Death Metal >> Old Death Metal vs New Death Metal
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Getting poll results. Please wait...
Which Do you Perfer?
Old Death Metal
Modern Death Metal
Neither, they both suck
I can't decide...
Black Metal "FTW"

Monday 11 July 2011 - 02:16:12
Ok, I'm not sure how many people cried when they read the title but I would like to know some people's thoughts on this topic. Which is better and why. I'm not talking old school Death Metal vs br00tal slammin death or anything like that. Just when do you think had the best Death Metal around.

Sorry guys, but I can't decide 0

Monday 11 July 2011 - 02:29:35
Old School Death Metal is primarily better. There is some good modern Death Metal, but there are Far more classic albums.

Monday 11 July 2011 - 02:48:49
Well no shit there are more classics, a classic achieves that status over time. Wait 10 years, we'll have loads of classics.

I Hate to cop out, but I can't Decide either. While OSDM albums are objectively "better", reeking of atmosphere and dark Brutality, a lot of the time I don't really FEEL the atmopshere and the riffs personally. Modern shit has a lot less depth,  more gimmicks and more flashy superficial substance, but I get more enjoyment out of modern stuff for those very reasons, because due to the assloads of Death Metal out there the modern bands I listen to frequently have to have even more creativity and vision (Mithras, Portal, Defeated Sanity) to succeed.

Perhaps I just need to absorb OSDM better and listen to more Death Metal in general, but yeah.

oh, and I voted for Black Metal cause black metal's awesome no matter what year it came out.

Monday 11 July 2011 - 11:34:09
for me it's an easy choice - I'm not listening to anything that could ever be described as 'modern DM' I mean, we discuss styles in DM here, not the timeline ? there are many bands created even after 2000 that play great piece of OSDM

Monday 11 July 2011 - 13:02:23
@ Enig: Wait, you listen to Portal? What albums do you suggest? They've got a pretty cool theme, like watch the video on their SoM page. (What's that box thing the vocalist wears?)

Anyways back to the topic, I'd go with OSDM. Gotta love the OSDM riffs, such as Bolt Thrower's "What Dwells Within". I also like how the tempo (from the OSDM ive heard) is slow, like in Obituary's "Infected" yet its also fast and technical. Nowadays it seems its just about how fast you can play. But, having said that, there are some really good modern Death Metal bands such as Bloodbath, Kataklysm, Demonical ( I think they've got a OSDM type of sound.)etc etc.
Also some modern Death Metal bands are keeping the Old school sound alive. These bands include; Krypts, Stench of Decay, Demonical, Entrails, Graveyard
Monday 11 July 2011 - 15:25:16
I'm training myself in the arts of Death Metal and am consuming recommendations, but so Far its all been stuff before '95, so I'm assuming that's old school. My three favorite Death Metal albums so Far are (not including more than one album from any band):

#1 Severed Survival-Autopy
#2 Symphonies of Sickness-Carcass
#3 Spiritual Healing-Death

Those are all old-school, right?
I've also now heard Like An Ever Flowing Stream that Loudpipes recommended. I like some moments here or there, but I'm not 'into' it yet.
I find that almost always, I dislike a Death Metal album at first, but it grows on me slowly. I know I didn't like Severed... or Symphonies... when I first heard them and now I love them, so maybe it'll be the same for LAEFS.

Monday 11 July 2011 - 20:54:48
I'm not into death, but I like some bands, like Cannibal Corpse, Prositute Disfigurement, Suffocation and some bands from Serbia.

And epic bands like Carcass and Death. I love them.

R.I.P. Chuck

Monday 11 July 2011 - 22:31:04
I love Carcass and Death, but I don't like Cannibal Corpse and haven't heard the other two bands you mentioned. Oh, AnaGuard, have you heard Autopsy?
Go listen to Charred Remains, Ridden With Disease, Severed Survival, Twisted Mass of Burnt Decay and Torn from the Womb. Awesome, awesome songs.

Monday 11 July 2011 - 23:43:04

citation :
ryan5 says : @ Enig: Wait, you listen to Portal? What albums do you suggest? They've got a pretty cool theme, like watch the video on their SoM page. (What's that box thing the vocalist wears?)

Anyways back to the topic, I'd go with OSDM. Gotta love the OSDM riffs, such as Bolt Thrower's "What Dwells Within". I also like how the tempo (from the OSDM ive heard) is slow, like in Obituary's "Infected" yet its also fast and technical. Nowadays it seems its just about how fast you can play. But, having said that, there are some really good modern Death Metal bands such as Bloodbath, Kataklysm, Demonical ( I think they've got a OSDM type of sound.)etc etc.
Also some modern Death Metal bands are keeping the Old school sound alive. These bands include; Krypts, Stench of Decay, Demonical, Entrails, Graveyard

I've only digested Outre in full so that's the rec'd album. They're quite the oddity, what with the costumes and strange sound and whatnot. If you like that, you can't go wrong with Impetuous Ritual either, they share members with Portal and have a very similar, chasm-like sound.

and... Bloodbath's original goal when forming was to "bring back what Swedish DM should be" which Means they pretty much have an old-school mindset, Kataklysm ARE OSDM (listen to Sorcery and The Mystical Gate of Reincarnation, that's what they started as) and Demonical sound like a Dismember clone. All three bands attempt to make music in the vein of the early 90's stuff- why are they modern death metal? Modern Death Metal is Hour Of Penance, Cesspool Of Vermin, Defeated Sanity, Decrepit Birth, Spawn Of Possession, and whatnot. Essentially anything that is brutal/slam Death Metal or technical death metal.

Tuesday 12 July 2011 - 00:54:22
I know alot of Old School Death Metal bands. I find most of it is more heavier than modern death metal.

Lately I've been getting into a bit of Old School DM, bands like Krabathor, V.O.I.D (Victims Of Internal Decay) and Viogression, since I know a bit too many modern DM bands.
Not to mention Resurrection, who did a exceptionally good Kiss cover.