Language Learning >> Greek
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Wednesday 11 March 2009 - 13:17:44
Hmm, i , with the help of some other Greeks i hope, will try to teach the Greek language . It is not an easy one and i am not the best teacher i guess it worths a try.

So i ll start from the Alphabet

Α , α : Is the first letter and it is vey close to the English "a" ( It sounds as "a" in the word "bad" ) (the real name of this letter is Alpha like "Alpha squad" in the Army..)

Β , β : It sounds like the English letter "v"

Γ, γ : It is a bit difficult to find something close to this but i guess we use it in the place of "g" .But it does not sounds the same.

Δ, δ : It is in the place of "d" . (Its real name is Delta like "Delta squad" in the army or "Delta Force"

I 'll continue in a few minutes...
Next:

Ε, ε : It looks like the english "e" but isnt the same . Imagine that when you say "Hey" the letter "e" sounds like "ε" in Greek .

Ζ, ζ : It is used in the same way as english "z" .For example in the word "Zero"

Η , η : It is the same as the letter "i" .Also it is used as a letter infront of females or female named things. For example when i am talking to someone about Xentrix86 i would say "Η Xentrix86......."

I hope you understand.....

Wednesday 11 March 2009 - 13:28:42
I learned some greek letters while studying Descriptive Geometry but I had no idea of what their sound would be.

citation :
Γ, γ : It is a bit difficult to find something close to this but i
guess we use it in the place of "g" .But it does not sounds the same.

You mean "g" like in "go" or "g" like in "geometry"?

Wednesday 11 March 2009 - 13:33:27
Like in geometry 0  .Thanks, i didnt thought of that example. Geometry is a greek word . We call it : " Γεωμετρια"  0  . In free translation in the science of measurring shapes like the triancle, or the circle.... It doesnt sound like the "g" at all but the closer is that from Geometry.

Wednesday 11 March 2009 - 13:58:59
I 'll continue from here.Its easier than editing my post all the time.

Next Letter :

Θ , θ : Its like the english compination "th" It sounds like "th" in the word "Athlete"

Ι , ι : Its like "i" too.Usually used in The End of the object words. For example the greek word for "eye" is "μάτι"...

Κ , κ : Its like the "k" letter in English and it sounds the same too.Like in  "Kangaroo" 0  . By the way for the word "Kangaroo" we use the word "Κανγκουρό" .As you can see there are similarities between languages... 0

Wednesday 11 March 2009 - 14:11:24
Next Letters :

Λ , λ : It is used in the same way as english "L" in some words it sounds the same, like : "Language"  . The greek word for "Language" is "Γλώσσα" but it is also used for the word "tongue" .It depends on the phrase...

Μ, μ : It is like english "m" .And when used inside words it sounds the same...

Ν, ν : It is the same letter with the english one "n"  like "Nostradamus" 0

Hope its easy so far....

Ξ , ξ  : Its like the english letter "x" .And it sounds like that letter in the word "expand"

Wednesday 11 March 2009 - 15:01:56
where is the difference between ώ and ω
or έ and ε and so on...

Wednesday 11 March 2009 - 15:20:52

citation :
skinless says : where is the difference between ώ and ω
or έ and ε and so on...

I would get to that. That small pointer " ΄ "  shows where is word is pointed.
For example in english we say "clever" and the pointer (without mentioning it) is at the first "e".Its like clEver  .In greek the same word is " έξυπνος "  .The pointer is at the "ε" .  

Wednesday 11 March 2009 - 15:35:26
Next :

Ο , ο  : Like the english letter "o" this looks like Zero too 0  .The difference between this one and the English one is that the greek one ends "earlier" when spoken...

Π , π : Its the greek letter for "P" and it sounds completely the same. 0

Ρ , ρ : I know its bit confusing but its the greek letter for "R" and it sounds like in the word "road"....

Σ, σ : the greek letter for "S" .It sounds the same way when it is inside words.Also when it is in The End of words it turns to "ς"

Τ, τ : Its the same as "t"  as when used it sounds the same .

Υ ,υ : This is a letter that dont really exists in english.This one sounds like "i" too.It has other uses that i 'll explain when i reach letter combinations...

Wednesday 11 March 2009 - 18:23:50
The last ones :

Φ , φ : Being used as the english "F"

Χ , χ : Nothing in common with english "x"....... Sometimes it sounds like the "h" in words like "horror"

Ψ , ψ : This one is like you try to say "ps" one after the other.... 0  Dont know how else to say it....

Last one : Ω , ω : Sounds like "o" too.Its real name is Omega...Maybe you have heard the phrase "I am the Alpha and the Omega"

Wednesday 11 March 2009 - 18:33:00
you made really good. it´s helpful to see how it sounds.
the problem to write here with the keyboard is that some letters are not available.
although i installed the greek keyboard on my windows yet. like the omega.. i dunno where to find it.