Death Metal >> Next Level In Technical Death Metal
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Tuesday 12 April 2011 - 21:56:45
Regardless of what Enig says about these guys, this album is a almost (possibly) perfect technical Death Metal album.

Tuesday 12 April 2011 - 22:41:18
Now that was AWESOME! 0

I've never heard anything like it, keep it comming bro 0

Tuesday 12 April 2011 - 22:43:04
Lykathea Aflame is pretty cool but I get tired of this CD in the long run.

I received a CD to review from Australia.

You guys should check this band:
http://www.myspace.com/khariot

Also for pure technical DM with emotion, Gorguts' Obscura is the shit.

Tuesday 12 April 2011 - 23:02:22

citation :
GandhiEgo says : Lykathea Aflame is pretty cool but I get tired of this CD in the long run.

Yeah, it is perfect instrumentally, but there is something about it that makes the replay value bad. Listening to the album every once in a while isn't too bad though.

And Gorgut's Obscura is amazing (as Gandhi said), the bass is insane.

Let's try a few more bands.

!T.O.O.H.! - These guys are fellow countrymen of Lykathea Aflame (damn the Czechs have good tech death), but instead of taking on a Majestic epic feel, they take on a Demented morphed sound, but still stay great.
*Warning: the vocals are fucking weird*

Mithras - Brutal and experimental, not as strange as TOOH, but very close.

Pavor - I found these guys a few weeks ago. They have every Element intact; they are melodic, technical, Brutal and atmospheric. And their bassist is incredible.

Hieronymus Bosch - Technical but melodic. Very good band.

Sunday 22 May 2011 - 17:19:01
0 Out of all those, I think that Hieronymus Bosch is the best

These guys have technical drumming, but don't listen to it if you don't like br00tal slamming death 0

Monday 23 May 2011 - 00:12:04
I think there's a lot of life in technical Death Metal still, but I really Wish it went away from the bullshit Necrophagist/Spawn of Possession/Obscura style that's currently all the rave.

The weirdest thing about those bands for me is that despite how technical and fast and unconventional, they come off as really unadventurous to me. Obviously, that style of music takes a LOT of skill to write and play, but a lot of it to me just doesn't do anything remotely special other than just existing. It doesn't Evoke anything other than 'okay you're skilled'; it's not that atmospheric, a lot of those bands indulge in amazingly saccharine melodies (not to mention Obscura the band pretty much rips off later Death and Fates Warning. As in, the intro to the new album is just about the same as the intro to Fates Warning's "In A Word").

Personally, i'm really liking what groups like Ulcerate are bringing to the table: a band that uses unconventional melodic Ideas and bizarre song Structures to actually create dynamics, atmosphere, and interesting songs that actually go somewhere. Or Anata, a band that usually gets lumped in with those three groups I was bitching about takes the tech-death formula and goes to some really interesting places with it, using unconventional harmonies. (see The Conductor's Departure) Of course there's also bands who've been taking huge amounts of influence from Demilich and Immolation as well, not to mention the latter band is still going pretty strong as of late. There's a lot of good things going on in tech-death if you dig, but i've gotten really Sick of those three bands and what all of their copyists have been doing as of late in the metal scene.

(for what it's worth, I'd also really like to see Lykathea Aflame come back and refine the Ideas they had on Elvenfris; I really like what the record tries to do, but I don't think they put everything together that well, and it's a shame because there's some fantastic moments on it. I've been wanting to look into !.T.O.O.H.! lately as well, that record sounds killer.)

Monday 23 May 2011 - 22:08:59
Everybody should listen to Loudpipes, he actually knows what he's talking about.

Monday 23 May 2011 - 22:43:11
It certainly seems that way

Tuesday 24 May 2011 - 01:55:31
Loudpipes, you are 100% correct.

Lykathé (Lykathea Aflame changed their name) actually said they started to make another album 2 years ago. They did Nothing between 2000-2009 though.

Saturday 28 May 2011 - 18:21:48
For the longest time, I was into a Czech technical death band called Godless Truth.