Progressive Metal >> Best Prog Metal Album?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Saturday 19 November 2011 - 16:13:18
If you've seen other topics on this forum, you will realize Dream Theater is one of my favorite prog metal bands so I have to say Images And Words or Metropolis Pt. 2.  Both of those just set new standards for prog metal.  What about you all?

Saturday 19 November 2011 - 17:56:52

The Ocean's Precambrian is my all-time favourite Progressive Metal album. When a band uses orchestras, odd instruments and irregular song Structures can make it seem like the band performing which is pretentious. Whatever happened in the making of this album made it all of those added together, without being pretentious. The composition is flawless, the variety of vocals makes everything interesting, the metallic part ranges from Intense and sludgy to calm, prog rock-esque and all of the additional instruments (orchestras included) are structured into the original music. This final point it a major one; bands like Fleshgod Apocalypse just layer the symphonic stuff above their music, making it sound cheesy and annoying. The orchestra/other instruments in this are varied, playing when necessary and not acting as a an irritating background. One last point: the lyrics are amazing.

EDIT: Okay, the album isn't pretentious, but my description sounds pretentious.

Sunday 20 November 2011 - 20:47:54

citation :
Mercenarion says :

The Ocean's Precambrian is my all-time favourite Progressive Metal album. When a band uses orchestras, odd instruments and irregular song Structures can make it seem like the band performing which is pretentious. Whatever happened in the making of this album made it all of those added together, without being pretentious. The composition is flawless, the variety of vocals makes everything interesting, the metallic part ranges from Intense and sludgy to calm, prog rock-esque and all of the additional instruments (orchestras included) are structured into the original music. This final point it a major one; bands like Fleshgod Apocalypse just layer the symphonic stuff above their music, making it sound cheesy and annoying. The orchestra/other instruments in this are varied, playing when necessary and not acting as a an irritating background. One last point: the lyrics are amazing.

EDIT: Okay, the album isn't pretentious, but my description sounds pretentious.

I have to say I'm quite embarrassed to have never heard of this band or album but I love what I hear.  This is quite an album.