Heavy/Power Metal >> NWOAPM (New Wave of American Power Metal)?
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Wednesday 01 June 2011 - 04:23:44
I feel liked I'm going to get flamed for this, but... John Arch's Voice is irritating as hell.

But yes, the riffs are fantastic. And as Enig said, they flow perfectly.

Wednesday 01 June 2011 - 04:30:14
I can kinda see where you're coming from...the vocals are kinda high and nasally, but they're just so passionate I can't be bothered to care. Plus, they do suit the music rather well.

Wednesday 01 June 2011 - 04:31:31
Okay, I can at least day that they are very melodic, but damn, they are nasally.

Friday 03 June 2011 - 04:43:39
Arch is by Far my favourite metal vocalist ever. His vocal melodies are absolutely sublime and complement the riffwork on those two Fates Warning records perfectly. There's actually a genuine sense of melodic interplay between them, and he has such a powerful, passionate delivery that it's hard not to be moved by them. They were an essential part as to why Fates Warning was (for two years) pretty much the greatest heavy/power/prog metal band ever.

citation :
Enigmatick says : Oh, I agree. The only album I've heard and analyzed is Awaken The Guardian (I have The Spectre Within downloaded, it's been on my iPod for a while but haven't listened to it for some reason) and goddamn that shit's good. Every riff if great, there's TONS in every song and they seamlessly flow in to one another. A truly Progressive Metal album, for sure.

The Spectre Within is more musically direct and not quite as Arcane in nature as Guardian is. It's more Aggressive, it's more overtly heavy, but it has pretty exactly everything that made the band so fantastic. It's darker in a lot of ways as well, but also achingly beautiful at times. "The Apparition" is possibly one of THE top metal songs of all time, and "Epitaph" is one of the greatest closers in metal history.

Pretty passionate about that band, but I wholeheartedly consider those two records to be pretty much among the pinnacles of metal, period. (though Mercyful Fate's "Don't Break the Oath" and Black Sabbath's Sabotage are damn near them)

Wednesday 30 November 2011 - 05:13:05
I really enjoy Borealis, as I have said many times before haha Power Quest and Shaman are also some really great ones.  Weird thing is, NoNe of them are from Scandanavia haha.

Tuesday 17 January 2012 - 22:35:32

citation :
Moose1220 says : I really enjoy Borealis, as I have said many times before haha Power Quest and Shaman are also some really great ones.  Weird thing is, NoNe of them are from Scandanavia haha.

Just realized, this forum is "American" Power Metal.  Oops, tehe.