Black Metal >> What 5 Black Metal Records Are You Into Right Now
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Sunday 05 June 2011 - 17:51:34
Profanum is amazing.

Tuesday 07 June 2011 - 04:41:48

citation :
Praxilla says : Profanum Aeternum's Eminence of Satanic Imperial Art and Flowers of Black Misanthropy. Band from the nineties. Apparently defunct now. I've been craving that perfect blend of dark ambient/dark classical (And believe it or not it's actually pretty hard to find) with or without metal, and they have all of the occult ambiance that I seem to be looking for, atm.

Sarcofago's INRI
Ulver's Vargnatt
Mercyful Fate's Melissa
Ulver's Bergtatt

INRI is an awesomely raw and Brutal album, they could barely speak a word of english on that record. the song lyrics are ridiculous, i actually found a copy of it for $4 at a local record store... retail price on Amazon goes for around $85 used last i checked.

Tuesday 07 June 2011 - 06:28:05
Lucky bastard, that's a rare one for sure if it's an original pressing.

"If you are a false, don't entry, or you'll be burned and died!"

I think I'm gonna make that my new signature. "Only Death is Real" had a good run.

Tuesday 07 June 2011 - 08:11:48
INRI never quite resonated with me the same way that other Brazillian bands or old Sodom did, but it's a Kick ass record for sure.

Stuff:

-Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon: I'm genuinely surprised at how divisive this band is. Beherit took the Sarcofago and Blasphemy style of really primitive, Savage black/death/thrash metal and infused it with one of the most utterly Fucked Up senses of atmosphere i've ever heard. Part of it is those vocals, but the songs in general just exude such filth and Depravity, within the riffs or the repetitive drumming (sometimes all out blasting, but largely mid-paced as well). It's an experience unlike any other i've heard in Black Metal; if Nothing else I think it should be noted for that.

-Sacramentum's Far Away from the Sun: Aside for late 80's Bathory, this is literally THE greatest thing Sweden ever gave to black metal. Sacramentum wrote some of the most utterly gorgeous, beautiful riffs ever in metal, but the frenetic percussion (though hardly the constant blasturbation of a band like Marduk) and the extremely powerful yet stifled vocal delivery brilliantly juxtaposes against them. The riffs are stunning, the songs are utterly masterful in structure and memorability, and the performances are dynamic. The production job is perfect too,

People write off Sacramentum as Dissection clones. I can't help but think those don't listen to both bands that closely. Both groups accomplished entirely different things and had largely different goals in mind, so even though they're Black Metal from Sweden, they're not as comparable to me as most others seem to think.

I'll do writeups for these three when i'm not dead tired:

-Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon
-Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids
-Blasphemy - Blood Upon the Altar

Wednesday 08 June 2011 - 01:20:54

citation :
Loudpipes says : INRI never quite resonated with me the same way that other Brazillian bands or old Sodom did, but it's a Kick ass record for sure.

Stuff:

-Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon: I'm genuinely surprised at how divisive this band is. Beherit took the Sarcofago and Blasphemy style of really primitive, Savage black/death/thrash metal and infused it with one of the most utterly Fucked Up senses of atmosphere i've ever heard. Part of it is those vocals, but the songs in general just exude such filth and Depravity, within the riffs or the repetitive drumming (sometimes all out blasting, but largely mid-paced as well). It's an experience unlike any other i've heard in Black Metal; if Nothing else I think it should be noted for that.

attaboy. A true Masterpiece of Black Metal for sure. You can go into it with a thrash mindset, a Black Metal mindset or an ambient mindset and come out satisfied all three times. Really need to purchase this on disc.

citation :
-Sacramentum's Far Away from the Sun: Aside for late 80's Bathory, this is literally THE greatest thing Sweden ever gave to black metal. Sacramentum wrote some of the most utterly gorgeous, beautiful riffs ever in metal, but the frenetic percussion (though hardly the constant blasturbation of a band like Marduk) and the extremely powerful yet stifled vocal delivery brilliantly juxtaposes against them. The riffs are stunning, the songs are utterly masterful in structure and memorability, and the performances are dynamic. The production job is perfect too,

People write off Sacramentum as Dissection clones. I can't help but think those don't listen to both bands that closely. Both groups accomplished entirely different things and had largely different goals in mind, so even though they're Black Metal from Sweden, they're not as comparable to me as most others seem to think.

...this, not so much. Never been big on Sacramentum, Dissection, or any other overly melodic black metal- to me, melody in Black Metal only really works when
it's cleverly masked and slowly reveals itself to you, like in bands such as Horn and Obtained Enslavement. I can't pick out any real reason I dislike Sacramentum though- they're a great and that I dislike.

Wednesday 08 June 2011 - 02:15:45
ever listened to Dawn? Slaughtersun is one of my favorite Black Metal albums right now, it's got alotta good melodies thrown in with the standard Black Metal riffs and stuff

Wednesday 08 June 2011 - 02:28:11

citation :
Demogorefest says : ever listened to Dawn? Slaughtersun is one of my favorite Black Metal albums right now, it's got alotta good melodies thrown in with the standard Black Metal riffs and stuff

Heard it a while ago. Gotta give it another listen.

Wednesday 08 June 2011 - 04:56:54
Slaughtersun is a really good album,but it could've been truly great if the band didn't drag itself out for too long. Now, Naer Solen Gar Nider for Evogher is absolutely incredible; alongside Sacramentum and Dissection it is the pinnacle of Swedish BM to me. The EP between their two records is great too.

I love the Swedish style of black metal. BM to me is probably the most overtly Melodic Metal subgenre overall (of course there are bands that use dissonance), at least as how i've always seen it. I DO have a huge problem with Swedish BM along the lines of anything Dark Funeral did after their first EP, or Marduk post-Those of the Unlight though.

Wednesday 08 June 2011 - 17:29:43

citation :
Mercenarion says :

citation :
Demogorefest says : ever listened to Dawn? Slaughtersun is one of my favorite Black Metal albums right now, it's got alotta good melodies thrown in with the standard Black Metal riffs and stuff

Heard it a while ago. Gotta give it another listen.

some of the songs are waay better than others on there, Ride the Wings of Pestilence, Falcula, Malediction Murder, and the Knell and the World are some of the most epic, Majestic Black Metal songs i've heard in a long time, but Aphelion Deserts and The Stalker's Blessing are a little bit boring and repetitive.

Thursday 09 June 2011 - 02:44:50

citation :
Loudpipes says :
I love the Swedish style of black metal. BM to me is probably the most overtly Melodic Metal subgenre overall (of course there are bands that use dissonance), at least as how i've always seen it. I DO have a huge problem with Swedish BM along the lines of anything Dark Funeral did after their first EP, or Marduk post-Those of the Unlight though.

Really? I honestly think quite a bit of Swedish BM is bland and interchangeable. There's obviously some exceptions like Abruptum and Vondur, and I can tolerate some earlier Dark Funeral, but really, a lot of the subgenre is just glorified Gothenburg melodeath. I don't want to sound cliche, but I much prefer the Norwegian scene...so many good bands came out of that era, and not just the obvious ones involved in the whole church-burning-inner-circle stuff that everybody knows of already, I'm talking about bands like Ildjarn, Aeturnus, Thorns, In The Woods..., Ved Buens Ende...there was just so much good that came out of that scene and so much of it was criminally overlooked because a lot of people have the mindset of "Oh, I've listened to Darkthrone, Mayhem, Burzum, Enslaved and Immortal, I know everything there is to about Norwegian black metal!"
tragic.