Avant-garde/Experimental Metal >> Favourite Avant-Garde/Experimental Metal Bands
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Monday 21 February 2011 - 07:33:59

citation :
Enigmatick says :

citation :
miniradman says :

ehh... I thought that Avant-garde was a term that describes any genre of metal that are "different"

Yeah that's definitely not the case. Hybrid genres don't count as avant-garde.

oh, and Fleshgod Apocalypse?
I love the band, but let's not shit ourselves here, not avant garde by a LOOOOONG shot.

We Butter The Bread With Butter is more than just two genres mixed together, they are unlike anything I have heard before (and Ive heard a lot of stuff). I put that there to give you a little bit of an idea of what they are about.

And about Fleshgod Apocalypse, you cannot exactly say they are you typical sounding technical death band out there either.  

Monday 21 February 2011 - 15:56:55
Miniradman, try searching 'avante-garde art' on google or something. Translate what you see into music and you'll probably get a good idea for what avante-garde means.
And if avante-garde meant a combination of genres, then Nu Metal bands like Korn and Slipknot would count as avente-garde. 0

Monday 21 February 2011 - 21:26:09

citation :
miniradman says :

We Butter The Bread With Butter is more than just two genres mixed together, they are unlike anything I have heard before (and Ive heard a lot of stuff). I put that there to give you a little bit of an idea of what they are about.

and yet you have told me Nothing of what they sound like. I listened to them. They're basically Attack Attack + cookie-cutter Deathcore

citation :
And about Fleshgod Apocalypse, you cannot exactly say they are you typical sounding technical death band out there either.  

Yeah I can, and just did. Don't tell me what I can and can't say. They're different in the sense that they do what they do better than most, but stylistically they have Nothing that separates them.

Also, even if they weren't typical, that's still no reason to call them avant-garde. A band being slightly different does NOT equal avant-garde.

Monday 21 February 2011 - 21:59:46
Progressive =/= Avant-garde

Okay since that is now settled...

Raxa : A band headed by a friend of Senmuth, Lefthander, you can expect some epic folk. The atmosphere of this sounds very Ethereal, a kind of post-rock atmosphere merged with neofolk. This is mixed with a death/doom kind of style. Synths lay out the background noise. A very good find.

Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects : The guitarist of Meshuggah does what Meshuggah couldn't... literally confuse the listener. With Grindcore length songs, Insane spurts of metal mixed with acid-filled jazz and shrieking vocals, you get this mindfuck. All of that boring djent stuff floating around lately is made interesting here. The only album, Sol Niger Within, was released in 1997. This could of been the hope for the "djent" stuff out today... oh well...

Defect Noises : Another example of what Meshuggah could be (don't get me wrong, I love Meshuggah, but still). Take Meshuggah and make it double the speed, double the technical, Screw over that 4/4 time signature, and now you have the more atmospheric and mind bending result. The last thing to say, the bass guitar in this band is from Hell... seriously, it is awesome. This and The One above are both one-man bands. This guy though... he uses 10-string electric guitars.

Akphaezya : Lounge music + metal? Yes, try to comprehend that. Take that calming lounge music and Taint it with metal, now you have something extremely unique. Beautiful choruses, avant-jazz oriented riffs in the verses, it is just awesomely weird.

Whourkr : What would happen if Venetian Snares became cybergrind. Extremely strange beats, very odd time signatures, electronics and metal perfectly synchronized. Although, stay away from their first album, it wasn't as good as their newer one. Very melodic at times.

Fist in Fetus : Deathgrind with Extreme classical influences (way more than Fleshgod) industrial rhythms, and well... one of the guitarists of Stratovarius. So let's rule it out... symphonic industrial deathgrind? It does not sound like any deathgrind you'll ever hear.

Tuesday 22 February 2011 - 11:15:16

citation :

citation :
 miniradman says: 

citation :
Enigmatick says: and yet you have told me Nothing of what they sound like. I listened to them. They're basically Attack Attack + cookie-cutter Deathcore

well then... I think you better listen to them again 

citation :

citation :
Yeah I can, and just did. Don't tell me what I can and can't say. They're different in the sense that they do what they do better than most, but stylistically they have Nothing that separates them.

