Hell >> Nihilism
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Getting poll results. Please wait...
Are you a Nihilist?
Yes; State what type and why (Read Post for more info)
No; State why you do believe in something that a Nihilist doesn't

Sunday 06 March 2011 - 00:10:48
Are you a Nihilist? I'm a complete Epistemological Nihilist, how the Hell could we know anything for sure (Ex: The Matrix)? But I would also define myself as a; Moral Nihilist, Existential Nihilist, Metaphysical Nihilist, Mereological Nihilist, and a Political Nihilist (Basically an Anarchist).

If you're some form of Nihilist, post what type you are; and why you Negate the existence/solidity of whatever you deny.

Sunday 06 March 2011 - 00:27:49
Yes, I guess by definition, and placement into a subcategory, I would be a nihilist. The existential mindset of which I find absolutely no meaning or value to existing. Life is meaningless. We serve to give superficial meaning to our species, only to Die and cease to exist.

I am by no Means a epistemological nihilist (kind of derives from solipsism). By understanding and physical sense, one can observe and view everything as it is. A perfect sense of reality is not possible; we know some, but not all, but yet not nothing.

I do not serve as a political nihilist, but I do have an apathetic position towards politics. No politician will ever be sincere, so why give a shit?

Morality is subjective to beliefs, ranging from Law to religion. No truth lies in false morality, but to realize a sense of morality in your own beliefs suits purpose. Without this purpose, what would stop someone from slaughtering everyone? Basically, no dominate morality system can be derived from anything, but our own sense of Law and Justice is from our minds.

Metaphysical nihilism is quite debatable though. I do not believe in such, but I do not believe in the Descarte "Cogito Ergo Sum" ideal. For we could just be thoughts given thoughts by an unknown original thought. But that is just a philosophical scenario.

And mereological nihilism... well, I am an Adept in physics, so that contradicts the main perceptions of this. Therefore, I do not adhere to this ideal.

All in all, I would technically be considered a nihilist. Not Extreme, but my philosophy still follows some of the ideals that accompany nihilism.

Sunday 06 March 2011 - 04:41:44
good topic... i hadn't really thought much about Nihilism, but i think most everyone to some extent can call themselves Nihilistic based on all of the above guidelines. I am a strong supporter of Anarchism (my political ideology is NO government is Good Government), i dont like the idea of being controlled by a larger force

Monday 07 March 2011 - 03:30:17

citation :
Mercenarion says :Morality is subjective to beliefs, ranging from Law to religion. No truth lies in false morality, but to realize a sense of morality in your own beliefs suits purpose. Without this purpose, what would stop someone from slaughtering everyone? Basically, no dominate morality system can be derived from anything, but our own sense of Law and Justice is from our minds.

It's my opinion that Morality does not exist at all, think about it; do animals have morals? No, they will openly Kill one another; but not for no reason. Humans are the same, but we tend to let our morals get in the way; because the media and the sub-civilized world would have you think they actually exist. I could Kill someone, I have no problem doing that, but I wouldn't do it for no reason. And I wouldn't do it unless I wouldn't get punished by the majority because of their psychotic belief system.

citation :
Mercenarion says :
For we could just be thoughts given thoughts by an unknown original thought.

You have no idea how much you just tripped me out man, seriously; NO FUCKING IDEA.

Monday 07 March 2011 - 03:47:06

citation :
Fortvivlan says :

citation :
Mercenarion says :Morality is subjective to beliefs, ranging from Law to religion. No truth lies in false morality, but to realize a sense of morality in your own beliefs suits purpose. Without this purpose, what would stop someone from slaughtering everyone? Basically, no dominate morality system can be derived from anything, but our own sense of Law and Justice is from our minds.

It's my opinion that Morality does not exist at all, think about it; do animals have morals? No, they will openly Kill one another; but not for no reason. Humans are the same, but we tend to let our morals get in the way; because the media and the sub-civilized world would have you think they actually exist. I could Kill someone, I have no problem doing that, but I wouldn't do it for no reason. And I wouldn't do it unless I wouldn't get punished by the majority because of their psychotic belief system.

citation :
Mercenarion says :
For we could just be thoughts given thoughts by an unknown original thought.

You have no idea how much you just tripped me out man, seriously; NO FUCKING IDEA.

For the first point, I believe in more of a faux-morality system. It doesn't exist, but we believe it does. It doesn't exist, but we don't all want to Slaughter each other. So, it is just law.

For the second point: my job is done here

Monday 07 March 2011 - 19:13:00

citation :
Mercenarion says :And mereological nihilism... well, I am an Adept in physics, so that contradicts the main perceptions of this. Therefore, I do not adhere to this ideal.

I've just realized that i am a nihilist.
i believe 100% in existential nihilism, 49% in epistemological, 42% in moral, 28% in political, 6% in metaphysical, and 2% in mereological. why? because that's how i believe i will understand myself. really.
and as for Mercenarion's remark, i'd say that this concept is pretty much blurred, no matter how Adept one is at physics. i'm assuming that you've heard about the string theory and the possibility of reality stretching ad infinitum. if you know what i mean.

Monday 07 March 2011 - 21:31:56

citation :
yinyang_cali says :

citation :
Mercenarion says :And mereological nihilism... well, I am an Adept in physics, so that contradicts the main perceptions of this. Therefore, I do not adhere to this ideal.

I've just realized that i am a nihilist.
i believe 100% in existential nihilism, 49% in epistemological, 42% in moral, 28% in political, 6% in metaphysical, and 2% in mereological. why? because that's how i believe i will understand myself. really.
and as for Mercenarion's remark, i'd say that this concept is pretty much blurred, no matter how Adept one is at physics. i'm assuming that you've heard about the string theory and the possibility of reality stretching ad infinitum. if you know what i mean.

Yeah, string theory. That does not reach to infinity. It reaches to 11 dimensions, not infinite. And superstring theory only goes to about 26 dimensions. Again, not infinite.

You cannot use string theory to prove the infinite exists. But it is only the mereological standpoint that is in opposition to my knowledge in physics; everything else can co-exist with it.

Tuesday 08 March 2011 - 00:05:17
real nihilist never know that he/she is nihilist untill (unintentionally) he rapes something that had a chance for being her/his meaning of life...   so absolutely no comment. you guys chose which side you will walk nihilism or belief and this time i'll get along with my own path,because belief-nihilism bullshit is last i care about...  

Tuesday 08 March 2011 - 01:16:13

citation :
deathey says : real nihilist never know that he/she is nihilist untill (unintentionally) he rapes something that had a chance for being her/his meaning of life...   so absolutely no comment. you guys chose which side you will walk nihilism or belief and this time i'll get along with my own path,because belief-nihilism bullshit is last i care about...  

I find it desperate that people search for meaning in life when it obviously does not exist.

Tuesday 08 March 2011 - 11:23:41

citation :
Mercenarion says : Yeah, string theory. That does not reach to infinity. It reaches to 11 dimensions, not infinite. And superstring theory only goes to about 26 dimensions. Again, not infinite.

You cannot use string theory to prove the infinite exists. But it is only the mereological standpoint that is in opposition to my knowledge in physics; everything else can co-exist with it.

my point is, physicists say that strings are the very foundation of the universe. on the other hand, they also believe that the Universe we know is a string as well, and that the big Bang is a result of its Collision with another string. which gives us the impression that the Universe is just a foundation of another Universe and that there is a whole new Universe existing in every string, and so on. ad infinitum. haven't you seen this video before? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE7xRgfPjAI