Black Metal >> Ambient/Atmospheric?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Friday 05 August 2011 - 08:20:50
I don't see the difference in Ambient Black Metal and Atmospheric Black Metal. Is there a difference?

Friday 05 August 2011 - 08:37:17
Nope. Most, if not all, atmospheric Black Metal has ambient influence in them. Ergo, atmospheric Black Metal is ambient black metal.

Friday 05 August 2011 - 08:46:03
So which is a better term for Atmospheric/Ambient Black Metal bands?

Friday 05 August 2011 - 08:59:07
Both. If a band focuses primarily on both ambient and Black Metal, then just refer to that band as ambient Black Metal (e.g.: Darkspace, Blut Aus Nord, Burzum). If a band focuses primarily on Black Metal with ambient as the secondary component, then just refer to that band as atmospheric Black Metal (e.g.: Deathspell Omega, Infestus, Shining). Both terms are correct, but see ambient Black Metal as the term referring to Black Metal with ambient as a primary focus.

Friday 05 August 2011 - 09:07:35
Ah. Kind of like the differencing between Blackened Death and Death Black on here.

Friday 05 August 2011 - 09:12:51
Exactly. It's just different ratios of the two genres: Black Metal and ambient. Hope that helps you

Friday 05 August 2011 - 09:13:49
No I just need to train my ear to know when it hears the difference.

Friday 05 August 2011 - 09:19:12
I'd classify this as atmospheric Black Metal

And this as ambient Black Metal

Though the underlying style is quite similar, and the atmosphere, the second one has Far more ambient structure and sound to it.

Friday 05 August 2011 - 09:22:15
So it's more about the structure?

Friday 05 August 2011 - 09:28:26
I guess so. Ambient Black Metal, as ambient is a major influence, wouldn't need as strong a song structure for it to be good. But something like the first song, since it doesn't have as much ambient influence, needs a stronger song structure for it be good. Again, it's a matter of the genre ratio.