Nerds Central >> Is Biology...A REAL SCIENCE!?!?!
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Getting poll results. Please wait...
Is Biology A Real Science?
Yes... what kind of retard thinks otherwise?
Yes, I think so
Maybe, maybe not...
errr...no
Physics is the only science...everything else is stamp collecting

Monday 22 August 2011 - 09:27:20
Do you believe that biology is a real science? or do you think that biology is just an off shoot of physics and chemistry?

What do you think?

Monday 22 August 2011 - 09:32:39
Bro, Biology studies a completly different wing of nature than physics or chemistry. Biology searches an explanation for everything that lives. This ranges from the symbiose of the Earth to the origins of life: DNA. biology uses often parts of organic chemistry, especially in moleculair genetics. But the three mayor players in science: physics, chemistry and biology are constantly working together.

Monday 22 August 2011 - 09:41:06
hmmm, there is huge debate going on with the science teachers at our school. All the physics teachers say no, biology isn't a legitament science, mainly because the Root of all biology is pure chemistry...

But I think otherwise biology should be considered as a separate science mainly because it like what you said (Panzerjager). It explains the origins of life, not to mention the different braches of biology such as marine biology and micro biology...

Monday 22 August 2011 - 09:45:49
Biology started with the interest in nature by mankind several centuries or even millenia ago. There is no exact date of Origin but Greeks and Romans were interested in explaining the world around them (physics), the behaviour of several compounds( alchemy/chemistry) or the behaviour of animals and nature (biology).

The Roman poet Lucretius wrote a work De rerum Natura about nature. Archimedes was known for his inventions and invention of The Law of Archimedes.

The Origin of Biology is not chemistry. befor echemistry was involved many biologists went out on the field to study plants nd animals. Biology was only incorporated during the last century.

btw: your physics teacher is not TR00

Monday 22 August 2011 - 09:57:44

citation :
Panzerjager says :
The Origin of Biology is not chemistry.

Sorry, I was meant to say that the leading theory in biology (fuck, I Forgot what it was called) is pure chemistry.

citation :

btw: your physics teacher is not TR00

ahahaha! he is also my chemistry teacher, but he refuses to teach biology

Monday 22 August 2011 - 10:02:44
Well, if you mean the Origin of life andthe building blocks of life are DNA and the chemical processes involved >> chemistry

Evolution is much more than just chemistry though

Monday 22 August 2011 - 10:08:09
Yeah, thats what I tried explaining...

But even in Universities in Australia, biology is a neglected science.
We have these things called and OP ranking (Overall Position when 1 being the highest and 25 being the lowest). All the chemisty and physics sciences are op 12 being the lowest. But there is a branch of biology (biotechnology) that is an op 19! That faculty is probably the least funded or looked after. There isn't a huge demand for them... yet

Monday 22 August 2011 - 13:34:25
Some things I found about these discussions

Monday 22 August 2011 - 18:13:57
Of course Biology is science. it just studies living organisms and stuff like osmosis, diffusion, all that good stuff. Biology was damn easy last year. Not to mention fun (besides the time we Dissected a frog).
Besides. If anything, Biology is Earth Science and Life Science combined.