopsy is obviously the best, just sayin'.

I also love the pairing of the two vocalists on early Carcass albums, especially on Symphonies of Sickness when it was Bill Steer and Jeff Walker. It was a great pair up and gave a lot of help towards making the album seem fuller.

Saturday 11 June 2011 - 01:03:49
Glen Benton =/= good vocalist

Yup, that's right I said it!! Lolz, I frankly don't see why people like him. his death growling sounds more like he's severely constipated. .
anyways
My favorites are

1. Frank Mullen- His vocals on Effigy of the Forgotten were crushing and monstrous, and even now his Voice is insanely crushing and burtal.
2. Chris Barnes- Back in 1991-1994, Chris's growling sounded like Hellish bellowing and I literally haven't heard anybody else who can successfully try to reach the guttural level that he did without sounding overly burpy.
3. Johan Hegg- He is very guttural and sounds like a Viking commander growling at his army to charge into battle.
4. Piotr Wiwczarek- He is very hard to imitate, and his throaty, sort of shouty growling is unique and also Brutal as crap

Saturday 11 June 2011 - 04:09:04

citation :
miniradman says : My favourite growlers will have to be

Mitch Lurker from Suicide Silence and Oliver Sykes From Bring Me The Horizon.

okay, i'm done. That WAS a while ago though, i'll give him that.

Anyways, not ONE mention of Lord Worm?

Fuck you guys. Seriously. I think that guy should go to a hospital because there's a FUCKING Demon LODGED IN HIS THROAT.

Funny story: my mom actually heard the 20-second-long scream in Open Face Surgery, and was instantly impregnated with my fetus. 9 months later she heard it again and her water promptly broke and well, here I am.

The dates even sync up and everything.

Saturday 11 June 2011 - 17:57:46

citation :
MasterpieceMesias says : Glen Benton =/= good vocalist

Yup, that's right I said it!! Lolz, I frankly don't see why people like him. his death growling sounds more like he's severely constipated. .
So what records of Deicide have you heard? Did you hear their debut? Are you familiar with Legion? Fuck that, he sounds amazing even on their new album