Black Metal >> Which is the first BM band you listened to?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Monday 02 September 2013 - 02:17:20
Mine was Burzum

Wednesday 04 September 2013 - 01:50:52
I listened to Dimmu Borgir first when I Saw the online animated series 'Castle' that uses songs like Hybrid Stigmata and Puritania. I really liked the album they're from (Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia) and eventually Wanted to hear their early stuff. I didn't like it first, but eventually I made an impulse buy for Stormblast and suddenly I started getting into music of that sort. I went on to Emperor, Darkthrone, Mayhem, and Burzum (current favourite) and recently I've listened to Urfaust, Black Cilice, Murmuure, Leviathan, and other epic obscure stuff like that.

Wednesday 04 September 2013 - 12:21:36
Mine was the first Black Metal band I listened to was Burzum, but I did listen to symphonic black before that if that counts, the band was Atritas.

Wednesday 04 September 2013 - 23:10:02
A lot of people started out with Burzum, I guess. I don't think I would've liked Varg's music at all had I not listened to a lot of other black Metal first.

I've never actually heard of Atritas, I don't think.

Thursday 05 September 2013 - 15:15:20
Unfortunately, I LOST my black Metal virginity to this song...

Xasthur - Prison Of Mirrors

needless to say... I almost never went back to black Metal again

Thursday 05 September 2013 - 16:25:28
Ick, I can understand. I really dislike Xasthur and a lot of those reasons why can be found in Prison of Mirrors. Plus, I remember you only wanting to listen to 'really heavy' music at the time anyway, so you probably couldn't handle a slow song!

Friday 06 September 2013 - 10:43:58

citation :
InfinityZero says : Ick, I can understand. I really dislike Xasthur and a lot of those reasons why can be found in Prison of Mirrors. Plus, I remember you only wanting to listen to 'really heavy' music at the time anyway, so you probably couldn't handle a slow song!

Exactly!

I remember reading articles about how "uber xtreme" black Metal was, and I think how r-tarded black Metal fans were for thinking that this was Extreme metal. Even after listening to Burzum I thought it was Nothing special. Then I ran into some Mayhem stuff (which wasn't really my cup of Tea back in the day, but it's slightly grown on me since then), but it was Taake which solidified myself as a black Metal fan

Friday 06 September 2013 - 16:43:38
I think the only black Metal that doesn't qualify as Extreme is the shoegaze/post rock black metal. It's Extreme in a different sort of sense than death Metal and doom metal. That's what I like about the three main Extreme Metal genres.

I heard a song by Taake. Kinda generic. I guess I'll have to listen to the album with the blurry selfie as the cover art to totally 'get' their sound, though.

Monday 09 September 2013 - 16:15:10
Taake is one of those musicians who needs to be appreciated before immersing into the music. Going into something new convincing that it's going to be plain and Nothing new, saying to yourself "oh boy, I already know this is going to be generic" mindset will obviously make it sound generic.

I know you've probably already had another crack at Taake, but pretend that you've never heard any other black Metal before. Burzum, Ulver, Alcest... gone.

Or in otherwords, yes there are similarities between elements across all four bands, but that shouldn't reduce the level of enjoyment you get from them.

Tuesday 10 September 2013 - 01:59:02
People form standards based on stuff around them. If I'd gone my whole life without knowing of video games and then suddenly played any one, I'd probably be fascinated with the interactivity of it and the Fact that I can control the onscreen character and try to Survive and meet goals within the game. I'd probably like it regardless of how it matched up with other games.

If I've heard everything a particular band does done better and with more creativity decades before they started music, I won't like them as much. I'm not saying something needs to be %100 original for me to like it. I like bands like Kvist and Agrypnie and they are very by-the-books too, but they have a Ton of great melodies and musical sense that keeps me coming back. I'm listening to Doedskvad right now, though. It's pretty decent, actually.