European Mythologies >> Transylvania
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Sunday 17 July 2011 - 20:56:02
Yeah, the thing about muslim emissaries getting turbans Nailed to their Head is right. He also had a thing to pick with emissaries that were badly dressed or behaved stupidly sent by the sultan or by the King of Hungary

Also, whenever ottoman armies invaded Wallachia, fields were set on fire and everything was burnt in their way, all wells poisoned so armies starved to death or were killed by Poison on the way. Then they were sometimes greeted by a wood of stakes with muslims Impaled on it (like 20.000), which had the effect to impress the adversary - so he was pretty terrifying for the ottomans at his time.

As for something that inspired vampirism, it was an old battle practice to drink some of the defeated enemy's Blood (but only if he was someone of military importance), not sure around what time it was practiced, though.

Another Fact, Dracula is derived from his grandfather's name Vlad Dracul (which doesn't come from devil - romanian 'drac', but from the Draconian Order/ the Order of the Dragon)

@ mini - I'll post something about Old Pagan religion/beliefs next.

Saturday 10 September 2011 - 15:34:08
That's The One in California. 

Saturday 10 September 2011 - 15:39:02

citation :
hack says : That's The One in California.

its the track transilvanian hunger was named after that place

Saturday 10 September 2011 - 19:14:42
Disneyland!

Actually that castle is after Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, Germany.

My friend went for a trip around the Fagaras mountains(the Carpathians in the south of Transilvania) near Sibiu a few weeks ago, so here are some of her pics. If you have good shoes and a few bear wrestling skills/luck there are plenty of trails with nice views, ranging from medium-easy to difficult:

Negoiu Mountain peak

Lake Avrig

Crazy woman committing Suicide by pneumonia.

And some places around there with cool names...

Fereastra Zmeilor (Troll's window)

Strunga Dracului (Devil's Pass)

La 3 pasi de moarte (3 steps away from death)

Saturday 10 September 2011 - 19:32:37
That's really rugged and I don't see any trees in there. I've always wondered why the BM band Carpathian Forest chose to name their band that. Does the region have a Brutal history?

Saturday 10 September 2011 - 20:17:54
There are plenty of forests, those photos are only from the Fagaras mountain peaks from 2000 m above. The landscape changes on different levels.

Here is a photo I've taken when I went in Fagaras, it's below 2000 m:

Also, region has plenty of Brutal history, and most places in the mountains have legends.

Although, I think norwegian bands were focusing more on vampirism and spooky legends. Maybe the 'they have Bleak mountain views, that is totally KVLT'.

Saturday 10 September 2011 - 20:36:25
Magnificent photos you got there. I might take some and rework them to a wallpaper. Can you send me a PM or something with links/ formats of these photos?

You make me Sad that I don't live in such a beautiful country and happy that there are still such places, not so Far from where I live

Wednesday 12 October 2011 - 15:55:57

citation :
Raina says : There are plenty of forests, those photos are only from the Fagaras mountain peaks from 2000 m above. The landscape changes on different levels.

Here is a photo I've taken when I went in Fagaras, it's below 2000 m:

Also, region has plenty of Brutal history, and most places in the mountains have legends.

Although, I think norwegian bands were focusing more on vampirism and spooky legends. Maybe the 'they have Bleak mountain views, that is totally KVLT'.

Thats my next destination. Propably the upcoming summer . I hope you can find some wooden hut for me

Wednesday 12 October 2011 - 22:05:55
You can find wooden huts as well as villas in that area. Or if you'd like to go extra low budget, you can camp outside, if you have a good Tent and a thick sleeping bag.

Sunday 24 June 2012 - 05:44:42
Wow... Very cool... Other myths in Europe is Dracula m/