Discussions about Music >> Vocals and where they are today.
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Thursday 19 June 2014 - 17:50:29

Look I am may be a bit old school metal. I would like to think that since I have been around long enough, I can say I helped all of us True Metal heads in forging our lifestyle. Lets face it, Metal IS a lifestyle. Back when it Truly started,  like in say 1980 not many of us were really turned on to it.Many of the radio stations did not play any bands associated with this new form of music soon to be known as Heavy Metal. But it was still big enough to make bands like IRON MAIDEN bigger than the world in a short period of time without any radio airplay.
       yeah the music was a bit different then as it is today. And a key part of the difference is the vocals. I do have my fav's of today, Lamb Of God being one of them.. but honestly, I am about tired of the dulling low dronal effect of this harsh growl. I would like to hear more bands show off vocal talent, and bring back the super sonic screams, the awesome sounding vocalization us old farts grew up with from bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Dio, etc. I remember there was a time when it seemed every singer Wanted to sound just like Halford, he was the Metal GOD( still is). Or even compete on a level with Dio for greatest Metal Vocalist ever.
     But over the last almost 30 years it HAS changed so much that the normalcy of singers thinking is that they need to sound like a buzzsaw, and to me..they suck.  The musicianship of the band playing behind most of these singers HAS been pushed backwards in any form of talent. They play according to how the singer sounds, rather than produce memorable time lasting songs.
        I am not saying these bands do not have talent, I am saying that they seem to be holding back musically just to make sure that the vocals come across. I say, bring back the guitar solos, the talented singers step up and show us your vocal ranges, it is time for a change in how Heavy Metal sounds, and we need to bring back the Power of what a vocalist HAS to say, instead of downing in a growl of obscure sounds.

Thursday 19 June 2014 - 18:05:06

The only thing that's changed is that new genres have formed and popularities have changed. That certainly doesn't mean you can't find clean vocalists in Metal, especially if you know anything about the different sub-genres. Elder, Spiritual Beggars, Exlibris are bands I can think of off the top of my Head that are able to sustain that 'classic' sound while still sounding new and unique. Look up Stoner metal/rock, Power Metal, and to a lesser extent, speed Metal, as they are the genres directly spawned by Maiden, Priest and Sabbath.