Folk & Viking Metal >> Favourite folk/viking songs
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Thursday 23 December 2010 - 16:26:52
I believe you Lyrics always sound more 'meaningful' or 'serious' when you don't understand them - I can tell some songs are about drinking or some sort of war Anthem, but that's about it.

The idea is that the song is good, and the language spoken adds a bit to the atmosphere or what the music expresses.

Thursday 23 December 2010 - 16:36:42

citation :
I'm not that into Martolea, but I have to admit it's freaky music, really look forward to what the guy will do in the future. By the way he uses those folk instruments, it might evolve into a 'monster' in the next years, considering that's his first attempt.

Martolea's first demo Galmele Intunericului wasn't so good. I like only two songs:  Fata Padurii and Muma Padurii. I don't like the drums.
But Noaptea Dihaniilor is freaking awesome. I like all songs (especially Joimaritele, Zorii and Rasaritul Lunii).
In all his songs, he uses instruments like: dramba, bucium, fluier and caval.
It sounds very good. The lyrics are awesome too.
I'm waiting for the next album now.

Thursday 23 December 2010 - 16:50:58

citation :
Margrave says :

citation :
I'm not that into Martolea, but I have to admit it's freaky music, really look forward to what the guy will do in the future. By the way he uses those folk instruments, it might evolve into a 'monster' in the next years, considering that's his first attempt.

Martolea's first demo Galmele Intunericului wasn't so good. I like only two songs:  Fata Padurii and Muma Padurii. I don't like the drums.
But Noaptea Dihaniilor is freaking awesome. I like all songs (especially Joimaritele, Zorii and Rasaritul Lunii).
In all his songs, he uses instruments like: dramba, bucium, fluier and caval.
It sounds very good. The lyrics are awesome too.
I'm waiting for the next album now.

Oh, didn't know about the second one. Only have Galmele Intunericului...You're right, the guy needs to play drums better (or get a drummer) I'll check out the second one.

Thursday 23 December 2010 - 17:23:44

citation :
Panzerjager says :

citation :
Raina says : My last post is huge...

Huge in both size and informative worth . You mentioned some great bands btw. About some folk bands you can tell interesting things like:
Did you know that Skyforger - good band, no doubt about it- has ever been accused of nazism?

You should really know the english translation of several lyrics of Heidevolk. They are in Dutch and when I listen to them i always have to laugh. They are sometimes so... ridiculous.

I have checked the translation of Vulgaris Magistralis, pretty funny

Thursday 30 December 2010 - 03:39:07
I think I noticed somebody else had posted it but Victory songs and The longest Journey (Heathen Throne part 2) by Ensiferum are two of the greatest Folk Metal songs ever recorded, they have a way with creating those epic Viking ballad songs on the last track of their albums. Victory songs was the first Folk Metal song I ever listened to, and it just blew me away, Ever Since then, I've been hooked on almost every band in the genre

Monday 10 January 2011 - 00:00:04
Amon Amarth - Guardians of Asgaard
Amon Amarth - Under the Northern Star
Finntroll - Nedgang
Korpiklaani - Vodka
Moonsorrow - Kylän Päässä
Moonsorrow - Ukkosenjumalan Poika
Equilibrium - unter der eiche
Tyr - Tróndur í Gøtu

Thursday 12 May 2011 - 12:51:49
at the moment I have two Viking metal songs I'm obsessed with:

Bathory - "Hammerheart"

Enslaved - "Havenless"

Saturday 25 June 2011 - 20:43:39
I hesitate between "The edge" and "Regin Smidur" and "Styrisvølurin" . Never mind . It's Tyr my favourite folk group .
Or else :
I experiment Fejd and "Eifur" but I don't have favourite songs...all songs seem to be interesting and I think I'm going to buy "Storm" .
Turisas : "battle metal"
Korpiklaani : "Beer Beer"
Kromlek : "När tiden vissnar"
I love Fferyllt, Arkona, Kivimetsan Druidi, Eluveitie but no favourites songs too .