Thrash Metal >> The thrash metal you've listened to lately?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Wednesday 08 June 2011 - 17:35:03

citation :
Mercenarion says : Been listening to Exhorder's debut recently. So Far, this is the only good groove metal band.

Slaughter in the Vatican rules, haven't listened to it in ages. Exhorder stomps all over Pantera, their 2nd album was good, but not nearly as awesome as their debut

Wednesday 08 June 2011 - 23:46:16
ONCE DEAD!!!!!

Thursday 09 June 2011 - 02:26:00

citation :
Panzerjager says : Been spinning Slayer (Seasons in The Abyss and Reign in Blood) , Destruction ( Day of Reckoning) and Death Angel (Relentless Retribution) alot the days
so you would recommend Destruction ( Day of Reckoning)?  if you say it's a must i will get that bad boy.
  If you dont...

I will get it anyway.

Thursday 09 June 2011 - 14:55:21
new Destruction is decent, but not great.  

Thursday 09 June 2011 - 19:08:52

citation :
pavel says : new Destruction is decent, but not great.  

Like Pavel said, The new Destruction is what you can expect from this band but it's no a masterpeice like some of their previous works. if you're a die-hard fan, don't wait and get it.

Thursday 09 June 2011 - 21:54:50
Im listening to the demo "Framed Insanity" by Beyond, really awesome thrash that noones ever heard of

Friday 10 June 2011 - 16:01:41
I agree with you all. The new Destruction album is good, but really, it's not one of their best. I liked Devolution more.

Friday 10 June 2011 - 23:38:11
I recently found a Norwegian band that is said to be Thrash Metal called Harm:

It's pretty good stuff.

Saturday 11 June 2011 - 00:24:49
Stuff:

-Slayer's first four records, since this last week had The International Day of Slayer. Absolutely stunning records, all of them and just about the pinnacle of Thrash Metal, if not all of metal as a genre. Hell Awaits is my favourite, but everything is gold.

-Celtic Frost's Morbid Tales: I count CF as black/thrash, though admittedly they influenced so much in Extreme metal's sphere that it's hard to accurately quantify what exactly they were.

Anyway, Morbid Tales was where Tom G. Warrior and Martin Ain transistioned from the sloppy, primal Assault that was Hellhammer towards a more grandiose, Austere feel. The best thing about Celtic Frost is that despite the relative simplicity of their style, they are capable of conjuring such a dark, foreboding atmosphere that truly sounds like nobody else. (despite the fact that the formula this band present was ruthlessly copied Ever Since) The riffwork is brilliant, with a deeply powerful and weighty feel to how they're written, with some pretty damn solid drumming to back them up. Tom G. Warrior's vocals are as gravelly and powerful as you'd expect.

I don't love Celtic Frost as much as I do Hellhammer - a band I pretty much consider to be one of THE canonical examples of metal, period - but there's no doubt about the quality of this EP and To Mega Therion. Excellent, timeless Extreme metal from when it was starting to take form.

-Sodom - Obssessed By Cruelty: Before they became the Thrash Metal institute we know (and mostly love) today, Sodom were some of the most frantic and ferocious black/thrash metal of their era. This record, in particular, tends to get forgotten in the grand scheme of Sodom's career, which makes the influence it has exerted on later Extreme metal (see: Order From Chaos and some of the norse Black Metal bands) all the more surprising.

The biggest thing right off the bat is the production job. There's two versions of the record: the original version which was licensed for the US by Metal Blade, and the re-recorded version, which was only ever release on vinyl in Europe. I've heard both but i'm focusing on the original here, which boasts one of the most lopsided mixes i've ever heard in music. The drums completely dominate the mix, with a really fucking loud yet hollow tone to the snare, and Angelripper and the guitars are left to compete for whatever attention is left. It's hard to get into for that reason. The songwriting overall though is pretty damn good; Sodom clearly became more Adept writers between In the Sign of Evil and this record. The riffwork is sloppy, yet well written and highly memorable, with more of a Venom flavour than later records. Angelripper's vocals are deeper and more powerful here than on the first EP; he found his signature style here and it works out well. Witchhunter is also Far better and he'd better be, being the loudest goddamn thing in the mic here.

This is filled with some of Sodom's most underrated songs, like "Deathlike Silence", the title track, "Equinox", and "Pretenders to the Throne". They're not as tight as later Sodom, but they display some great riffs, ferocious performances, and a really dark sense of atmosphere that Sodom never quite attained ever again. (though Expurse of Sodomy had it here and there) Well worth looking into, though it's easily the most flawed of Sodom's early albums.

Wednesday 15 June 2011 - 17:39:26
Monday - Venom Black Metal & The Waste Lands
Tuesday - Destruction - DEVOLUTION & All Hell Breaks Loose
Today - NO THRASH; just BRAIN DRILL!!!!!