Death Metal >> Old School?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Monday 02 May 2011 - 16:58:43
Ive have always been confused with this genre. Is it something you refer to as the early settlers of Death Metal like how people like to say First Wave Black Metal, where the whole genre is dead?

or

Is it just a term describing the style.

To be honest I haven't heard ANY good OSDM bands other than Canibal Corpse (just sayin) 0

Monday 02 May 2011 - 17:17:22
Old school refers to the early settlers of a genre and the style they brought.

For example

Old school Thrash: Exodus, Death Angel, early Metallica, old Slayer, old Testament,...

old School Death: CC, Morgoth, very early Darkthrone (yeah they made DM back then), Dismember, Entombed, At The Gates, Asphyx,...

old school black: Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, ealry Mayhem, Bathory,...

old school Gothic: Sisters of Mercy, Fields Of The Nephilim, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Type O Negative

old school Doom: Pentagram, Saint Vitus, Candlemass, Cathedral,...

To name a few... need more???

Monday 02 May 2011 - 17:37:34
So is it possible to have Modern Old School Death Metal?

Monday 02 May 2011 - 17:44:16
yes i think it's possible because if you consider Bands like Morbid Angel, Possessed, Death, Autopsy or Obituary as old school Death Metal, i think you could find modern bands with a sound like the early Death Metal albums of these bands

Monday 02 May 2011 - 17:46:17

citation :
pure_fucking_metal_666 says : yes i think it's possible because if you consider Bands like Morbid Angel, Possessed, Death, Autopsy or Obituary as old school Death Metal, i think you could find modern bands with a sound like the early Death Metal albums of these bands

I see.

What excatly are the characteristics of Old School Death Metal?

Monday 02 May 2011 - 17:51:20

citation :
miniradman says : So is it possible to have Modern Old School Death Metal?

Rib Spreader, Nailgun Massacre

Monday 02 May 2011 - 17:53:42

citation :
miniradman says :

citation :
pure_fucking_metal_666 says : yes i think it's possible because if you consider Bands like Morbid Angel, Possessed, Death, Autopsy or Obituary as old school Death Metal, i think you could find modern bands with a sound like the early Death Metal albums of these bands

I see.

What excatly are the characteristics of Old School Death Metal?

Deep growl that are ununderstandable or more comprehensive growls like with Unleashed. Crunchy guitars and drumming but all not that super technical, no urge for breaks or climaxes, very riff oriented, no 'foreign' influences, lo-fi production, original lyrics of Blood, Gore, social critiques

Monday 02 May 2011 - 18:00:54
i'm not able to explain exactly what are the characteristics of old school Death Metal but if you want to listen old school Death Metal listen to the first albums of Death, Possessed, Obituary or Morbid angel.
I think old school DM is not a really kind of DM but if you want exactly know what is it : it sounds like DM but sometimes with trash influences(Possessed Seven churches album), and the sound is raw and the band of old school DM keep the spirit of the 80's, they don't make Hybrid DM with progressive or BM influences

try to listen to that

or that

Monday 02 May 2011 - 18:08:39
Well, as Far as I'm concerned OSDM is more thrashier than modern Death. I'm not saying that every Death-Thrash band is OSDM, just that it had more Thrash elements, the growls aren't as deep as in todays Death Metal, and the song structure is kinda more technical. Dunno, it's hard to explain. Take for example Suffocation, Necrophagia, Autopsy, Possessed and Atheist.

Monday 02 May 2011 - 18:15:59
If you want oldschool, check out Obituary's 'Slowly we rot', Massacre's 'From beyond' , Master's debut- 'Master', Death's 'Scream bloody gore' or actually anything from Tampa, especially Morbid Angel and Deicide. Their first records are the best example of oldschool DM, I think.