Thrash Metal >> Old Thrash Vs New Thrash?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Getting poll results. Please wait...
Do you think the new wave of thrash is destroying the genre?
Yes, thrash is nothing like how it used to be
No, it has brought back the genre to the modern age
it has saved thrash!
Bring back the old school!!
I don't care

Monday 19 October 2009 - 12:04:51
The past couple of years a new wave of thrash has hit the metal scene, Municipal Waste, Evile...you know who I'm on about. Whatever happened to good old Slayer, Metallica etc ???

I was wondering what you thought about this 'new wave' because personally I think its destroying the thrash genre. It all sounds the same to me nowadays. Bands seem to be writing thrash just for the Hell of it, its almost (I Hate to say it) become a bit of a joke/pop genre. It lacks creativity, originality...I can't say I was there when Slayer etc were at their height but their influence on the metal scene is obvious. What has happened to Thrash??

This is my first post so don't lay in to me too much! Before I get anything about Municipal Waste etc, I have listened to them, a lot have written very catchy music, I'm not laying into the actual bands, just what has happened to the genre.

Monday 19 October 2009 - 23:05:22
well, personally, i like Evile, Municipal Waste, SSS, Bonded By Blood, Lazarus A.D. etc. etc. alot, and compared to all the Nu Metal and Metalcore bands that are labeling themselves as thrash, the new wave of Thrash Metal sounds waay better than As I Lay Dying, Trivium and the other popular Metalcore acts that label themselves thrash. I still love old school Thrash Metal, but i think alotta the newer bands have the potential to really bring real Thrash Metal back from the grave.

Tuesday 20 October 2009 - 00:50:12
I agree.

I really like Evile, Decadence, and Gama Bomb and think they're doing a good job at keeping thrash alive. Every genre has to evolve in some way, other wise every other band would sound like Metallica and Slayer did in the 80s.

I wouldn't say it's become a joke genre, though. There are some old school thrash bands still around that are still kicking ass, like Slayer, Kreator, Exodus, Testament, and Megadeth. And the new bands seem to keep faithful enough to the original thrash bands.

And yeah, I agree, the newer bands do have potential to bring better bands onto the scene and have another explosion like in the 80s.

Monday 26 October 2009 - 21:28:41
Personally i prefer old school thrash but i understand that there is no chance to find this kind of music nowadays. it's true that some bands come close enough to it but that was then and this is now, only very few sound like the oldies. it is very natural that this Evolution has occured and there's nothing that can be done about it.
I listen to some new thrash bands and i must admit that some of them are pretty awesome but nevertheless different. so it's not like these bands destroy the old thrash because there is no old thrash anymore, these bands initiated a new era of thrash which is preferable over having no thrash at all!

Tuesday 27 October 2009 - 21:00:23
QFT

I still stand by a lot of them being awesome, and I'm glad that most of the old thrash bands have kept it together, save for Sepultura and some others.

Monday 07 December 2009 - 10:01:18
well .. i also prefer old school thrash , nothing like the sound of old school thrash ,and about the new thrash bands  .....  better than nothing

Monday 07 December 2009 - 11:21:29

citation :
xentrix86 says : Personally i prefer old school thrash but i understand that there is no chance to find this kind of music nowadays. it's true that some bands come close enough to it but that was then and this is now, only very few sound like the oldies. it is very natural that this Evolution has occured and there's nothing that can be done about it.
I listen to some new thrash bands and i must admit that some of them are pretty awesome but nevertheless different. so it's not like these bands destroy the old thrash because there is no old thrash anymore, these bands initiated a new era of thrash which is preferable over having no thrash at all!

You try Die Hard or Zoldier Noiz. It's not "close enough" it is the real thing.

Other than that, most revivalists are just disappointing.

Thursday 17 December 2009 - 14:32:33
Bring back the Thrash i say.Fuck all this Bring Me The Horizon shite

New Thrash stuff is cool like Evile and the likes,but nothing beats a bita Testament
Anybody ever hear an English band Onslaught?they reformed last year i think?Saw them suppourting Napalm Death,serious tunes

Thursday 17 December 2009 - 14:38:02

citation :
Freddy_123 dit : Bring back the Thrash i say.Fuck all this Bring Me The Horizon shite

New Thrash stuff is cool like Evile and the likes,but nothing beats a bita Testament
Anybody ever hear an English band Onslaught?they reformed last year i think?Saw them suppourting Napalm Death,serious tunes

Onslaught is an old-timer. The Force is a classic.

Friday 18 December 2009 - 19:32:22

citation :
GandhiEgo says :
You try Die Hard or Zoldier Noiz. It's not "close enough" it is the real thing.

Other than that, most revivalists are just disappointing.

ok thank you i will!