Language Learning >> Swedish
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Saturday 19 February 2011 - 01:57:48
It's been a while since I'm learning Swedish so I decided to make a thread (as there is NoNe).
Well I find Swedish very easy but it has it's difficulties too as well.
First of all I'm loving the melody of this language and as we are on metal forums
this track by Sancta Poenas will help one to get what I mean by the 'melody of language'  

as for actually language,  first stat with letters:
Ä ä -  sounds like a in apple 
Ö ö - sounds like  o in  word
Å å  - sounds like  o above, but it's a bit short o as I noticed.
A a  - sounds like    in under  
O o - well sometimes sounds like o in open ans sometimes like  u in urban. I don't know if there is any rule to know which is which, you just have to know it. 

there are two undefined  articles in Swedish like they have 2 'a', but  it's very simples the articles are:
En and Ett and there are En-words and Ett-words    
which Means you can't use en article with ett-word, again, you have to know which is which.
For example: a woman is  en kvinna  and you just can't say ett kvinna, it's a terrible mistake xD a tree is - ett träd
 so, what about the 'the' article?
well if you want to say the woman you just take the 'en' and put it at The End of the word.for ex:
a woman - en kvinna 

the woman - kvinnan (if word ends with a vowel you add only n)

a wall - en vägg

the wall - väggen  (if word ends with  a consonant, you add en)

it's pretty same with the 'ett-wrods'

an apple - ett  äpple

the apple  - äpple(+ t with vowels)

a house  -  ett husthe house - huset ( + et with consonants )

kinda simple, isn't it?  

and a little about pronouns and 'to be'

I  - Jag
I am - Jag är 

She - hon
She is - hon är

He  - han 
He is  - han är 

They - de  [sounds like dom ]
They are - de är

see? verbs don't change within plural  and pronouns  like it does in English,
which makes Swedish awesome!
well that's enough for the brief  information.

If I made any mistakes, dear native speakers, my all Means correct me please!

once again, I'm not a Swede so if you want something to translate or whatever I can't help you yet.
If I wasn't helpful at all,  I'm sure this vid will be. Once you watch it, you;ll never fail in Swedish, never again!    

Tack för din tid!  

Sunday 20 February 2011 - 16:36:05
A very good guide for a non swede but there is one big mistake. Ö is pronounced like the O in Word, not like the O in Order. It's a big difference as you might tell.

Sunday 20 February 2011 - 19:07:44

citation :
dawn_of_metal says : A very good guide for a non swede but there is one big mistake. Ö is pronounced like the O in Word, not like the O in Order. It's a big difference as you might tell.
oh yes yes, I edited  it , thanks for the   correction. I have difficulties to pronounce Ö like it should be, it's kinda very specific and  so not familiar to me. 

Friday 15 February 2013 - 12:47:15
I study Swedish since last september and I love it! Hope to start with Finnish very soon!