O really? gimme a list of 5 bands that sound EXACTLY like Fleshgod Apocalypse
citation :

Also, even if they weren't typical, that's still no reason to call them avant-garde. A band being slightly different does NOT equal avant-garde.

Ok Fleshgod may not be avant-garde, but I still stick to what I say about We Butter The Bread With Butter.

@InfinityZero: I did end up searching it and it came up with some odd paintings. I also looked it up on Wikipedia and this is what it said 

citation :
Wikipedia says: Avant-garde represents a pushing of the boundaries of what is accepted as the norm or the Status Quo

As Far as I'm concerend, We Butter The Bread With Butter fits this description 0 

Tuesday 22 February 2011 - 22:01:27
Bands like Fleshgod Apocalypse
Spawn Of Possession
Hour Of Penance
Gorod
Arkaik
Decrepit Birth

There, 5 bands. Now understand that: progressive =/= avant-garde

Also, WBTBWB sounds like Deathcore with as keyboard. I don't see at all how that is even experimental... can someone tell me why so many Deathcore bands randomly say brie?

Tuesday 22 February 2011 - 22:54:05

citation :
Mercenarion says : Bands like Fleshgod Apocalypse
Spawn Of Possession
Hour Of Penance
Gorod
Arkaik
Decrepit Birth

There, 5 bands. Now understand that: progressive =/= avant-garde

Also, WBTBWB sounds like Deathcore with as keyboard. I don't see at all how that is even experimental... can someone tell me why so many Deathcore bands randomly say brie?

Don't forget pretty much all the bands on Unique Leader and/or Willowtip records. Dude, if you honestly think Fleshgod Apocalypse are that original, you really need to brush up on your BDM.

(not addressing you, Merc, talking to mini, I'm quoting this cause I agree with everything you said.)

also AHAHAHAHAHA you used Wikipedia. If you're ever going into an argument, and want to have Zero credibility, be sure to use Wikipedia for reference!

Tuesday 22 February 2011 - 23:47:45
Hey, hey, kiddies calm down. Don't want to see another immature Fight

Back to topic... again:

Ewigkeit : An Ethereal soundscape with masked Black Metal shrieks. Such an immense atmosphere is let off, with the guitar, drums and bass playing in a melodic Black Metal style. The structure of it all together does not add up to Black Metal though, it is Beyond that. This is one of those "dark metal" moments.

The Meads Of Asphodel : Yay! Medieval black metal! The rhythms and melodies in the music just don't add up. This odd mash up makes it very unique, but also very good. Addition of medieval instruments and you have something new. Very thrashy at times.

The Axis Of Perdition : In my opinion, Blut Aus Nord's Deranged brother. The music itself is... plain chaos. Laced within the chaos is melody and brutality. Demonic atmospheres are accompanied by truly Unnatural lyrics. I don't even know what to classify this as (then again, that is why the term avant-garde exists).

Shining (SWE) : When one thinks of depressive Black Metal, they think of that slow rhythm, whined shrieks and no bass. Well, Shining here proves otherwise. Between the dark mid-paced riffs are the choruses, which it themselves, are not the average for black metal. They are foreboding, saddening, immensely powerful stuff. I have yet to find a similar band.

Tuesday 22 February 2011 - 23:49:32
Wait does Fleshgod sound like Decrepit Birth? Because Polarity sounds like a REALLY shitty clone album of Death's later era; it doesn't strike me as anything close to Brutal at all.

Tuesday 22 February 2011 - 23:57:59

citation :
Loudpipes says : Wait does Fleshgod sound like Decrepit Birth? Because Polarity sounds like a REALLY shitty clone album of Death's later era; it doesn't strike me as anything close to Brutal at all.

Well, their older stuff was more brutal. I was just trying to find bands similar to Fleshgod. Decrepit Birth carries on more of the progressive side in similarity to Fleshgod, though, so that works out.