Korn >> Korn Singer Felled By Blood Illness
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Monday 19 June 2006 - 12:13:28
To Korn's fans

Korn Singer Felled By Blood Illness

Korn frontman Jonathan Davis is suffering from a blood-related illness, forcing the band to cancel its European tour, Billboard reports.

Davis, 35, was hospitalized in London over the weekend with immune thrombocytopenic purpura, which, according to the National Institutes of Health's Web site, affects the body's ability to stop bleeding.

On the band's Web site, Davis thanks fans for their messages during "some of the scariest days of my life."

Describing his illness, he says, "I started getting these weird bruises all over my body about two weeks ago. I was getting very weak after the shows so I saw a doctor in London Friday. He took some blood tests and when the results came in, they rushed me to the hospital.

"I have ITP," he continues, "a blood infection where, because of an allergic reaction I had to some medication, my blood platelets were really low. If I continued to headbang onstage, I could have had a brain hemorrhage and dropped dead on the spot."

Korn has cancelled tour dates through July 2 and is hoping to reschedule those shows later this year, according to Billboard. However, the U.S. leg of the band's Family Values tour, set to kick off July 27 in Virginia Beach, Va., is expected to go on as planned.

Stone Sour, Flyleaf and Dir En Gray will share the bill.