Folk & Viking Metal >> Favourite folk/viking songs
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Tuesday 21 December 2010 - 23:18:18
I don't know if this topic fits here...
Those are mine(no order):

Turisas - Cursed By Iron
Falkenbach - Vanadis
Ensiferum - Treacherous Gods
Bucovina - Tara de Dincolo de Varfuri de Brad
Arkona - Ot Serdtsa K Nebu
Folkearth - Gaelic Valor
Moonsorrow - Pakanajuhla
Korpiklaani - Let's Drink
Finntroll - Midnattens Widunder
Heidevolk - Vulgaris Magistralis

Wednesday 22 December 2010 - 03:35:43
I'm new to Viking/Folk Metal.

I have these Viking/Folk bands in my iTunes library.

Ensiferum - Deathbringer from the Sky
Fjoergyn - Veritas Dolet
Glittertind - Longships and Mead
Gwydion - Turning of the Wheel
Moonsorrow - Sankarihauta
Slartibartfass - St Cuthbert
Adavant - Voyage of the Vagrant Heart
Adorned Brood - Storm
Bran Barr - Rebirth - Morgan's Gift to Righ'Sidh
Eluveitie - Slania's Song
Finntroll - En mäktig här
Korpiklaani - Let's Drink
Metsatöll - Tuletalgud
Svartby - Humus
Turisas - The Land Of Hope And Glory
Waylander - As the Deities Clash

The band that got me into Folk Metal was a band called Metsatöll. Seeing them perform this music live opened my ears to the genre.

I'm always on the look out for new bands, so if you have any recommendations, please give them.

Wednesday 22 December 2010 - 04:28:49
I love Folk Metal, I have alotta favorites, pretty much all of the aforementioned bands are excellent, Excelsis, Skiltron, Svartsot, Yggdrasil, Wolfchant (especially there new album), and Manegarm, XIV Dark Centuries and Mithotyn are some of my favorites too

Wednesday 22 December 2010 - 14:07:22
My first folk/viking song was Heathenpride by Falkenbach.(great song!)

@MothandMoon: Windir, Vintersorg, Trollfest, Conorach, Alestorm, Northland, Martolea, OakenshieldDalriada, Pagan Reign, Thronar are some pretty awesome bands, but i think you have probably heard of them.

@Demogorefest: I like Mithotyn and Wolfchant!

Thursday 23 December 2010 - 01:08:01
Blut im Auge - Equilibrium =
This song shows itself as an exceptional example of integrating folk and metal. The introduction may be a little cheesy with the folk elements, but this has to be the best fucking cheese ever then. The song has great shrieks, the rhythm is amazing also.

Victory Song - Ensiferum =
The name reflects what this song is like. Hearing the chorus makes me want to Fight, obviously I won't, but still, the chorus is just awesome. The screams throughout the verses are Relentless and commanding. These fail in comparison to the godly clean vocals that Arise during the chorus.

Kivenkantaja - Moonsorrow =
A 7 minute epic this one is. It starts out with the folky stuff, but this time it isn't cheesy. Then the metal kicks in. As soon as the metal starts, it crushes you into a pulp. The vocals are exceptional too, but as they are in Finnish, translated lyrics would help.

Empire Falls - Primordial =
Enigmatick explained this one.

Bloodsoaked Velvet - Sólstafir =
Experimental, folk, Viking, avant-garde, strange. Who cares what to call it? This is a true metal gem from Iceland. This song's best attribute (though there be many) is the main riff. It is truly a memorable riff. The vocals take from punk, Black Metal, and psychedelic rock and it turns out to work perfectly. I recommend this one to you guys.

Arborele Lumii - Negura Bunget =
A grim atmosphere envelopes this one. Every instrument is doing it job by contributing to the atmosphere, and it all builds up until it explodes into a torrent of Insanity which seems like the chorus (I may be wrong). The folk elements are not cheesy at all here, they are dark.

Hundiseadus - Tharaphita =
A calming riff starts this beauty off. And soon it goes into the main riff. The vocals are just as amazing as Moonsorrow's, but they are also not in English, just like Moonsorrow's (so just get translated lyrics).

Thursday 23 December 2010 - 03:46:00
Are Inane lists really worth anything? Why don't you guys actually tell me WHY these songs are so good, so actual constructive conversation can start? For all I know you guys are just picking Random songs off a "folk metal song generator" if such a thing exists.

I'll try to be an example here. Like Mercenarion, one particular song I've taken a liking to is Empire Falls by Primordial. amazing folk METAL riffs, with more emphasis on the dark mysticism and Raw Power that metal provides (as opposed to the happy-go-lucky-let's-get-drunk and-dance-around-a-campfire atmopshere usually found in folk music (and Folk Metal by extension)) mixed with the goddamn FANTASTIC vocals makes for a song that never gets old and just lifts me into another world every time I hear it.

