Black Metal >> Depressive/Suicidal Black Metal
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Thursday 15 November 2012 - 10:15:34
hehehe! interesting I didn't know that he had a new project. I'am gonna check his page. Thanks for the information.

Sunday 24 March 2013 - 07:05:06
i love this sub genre but find some bands claim to be a big part of the genre but just sound like normal Black Metal but with depressing lyrics.

Anyway so Far i am liking(but there is soo much more to discover)

Xasthur - Nocturnal poisoning, telepathic with the Deceased
Silencer - death pierce me
Woods of Desolation - torn Beyond reason
Hypothermia - Rakbladsvalsen, Kold
Abyssic Hate - suicidal emotions
ColdWorld - Melancholie²
Trist - Nostalgie,Sebevrazedni Andele
Wedard - Wandern Am Fluss Der Zeit
Happy Days - Defeated by life
Gris - Il était une forêt...
Nocturnal Depression - Negation
Black Hate (havent managed to get hold of an album yet)
Life is Pain (same as above)
Hopeless (same as above)
annnd Mutiilation - Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul (not sure if his stuff is considered dsbm though)

edit: sorry i didn't realize how old this thread was

Sunday 24 March 2013 - 16:06:51
Well, WasteOfLife, you've defenitely gotten a good start with exploring the niche.
I'm a bit different when it comes to DSBM--I find most of it incredibly cliched and boring and sterile. I don't like most of it. For example, you listed Xasthur, Silencer and Gris... I dislike all of those bands. Well, I kinda like Gris, but they're still not great. I Hate Silencer though; the guy just got himself super overrated in the metal underground by spreading stories of how he tried to murder a five year old with an ax. He's a total Vikernes wannabe!

On the other Hand, I've heard good stuff about Wedard before (and some bad stuff). I'll have to check them out.

The only DSBM bands I've found that I've liked so Far would be:
Leviathan
Urfaust
Echtra

Wow, I thought my list would be bigger than that.

Anyway, I like these bands because their music really takes a different direction and tries a lot of things that most DSBM doesn't try. Their music is much more engaging than a lot of the one-trick ponies out there.

And for the heck of it, a list of DSBM bands I've been meaning to check out from hearing good things about them.

Avsolutionized
Paysage d'Hiver (they're DSBM, right...?)
Trist
Trist (the OTHER Trist, from Germany)
Peordh

(who knows, maybe you'd like those bands?)

Sunday 24 March 2013 - 18:38:31
Luckily i never heard about those stupid story's about Nattramn till after i brought and had thrashed the cd.

I can understand how you don't like Xasthur as they need an aqiured taste.

To be honesT im not liking as much Gris as i did, the more i listen to it the more boring it is getting.

I would definitely check out Wedard, it's not so "cliche" as you would say.

I have that other Trist band, the album Willenskraf, i haven't really listen to it, mainly because i didn't pay for it and feel guilty

No Paysage D'Hiver is pure atmospheric

Remember these are only the bands i like that i have actually heard, there's so many bands i haven't heard that you probably are sick of by now, for instance i don't even own a "Bathory" album

Sunday 24 March 2013 - 20:14:48
I don't think disliking Xasthur comes from not having a proper Taste, as I am fine with a lot of really slow-paced dark music (I like Burial Chamber Trio and most of their songs consist of one note altered over 20-minute periods, for example). I just think Xasthur are very uninspired and stereotypical. I could listen to just about any other DSBM band and get just as much out of it as I would with Xasthur.

Yes, I Saw the band Wedard listed on this guy's epic list of about 300 or so unique Black Metal bands, and so Far this guy's list has not realy steered me wrong. After All, I was introduced to Urfaust because of that list.

Sunday 24 March 2013 - 23:56:35

citation :
wasteoflife! says :

Gris is the only dsbm band that is in my favourites list. I don't see how you think they're boring? Each track on Il était une forêt... posses different; atmosphere, emotion, tempo and musical techniques. But I guess, like anything, it should only be taken in moderation.

Monday 25 March 2013 - 06:32:22

citation :
miniradman says :

citation :
wasteoflife! says :

Gris is the only dsbm band that is in my favourites list. I don't see how you think they're boring? Each track on Il était une forêt... posses different; atmosphere, emotion, tempo and musical techniques. But I guess, like anything, it should only be taken in moderation.

Maybe boring was a bit too harsh a word to use, but compared to a lot of other dsbm i'm finding the only 'emotion' to be in the sound of the vocals, I think they are a good band but don't fit the dsbm category that well ... though i'm not a musician so probably don't appreciate musical techniques and things

Monday 25 March 2013 - 16:32:09

citation :
wasteoflife! says :
Maybe boring was a bit too harsh a word to use

Nope, just right. Gris has some good moments but for the most part they confuse atmospheric stretching and mindless padding. The outro track of their full-length album kicks ass though.

Monday 25 March 2013 - 18:07:03

citation :
InfinityZero says :

citation :
wasteoflife! says :
Maybe boring was a bit too harsh a word to use

Nope, just right. Gris has some good moments but for the most part they confuse atmospheric stretching and mindless padding. The outro track of their full-length album kicks ass though.

that violin instrumental? ha yeah that songs awesome

Saturday 06 April 2013 - 08:26:08
Wounder deepest Wounds dsbm from the uk

You can Stream or buy (name your price) the album on their BANDCAMP page http://wounder.bandcamp.com/album/the-deepest-wounds