Black Metal >> What got you into black metal?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Thursday 11 April 2013 - 15:59:28
Well, here is come blues music which show some of the stylistic origins of Black Metal and other metals.

Jutta Weinhold's music can sound pretty black metalish at times. If you hear some of her heavier stuff, it's pretty awesome.

Friday 12 April 2013 - 11:28:21
Mini, i don't know what you have been smoking but Jutta Weinhold is hardrock/heavy metal. There are some bluesy hints but... Black Metal, not at all! Why would you think that?

Friday 12 April 2013 - 11:57:55
Blues rock/metal is the derivative of Heavy Metal and hard rock. Of course it will sound like there are some hints of blues.

So really, we can pretty much trace 90% of metal back to blues using some path. To be perfectly honest, I think it's more than enough to trace Black Metal to it's Thrash Metal origins and leave it at that

(unless you're doing a PhD in Black Metal history that is... )

Friday 12 April 2013 - 16:44:45

citation :
miniradman says : Blues rock/metal is the derivative of Heavy Metal and hard rock. Of course it will sound like there are some hints of blues. 

Um, you got that backwards--metal is derived from blues.
Anyway I was only saying that the solo in Freezing Moon was bluesy to me--doesn't mean Black Metal has many hints of blues in it other than from a historical standpoint. And like I said the only rea`l other genre that you can detect in Black Metal is a touch of flamenco but even then it's a bit of a stretch. Mostly it's Thrash Metal, like you said.

Saturday 13 April 2013 - 00:59:54

citation :
InfinityZero says :

citation :
miniradman says : Blues rock/metal is the derivative of Heavy Metal and hard rock. Of course it will sound like there are some hints of blues. 

Um, you got that backwards--metal is derived from blues.

uhh... yeah, that's it

citation :
doesn't mean Black Metal has many hints of blues in it other than from a historical standpoint.

How much blues do you listen to Infinity? It might just be the case of being unfamiliar with the different styles of blues and not being able to pick out it's different permutations. Just like how many people think all metal, is Nu Metal...

Saturday 13 April 2013 - 05:32:26
To be fair most of the blues I have listened to are from the 20s and 30s, and I've only listened to a bit of modern blues (and not regularly). What connections between blues and Black Metal are you referring to?

Saturday 13 April 2013 - 10:58:51
Ok, maybe not that Far back. I'd say 50's or 60's blues has the most influence on heavy metal. I can see a strong connection between 40's - 60's blues to a lot of doom metal. And... hmhmmmmm... I find that I seems to make a lot of connections from doom to early and some styles of black metal.