I know this takes effort, and I know that's quite the burden for some of you, but together we can make this thread more than one giant list of assorted Folk Metal songs. If I wanted that, I'd go to wikipedia for fuck's sake.

Thursday 23 December 2010 - 04:39:18

citation :
Enigmatick says : Are Inane lists really worth anything? Why don't you guys actually tell me WHY these songs are so good, so actual constructive conversation can start? For all I know you guys are just picking Random songs off a "folk metal song generator" if such a thing exists.

I'll try to be an example here. Like Mercenarion, one particular song I've taken a liking to is Empire Falls by Primordial. amazing folk METAL riffs, with more emphasis on the dark mysticism and Raw Power that metal provides (as opposed to the happy-go-lucky-let's-get-drunk and-dance-around-a-campfire atmopshere usually found in folk music (and Folk Metal by extension)) mixed with the goddamn FANTASTIC vocals makes for a song that never gets old and just lifts me into another world every time I hear it.

I know this takes effort, and I know that's quite the burden for some of you, but together we can make this thread more than one giant list of assorted Folk Metal songs. If I wanted that, I'd go to wikipedia for fuck's sake.

Fucking reviewers . Do you mother lickers ever stop giving such long ass winded opinions on why you like/dislike things.

Thursday 23 December 2010 - 11:01:57
@Mercenarion - Is that a Neggy B creeping up in your list? Yay! One Down, the rest of the forum to go...!

As for the song 'Arborele Lumii' ('The tree of the world' sounds extremely stupid in English, but makes reference to mankind, the relationship man/nature/universe by comparing it to a tree, - has the roots from the light coming from the sky, then it dies/'grows towards the sky' and it surfaces 'both as tree'/food for Maggots and 'as man'/reincarnation? - yeah, it's fancy philosophic poetry. Most of their themes are about 'immortality' in a way or another) you can consider that the chorus, though almost all their songs have rather unconventional structures - melody changes all the time, so does the drumming.
If you want to check the band further...you'll find all sorts of songs from pure Black Metal (their older stuff, and a couple on their newer stuff), suicidal/athmospheric (N' crugu Bradului album) and a lot of weird songs, including more folkish ones with cheesy instruments - like toaca (it's a big plank beaten with hammers and it sometimes replaces the drums), xylophones, panpipes, tulnic and ...a leaf.

Bah...I like cheesy folk, but I'm picky about my cheese. I'll stick with 'because they're awesome', taking into consideration that I have the greatest musical taste ever (in my opinion, of course )

Equilibrium - Wingthor's Hammer , I like it more than 'Blut Im Auge'

Korpiklaani - Let's Drink , try listening to that in a pub with people jumping on tables. This band Means good times!

Heidevolk - Het Wilde Heer, really like the way the vocals blend and create jigs

Arkona - Rus Iznalch'naya, Kolo Navi, Maslenitsa, only the best female vocalist I've ever heard - both melodic and guttural.

Cruachan - Diarmuid and Grainne, metal with irish influences - jolly.

Mythotin - The Old Rover - epic.

Ensiferum - Iron, One more Magic potion, Warrior's quest - epic again.

Moonsorrow - Rauniolla, love the chorus.

Tyr - Ramund hin Unge, Regin Smidur

Turisas - The Land of Hope and Glory

Otyg - Backahasten, Trollslottet

Manegarm - Sigrblot

Thyrfing - Hels Vite

Skyforger - Migla Migla, Rasa Rasa -  'I like it'

Bucovina - Duh , this music Means 'home', your traditional folk songs, just like liking your favorite football team's anthem. Objectively speaking, the band isn't all that great.

and...Negura Bunget - Hora Soarelui, Arborele Lumii, Chei de Roua

I'm not that into Martolea, but I have to admit it's freaky music, really look forward to what the guy will do in the future. By the way he uses those folk instruments, it might evolve into a 'monster' in the next years, considering that's his first attempt.

Thursday 23 December 2010 - 11:15:37
My last post is huge...

Thursday 23 December 2010 - 15:40:08

citation :
Raina says : My last post is huge...

Huge in both size and informative worth . You mentioned some great bands btw. About some folk bands you can tell interesting things like:
Did you know that Skyforger - good band, no doubt about it- has ever been accused of nazism?

You should really know the english translation of several lyrics of Heidevolk. They are in Dutch and when I listen to them i always have to laugh. They are sometimes so... ridiculous.