Discussions about Music >> Suggestions much appreciated....
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Monday 31 March 2014 - 08:41:37

Hello, all

Gunnolf here, I'm from Nowheresville, Arkansas, U.S.,  surrounded by churches and country music.  0   I've always loved harder and heavier music, and some old school metal. A lot of the things I've listened to for a while would probably fall under a subgenre similar to metalcore or alt metal. The myriad genres can be intimidating, and I listen to many other styles of music as well, so there are large gaps in my Metal knowledge, and I've been trying to expand my tastes and find new stuff. I seem to like a lot of bands I don't see much talk about. I've checked out a couple I've seen mentioned here and elsewhere on the interwebs, and I've liked what I've heard as Far as preferences and styles from some of you guys, so suggestions would be very welcome. I'll list a few albums I'm diggin so Far, and what I don't like as Far as styles, and bring on the well-informed input!
Thanks in advance! (and sorry so long)  

For those who don't like reading:

I need suggestions!
So Far I'm diggin my recent purchases:  eyehategod - take as needed for Pain, Carcass - descanting the Insalubrious, and  jungle Rot - terror regime.

I've liked most of the the little bit I've seen from Integrity, Six Feet Under, Howl, Testament, A Pale Horse Named Death, Mayhem, Havok, Rwake, Throwdown, Cannibal Corpse, and on the softer side of Metal, Red fang.

I've listened to a lot of metalcore/alt Metal (i think, lol) for several years: Killswitch Engage, Hatebreed, Corrosion Of Conformity, Mudvayne, Nonpoint, Trivium, etc, although i lean away from the modern Return to cleaner vocals most bands seem to be following. Something about Five Finger Death Punch that i don't like, can't quite put my finger on it. And i have several local favorites.

Lamb of GOD is one of my favorite bands by far. I don't see much talk about em, and I'm most familiar with one album in particular (Ashes of The Wake), but to me they have a great Balance of riffs/thrash style playing, groove moments, and nice, rough vocals.

I love a lot of the old school thrash stuff, but I can only handle so much high pitched guitar and/or vocals in one sitting.

If anyone actually reads this novel, suggest away, ya fucks!!  0

Monday 31 March 2014 - 15:51:25

Well, welcome to the forums, first of all.

I tend to listen to black Metal, death Metal and doom Metal above other genres. I like some of the bands you mentioned but strongly dislike others, so that's good, maybe we'll have some interesting talks about them. Anyway, if you like black Metal, I think I'm your guy to talk to. I've been trying to listen to underground/obscure black Metal lately (away from bands like Mayhem and my own favourite, Burzum). I write reviews, so if you want to check those out, you might come across something that strikes you.

Also, I notice you didn't mention a single doom Metal band! Shame.

Monday 31 March 2014 - 21:51:43

Thanks for the welcome. I've browsed your reviews a little, and I'll definitely be spending more time on them, I have better computer access at work. Are they all under the name InfinityZero?

Doom seems like a genre I'd be into, just haven't heard much. Throw some albums/band names at me if ya get a chance and I'll put em on my list to explore.

Also, tell me what you like and Hate from what I've mentioned. Opinions rarely offend me, and as I said, I'm here to learn. I don't have musical talent or enough time spent with particular styles to have an ear for technicality, so my tastes are sporadic and underdeveloped at best, I'm sure. Lol
As with good beer and lots of other things in life, my palate will take some time to Taste the finer flavors.

Thanks again

Monday 31 March 2014 - 22:22:35

Yes, all of my reviews are under the name InfinityZero (go to my page and click 'articles' to see the list) but of course I'm not the only person who writes reviews here!

Okay, well, if you want to get in on doom Metal from the ground Floor, Candlemass is your best bet as a band. Epicus Doomicus Metallicus and Nightfall are Two amazing albums by them. Listen to the song Gallows End or Under the Oak and you'll be in love. Type O Negative is also great, listen to the album World Coming Down and the songs Everyone I Love is Dead or White Slavery. And of course with any other genre, doom HAS much heavier bands, like Esoteric, Cough or Ahab (those bands would fall under Funeral doom Metal, which tends to be much slower, longer and darker, almost like modern Drone). If you want Funeral doom, listen to Thergothon's album Stream from the Heavens or Mournful Congregation's Monad of Creation. Then there's the doom/stoner stuff like Cathedral or Electric Wizard. Come My Fanatics is a great album. I know a lot more but I think that's enough for now ;) I hope you like slow music! Because that's what doom is.

