European Mythologies >> Transylvania
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Saturday 16 July 2011 - 05:23:15
I don't really know why, but Ever Since I've been into Black Metal I've always wanted to know more about the Transylvanian region and the historical links to this place. Such as the Celtic and Pagan history.

The history of this place is quite facinating, and it is a place I'd like to visit one day... 0

Saturday 16 July 2011 - 11:57:32
Eh, Transylvania? Really cool place. I can tell you all about it, and post some pics from my trips if you want, since I go to the mountains over there at least 3 times a year. Transylvania is all about mountains, forests, old medieval cities and castles... with a lot of interesting history and legends.

Also, speaking of vampires and Dracula, I should tell you that Vlad Tepes never ruled Transylvania, but Wallachia (which is the south part of Romania). However he was imprisoned in a castle in Transylvania (called the Corwin or the Hunnyad castle).

However, even without fictional characters, the idea of 'immortality' has always been the center of our beliefs.
The Ancient Romanian people were the Dacians (Ancient Indo -European people, have common ancestry with the Greek), which believed in various gods; their most important being Zamolxes, which was an underworld god. He was associated with the Wolf, as a totemic Animal, also Ancient dacian flags, called Draco (meaning Dragon) had the shape of a Dragon and a wolf's head. They were made of bronze and made a howling noise .

Anyway, if you want I can tell you more, just tell me what you are more interested in finding out.

Saturday 16 July 2011 - 14:07:57
Don't forget that Vlad Tepes had actual historical worth since he was actually a Slavic prince that defended Europe against the attacking Turks.

@ raina: That castle, damn! It's preserved as a Jewel, it does't look very tainted or ruined like many castles in Western Europe. I got to pay Romania a visit, i'm interested in medieval things, especially castles. I love te atmosphere in it. in Belgium we have one famous castle in Ghent, named the Graves Stone

Saturday 16 July 2011 - 18:41:17
That Ghent castle looks great! Does it have a medieval festival there too?

Vlad Tepes has a lot more legends about him. Of course, The One about not being very tolerant about muslims and liars is the most known one.
It was even said that in the middle of the town capital there was a fountain and it had a gold cup from which anybody could drink from. All during his Reign that cup remained there, nobody stole it.

By the way, we are not Slavs, but Latins ! (since Dacians were conquered by romans and Romanian language derives from Latin). So Tepes was not a Slavic voivod.

Although Slavic tribes did pass like in the rest of the Balkanic Peninsula, but we also have a lot of Macedonian Greek in the south east, Hungarians that want autonomy and Germans in Transylvania (mainly Saxon and Schwabs - you can see their influence in the architecture there), a few Polish, Austrians and Jews here and there, as well as Roma people/gypsies from Pakistan/@ India that still haven't adapted much to social norms.

As for castles preserved like jewels, we say that about Greeks and Western Europe! Of course, the big important ones are decently preserved, but there are many centuries' old Ruins and old palaces left without any care.

Speaking of castles, here are my favorite ones:

Bran Castle - which is promoted as the 'dracula castle', although I'm not too sure if it has much to do with Vlad the Impaler. But it is on top of a cliff, has secret  passages and a hidden corridor, as well as a cave and a metal festival

Poenari fortress - one long climb in the mountains to get to this one, but the view once you get on top is amazing.

Fagaras castle - it's cool because it has a Moat

Banffy castle - which is a ruin now, having been destroyed in WW2. Also is a Tad bit haunted, not recommended going at night, people have a bit of trouble restoring it because of that

Peles Castle - it is the newest one, built by Carol I of Romania - that's why it's more fairy tale like. Was considered one of the most modern buildings at the time. Photos are from my trip this year.

Pelisor is near Peles, a smaller version of it that belonged to the queen.

Ok, done promoting Romania tourism for now. I'll post some metal festivals in citadels sometime.

Saturday 16 July 2011 - 18:45:38
Cool that romanians give metal festivals In and At castles. Soomething they should try in Belgium. Nice pics and castles... damn, I want to go to your country so bad now, it rains here like Hell and I feel somewhat moody.
the last castle is a bit kitsch, isn't it?

Saturday 16 July 2011 - 18:53:22
Not really, built in a more german style... The intention was to look fairy tale like. Carol I wanted to give crazy Bavarians a run for their money...

Saturday 16 July 2011 - 19:06:43
Pshhh, you guys with your great countries and your amazing castles.
You think you're the only ones who live around fantastic castles?

CHECK THIS SHIT.

HELL YEAH, THAT'S HOW WE DO IT IN CANADA.
I bet you guys feel jealous now 0

Saturday 16 July 2011 - 19:15:33
lol fake HP castle

Saturday 16 July 2011 - 19:18:30
Isn't that in England (Harry Potter?)

Saturday 16 July 2011 - 19:20:41

citation :
Raina says : Isn't that in England (Harry Potter?)

yup, I always heard the castle was 'reconstructed' somewhere in England, seems I'm wrong