Unsigned Bands >> Interview - Grotesque (AUS)
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Tuesday 03 April 2018 - 16:31:49

Grotesque are a four piece Death Metal band from Perth Australia. They combine a special blend of modern technical Death Metal, groovy old school riffing and bring a unique original sound into the mix. If you are a fan of decrepit birth, deeds of flesh and dying fetus you will not be disappointed!

Heavy Metal OTD Well Grotesque! How did your name came up? 
Trev :: The name Grotesque came up when the guitarist Marc and I started the band, actually Marc came up with the name and we thought it was cool and it kind of suits the music we play so we just ran with it.

Heavy Metal OTD What type of band are you? 
Trev :: We consider ourselves to be a modern Death Metal band, with our roots from all different types of metal and influences from a diverse range of music.

Heavy Metal OTD Do you have a record label? Are you a member of any music organizations? 
Trev :: No, we aren't signed to a label at the moment but thats not to say we aren't looking!

Heavy Metal OTD Tell us the brief history of your band. 
Trev :: Well, Marc and myself met when his old band was looking for a drummer, anyway that drummer was me, we got along well and decided we should start our own band since we wanted to play similar styles of music. We got a couple of mates to play bass and do vocals, we jammed hard for just under a year before we started playing shows and yeah, the rest is history, we have had a few line up changes here and there but i feel this line up with Josh and Ross is really strong and committed so we're really looking forward to the future and bringing something really brutal to the table.

Heavy Metal OTD One of your greatest achievements among others is the Kataklysm National support! How did you manage to get that slot? Share with us your experience! 
Trev :: That tour was back in 2008 and we had a fucking great time! We got that tour because at the time we were signed to a local label Prime Cuts and we'd just released the Museum record, they were the guys that helped us along the way and it was awesome, all the bands we played with and Kataklysm were all a really good bunch of guys and i think we'd all do it again in a heartbeat!

Heavy Metal OTD What are the main themes or topics for most of your songs? Do you think these topics will change over time? 
Trev :: Our lyrics are mostly centred around historical, technological, scientific, cosmological events and explanations, also some theoretical stuff like mind over matter, alien races, biological manipulation, things like that. I think that for any band to grow with their music there has to be change, whether its a big change or a small change that depends on the individuals, but we are really satisfied with our lyrical content at the moment and I'm sure if it changes we will be cool with it.

Heavy Metal OTD Who are your musical and non-musical influences? 
Trev :: There's a lot, anything from Primus to Decrepit Birth to Helmet to Cannibal Corpse , there really is way too many to name. Non musical, i like reading about secret government type stuff, secret government programs, "alien" technologies, the works of Nikola Tesla and other historical figures etc.

Heavy Metal OTD It’s been 7 months since the release of ‘Feedback Loop’, how the reviews ‘ve been going so far? 
Trev :: Great! We have had fantastic reviews and all so far have been really positive, we did put a lot of effort into this recording and its really come to fruition so, i hope we don't get any bad reviews!

Heavy Metal OTD Where did the recordings of the album take place and how did you manage the process of writing your tracks? 
Trev :: We recorded Feedback Loop with our friend Sam Allen, the drums were tracked in a studio that we payed for and the guitars we recorded at home and re-amped in the studio too. We always start writing our songs from a base of guitars and drums first, just jamming out in the jam room, followed by the bass and lyrics/vocals. This process usually works quite well for us so this is how we are comfortable to write most of our music.

Heavy Metal OTD What are your dreams and goals? 
Trev :: I think all musicians have similar dreams you know, make it big, play really big festivals and shows, record great album and go down in history as a great band, but, we have to be realistic and take one step at a time, writing good content is the first hurdle, our near future goals are to write an even better album than Feedback Loop and to get signed to a label that we will respect and they'll have respect for us.

Heavy Metal OTD How do you promote your band? 
Trev :: We try to promote out band by the use of social media and internet sites etc. We are also trying to get our merchandise wheel rolling which is on its way, and yeah, just write good music and try get it out there for the metal fans.

Heavy Metal OTD What's your outlook on the record industry today? 
Trev :: I think it can be a pretty cut throat industry in many ways but i also think there are many good labels out there wanting to take care of their artists, in terms of the record industry experience these days there's not really much i can tell you as we've had little experience with labels.

Heavy Metal OTD What do you think of the scene in Australia? 
Trev :: The Australian metal scene is really good i think, there are a lot of really awesome bands everywhere and the support for those bands and metal bands in general is really strong, there's a list as long as my arm i can tell you bands with really good guys and girls in them and we are very fortunate to be among those bands. 

Heavy Metal OTD : Anything you would like share, from new merch to upcoming shows/tours or songs/albums? 
Trev :: We have a lot of things going on right now, we are in the process of writing new material for a third full length album, we are planning doing some international shows soon too, we have a great collection of merch that any metal head will love so go check out our merchr shop, grab a copy of Feedback Loop if you haven't yet and STAY FUCKIN BRUTAL!!

Source :: https://heavymetalonthisday.com/Heavy-Metal-OTD-meets-Grotesque/