Also, hey, don't totally knock country/folk stuff, as I've just come across a black Metal band recently that makes use of country style in some of their songs and play banjo/fiddle etc. They're called Panopticon. Their album Kentucky is really good.

Well, I tend to really dislike deathcore/metalcore and most grindcore/goregrind, so all of those bands you mentioned I don't like, including Lamb of God. I also Hate Cannibal Corpse--they must be one of the most generic death Metal bands ever. A band like Carcass or Autopsy or Dismember is miles better than them (and not all of their albums sound the same :D) I like early Mayhem as well as their 2008 album, but their middle stuff with Maniac isn't up my alley. I love three of Carcass' Six albums (Symphony of Sickness, Necroticism and Heartwork) but I'm not in love with their other stuff. Not really into Testament, but I Saw them live and they were pretty good.

If you want some good old school thrash that you've never heard of before, try Holy Terror and Coroner (ESPECIALLY Coroner). Listen to the song Read My Scars and you'll know you're hearing one of the best thrash bands Ever Hope that helps!

Let me know what you think of this stuff, even if you only get around to listening to one thing.

Tuesday 01 April 2014 - 01:08:17

Thank you, thank you. I can definitely understand your view on some of the Core stuff, especially cannibal corpse. My earholes have been gravitating towards some of the others lately though.
This gives some good paths to start exploring. I have kids and work nights, so my listening time comes in unforeseen waves, but I'll get at least some of this explored soon.

I didn't intend to come across as dissing country music as a whole, I suppose more the Culture of my immediate area. (Most modern country chart stuff included)

I listen to a wide range of music, and some of my regular listens are folk/Americana or gutterbilly/country-punk type shit. I'm a sucker for a banjo or good fiddle. Can't Fight my southern roots. Lol

One of my favorite bands is a few gentlemen from the Midwest known as Split Lip Rayfield. I've referred to them as Metal bluegrass before. They're very talented, with a lot of early Metal influences. Mandolin, banjo/guitar, and a bass player who rocks an old gas Tank with a neck and strings attached. I highly recommend a listen if you're interested in anything like that.

Thanks again!

Tuesday 01 April 2014 - 01:22:46

That's funny, I've heard people refer to Panopticon as black-grass. I'm not typically too big on country either, especially popular country. I tend to prefer it with an Element of folk, since folk is what I like. I also listen to orchestral stuff (classic and contemporary) and a lot of ambient and noise artists.

Wait, did you say Cannibal Corpse is core? Well, I suppose you could call them Deathcore if you Wanted to Insult them

Tuesday 01 April 2014 - 02:08:37

I don't know what Cannibal Corpse is classified as, what I meant was that I understand the view on most Core music as a whole (which I believe most the other bands I listed would fall under one way or another) Especially the band Cannibal Corpse, regardless of what their sub genre is. Their sound was probably my least favorite of what I listed. But their sound in general is different than what I usually listen to.

The second set of lists in my op are all bands I've only heard a couple songs from. Still too early for me to form an opinion on.

I'll be checking out Panopticon, as I said, I love folk instruments, and when they're mixed with Metal it can be a beautiful thing in my opinion. I plan on exploring folk Metal later, the very little bit I've heard had vocals or lyrics that were a little much for me yet.

Tuesday 01 April 2014 - 02:53:50

Cannibal Corpse is death Metal, plain and simple

So, you haven't heard much Mayhem? All their best stuff is on De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. Maybe a few good tracks on Wolf's Lair Abyss, Deathcrush and Ordo ad Chao, but DMDS is absolutely necessary black metal.

Yeah, listen to Panopticon's songs Black Soot and Red Blood and Bodies Under the Falls. Come All Ye Coal Miners is a good all-country song of theirs. And if you want folk Metal, Primordial is above and Beyond the best band I've found under that category. Listen to Heathen Tribes or No Grave Deep Enough.

Sorry, am I recommending too much here? I feel like I'm burying you with suggestions.

Tuesday 01 April 2014 - 09:39:51

Definitely not, sir. This is exactly what i was looking for, a few signs to help along my path. It'll take a while to get to listen to it all, but i accept the task readily. lol

Tuesday 01 April 2014 - 20:44:19

Good to hear! I hope you're able to really define your tastes! Looking up the bands I've mentioned should lead you towards even more unique bands as time goes on.