Nerds Central >> A Stick and The Moon
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Thursday 18 August 2011 - 14:42:15
I have a question.

Hypothetically, I have a stick that is capable of reaching the moon. Accoriding to the laws of physics Nothing can move faster than the speed of light. Light takes around 1.3 seconds (I think) to reach the moon. Say If the stick was 1cm away from the surface of the Moon, and I moved it 1cm in 0.5 seconds, will the stick hit the Moon faster than the speed of light?

Thursday 18 August 2011 - 15:15:08
yes, the stick will reach the Moon first but that doesn't mean that it's faster than the speed of light. The light has to travel a longer distance in order to get to the Moon if it starts from the surface of the Earth because I guess that's what you meant, right?

Thursday 18 August 2011 - 18:32:45
If a stick was that big, do you know how much it would weigh? The weight of it would forcefully make it harder for you to Push it. Also, when an object goes Closer and Closer to the speed of light, space around them will actually slow down. Ergo, doing that will not let you break the light barrier... please tell me you didn't get this from troll science

It's impossible to break the light barrier with less than infinite energy or in this universe.

Thursday 18 August 2011 - 19:50:05

citation :
Mercenarion says : If a stick was that big, do you know how much it would weigh? The weight of it would forcefully make it harder for you to Push it. Also, when an object goes Closer and Closer to the speed of light, space around them will actually slow down. Ergo, doing that will not let you break the light barrier... please tell me you didn't get this from troll science

It's impossible to break the light barrier with less than infinite energy or in this universe.
I think you misunderstood the question. He said hypothetically. There's no point to think logically like that then.

Thursday 18 August 2011 - 20:01:03

citation :
dawn_of_metal says :

citation :
Mercenarion says : If a stick was that big, do you know how much it would weigh? The weight of it would forcefully make it harder for you to Push it. Also, when an object goes Closer and Closer to the speed of light, space around them will actually slow down. Ergo, doing that will not let you break the light barrier... please tell me you didn't get this from troll science

I think you misunderstood the question. He said hypothetically. There's no point to think logically like that then.

Goddamn hypotheticals.

Thursday 18 August 2011 - 20:09:18

citation :
Mercenarion says : If a stick was that big, do you know how much it would weigh?

I just thought of something. If a stick was that long then that Means that most of it will be out in space where it won't have any weight. And since it's only 1 cm from the moons surface then that Means that the moons Gravity will affect it a lot. Does that mean that it would still weigh very much?

Thursday 18 August 2011 - 22:16:16
ahaha...nope this is a legitament question.

Because I was talking about this in class, and apparently if I have a stick that touches the Moon and Push on it. The force I apply on my end of the Sick won't be felt on the other side (the Moon) after 1.3 seconds on the way up... BUT the Resistance won't be felt on my end until 2.6 seconds because it travels on the way don't (equal and opposite). So if I don't feel any Resistance for 2.6 seconds, theoratically, I could keep pushing the Sick further than 1 cm before I feel any resistance.

Unless there is something I'm forgetting here...which I don't know

Friday 19 August 2011 - 19:33:38
Let me put it simple: Light takes the given time (1,3 secs) to travel between Earth and Moon. You say you move the stick 1 cm in 0,5 secs but this is impossible because you can't move such a huge object in 0,5 secs.

Friday 19 August 2011 - 19:44:59

citation :
Panzerjager says : Let me put it simple: Light takes the given time (1,3 secs) to travel between Earth and Moon. You say you move the stick 1 cm in 0,5 secs but this is impossible because you can't move such a huge object in 0,5 secs.

That's what I said, but apparently this is a hypothetical

Friday 19 August 2011 - 20:07:31

citation :
Mercenarion says :

citation :
Panzerjager says : Let me put it simple: Light takes the given time (1,3 secs) to travel between Earth and Moon. You say you move the stick 1 cm in 0,5 secs but this is impossible because you can't move such a huge object in 0,5 secs.

That's what I said, but apparently this is a hypothetical

oh okay then