Nerds Central >> Chemistry anyone?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Monday 22 August 2011 - 09:22:01
Who likes chemisty? What do you like about it? What are you learning?

Monday 22 August 2011 - 09:35:08
Doen with Chemistry for some time. Last things I've seen, was organic chemistry. Things like rule of Markovnikov and the formation of several organic compounds.

Only thing I'll see more in Chemistry coming years, will be Natural Sciences. This is a Synthesis of Physics, Chemistry and Biology and it is a course given to pupils in High school who doesn't follow a science-oriented direction.

Monday 12 September 2011 - 21:28:09
I've just started chemistry and love it. I am learning about balancing out equations which i really like.

Tuesday 13 September 2011 - 00:16:00
I absolutely hated chemistry during my entire high school career(and it always was a Mandatory subject)... the only thing that made sense were the equations and the Fact that they have some practical use in real life, but otherwise it was just annoying gibberish I had to learn  purely for good/passing marks...
Teachers were always exigent, and I still don't understand what was so darn difficult about it, but it seemed it was the only subject I did bad on tests, thus ruining my almost-perfect scores.

Glad chemistry is over, it's been 4  years.

Tuesday 13 September 2011 - 00:53:07

citation :
Raina says :
Glad chemistry is over, it's been 4  years.

0 FUCK THAT! Chemistry would have been better for me, if i had a decent teacher. Fair enough he was a good bloke n all, but man he could NOT teach. Physics, on other Hand, was AWESOME. But having said that, we only really scratched the surface of it.

Edit: Before our holidays, we've started CARBON CHEMISTRY. . . and have forgotten some of what i learnt in the first lesson.
Thursday 15 September 2011 - 13:39:32

citation :
ryan5 says :

0 FUCK THAT! Chemistry would have been better for me, if i had a decent teacher. Fair enough he was a good bloke n all, but man he could NOT teach. Physics, on other Hand, was AWESOME. But having said that, we only really scratched the surface of it.

Edit: Before our holidays, we've started CARBON CHEMISTRY. . . and have forgotten some of what i learnt in the first lesson.

hahaha

I've been doing chemistry for about 9 months now. And it was only 2 days go that I was faced with the most difficult mathetical question of my entire life (even harder than maths B and anything I've come across in physics). I have to work out how much ethanol and water would go in to a 100ml solution with a 40mol ethanol :60mol water ratio... this might sound silly, but... does anyone know how to do this?

Thursday 15 September 2011 - 14:29:10

citation :
miniradman says :

citation :
ryan5 says :

hahaha

I've been doing chemistry for about 9 months now. And it was only 2 days go that I was faced with the most difficult mathetical question of my entire life (even harder than maths B and anything I've come across in physics). I have to work out how much ethanol and water would go in to a 100ml solution with a 40mol ethanol :60mol water ratio... this might sound silly, but... does anyone know how to do this?

Oh damn, that are really irritating ones. I had something similar like that last year. If I managed to track the test of i, I can give you some hints but don't have much confidece since my notes are prob lost in my Dungeon

Thursday 15 September 2011 - 14:30:57
Any notes/hints will help because at the moment i'm facing Two questions where everyone I go to is as lost as me

Thursday 15 September 2011 - 14:39:00

citation :
miniradman says :

hahaha

GOD, I hated those problems!

Well, if I remember from college, water(H2O - 2 x H=1 and 1x O=16 is 18) weighs 18 g = 1 mol, density is 1 g = 1 ml. So for water 18 ml equals 1 mol.

As for ethanol, I don't know the density and molecular Mass, so you should find out for yourself how much 1 mol ethanol = in ml...

Now comes the part where I give bad advice , (since I'm positively convinced that chemistry is more cunning than to give 40% ethanol and 60% water)

you then have 100 ml of solution, I'm absolutely sure there is another way, but i'd turn the 60 mol water into ml => 60 x 18 = 1080 ml

then the the 40 mol ethanolin = x ml

Then I'd use the x ml : 1080 ml ratio, you do the maths.

Keep in mind that I almost failed this part (particularly the molarity, concentration solubility problems), and I might have said something stupid.

Thursday 15 September 2011 - 14:48:06

citation :
Raina says :

GOD, I hated those problems!

Well, if I remember from college, water(H2O - 2 x H=1 and 1x O=16 is 18) weighs 18 g = 1 mol, density is 1 g = 1 ml. So for water 18 ml equals 1 mol.

As for ethanol, I don't know the density and molecular Mass, so you should find out for yourself how much 1 mol ethanol = in ml...

Now comes the part where I give bad advice , (since I'm positively convinced that chemistry is more cunning than to give 40% ethanol and 60% water)

you then have 100 ml of solution, I'm absolutely sure there is another way, but i'd turn the 60 mol water into ml => 60 x 18 = 1080 ml

then the the 40 mol ethanolin = x ml

Then I'd use the x ml : 1080 ml ratio, you do the maths.

Keep in mind that I almost failed this part (particularly the molarity, concentration solubility problems), and I might have said something stupid.

I think that density fo ethanol is 0.789g/cm^3

I don't really understand why they must be multiplied by the 60 and 40 mole quantites.

Spirit of Metal Webzine 2003-2024
site developed and maintained by Spirit of Metal Team