Thrash Metal >> Heavy Sound Festival 1984/85
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Sunday 19 July 2009 - 07:26:55
Hello,last night I was going through some footage regarding the Heavy Sound Festival in Poperinge (Flanders),where Metallica performed their first gig on flemish Soil (maybe even in europe).As you might know (or not know),that (very promising) festival was cancelled because of drunken german slayerfans who got into a graveyard to do some stupid things with dead bodies and shit.In that time Poperinge was the fuckin "bay area" of Europe....they all came here,Metallica,Slayer,maiden ac/dc...One mentioned political pressure,and locals damaging their own properties to blame the metalheads..Does anybody know anything about that?

Sunday 19 July 2009 - 12:26:45
germans and drunken? i´m confused!

but no. sorry, i also googled a bit about this festival but i cant find any information about these occurrences.

Monday 14 September 2009 - 15:35:06
Hi i was there in 85 its was a awesome festival.
we came from rotterdam holland and we got there late the bus was stuck in traffic.
we wanted to see Warlock with Doro..all the guys did lol.
anyway, there was definitly a occurance with Destruction on  the local graveyard..for what i heard they even took some corpses out of there coffins.
now these were guys i came with from holland..im not sure if there were any germans involved,.... I sure wasnt !!!.
so when the festival was over we missed some of those weirdo`s on the bus they all got in jail that night and released 3 days later.
thats the story from my side of this weird occurance in poperinge..i remember it till this day,im now 43 and i was 19 at that time.
Metal Greetings to all
Ron

Wednesday 11 November 2009 - 11:26:03
I've been to the Heavy Sound Festival in Poperinge in '84 ... just looked at some of the photos I took from Motörhead, Metallica and Twisted Sister ...
It was one of the best festivals I've ever been to ;-))))
But the evening before the festival ... quite some so called 'fans' messed up Poperinge ... and it's a Sad fact that most of them were german ...

Saturday 02 October 2010 - 05:33:56

citation :
Mayala says : I've been to the Heavy Sound Festival in Poperinge in '84 ... just looked at some of the photos I took from Motörhead, Metallica and Twisted Sister ...
It was one of the best festivals I've ever been to ;-))))
But the evening before the festival ... quite some so called 'fans' messed up Poperinge ... and it's a Sad fact that most of them were german ...

Do you mind sharing those Metallica pics you took back in the day?

Saturday 21 July 2012 - 16:30:56

citation :
j_walk says :

citation :
Mayala says : I've been to the Heavy Sound Festival in Poperinge in '84 ... just looked at some of the photos I took from Motörhead, Metallica and Twisted Sister ...
It was one of the best festivals I've Ever been to ;-))))
But the evening before the festival ... quite some so called 'fans' messed up Poperinge ... and it's a Sad Fact that most of them were german ...

Do you mind sharing those Metallica pics you took back in the day?

+1 0

Saturday 28 July 2012 - 10:32:28
Exile's new album (Suspended Society... Mutilated Variety) will be released on July the 30th! Support us by buying our album! Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT_inIyORZk

Tuesday 19 March 2013 - 15:55:00
I was at this Festival in 1984! I was 18 and as Far as I can remember there was something going on at the local graveyard. A few of us were sent to prison that night (though we had Nothing to do with all what was going on there).

I remember the police been very rude... We already parked our cars near a field close to Poperinge to spend the night there as lots of police cars were coming to our place.

I guess that night it was enough to have a german licence plate at your car to get arrested.

Maybe someone knows exactly what was going on there that night... Cause even 30 years later Im not sure what REALLY happened.

There been rumours some stupid germans destroyed the graveyard... But: As Far as I can remeber the festival itself took place. I can be wrong but I think this day we Saw Metallica there (with Cliff Burton... yeah) and as we were driving to the fields to rest there we just arrived directly from the festival site (I think it was a kind of sportsfield).

PS: Funny who old your feel when you talk about Festivals in 1984...