Sludge/Stoner/Doom Metal >> Funeral Doom Metal
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Getting poll results. Please wait...
Do you like funeral doom metal?
Yes
No

Wednesday 08 December 2010 - 02:14:28
So here is where you can discuss your opinion towards Funeral doom metal. Do you like it or hate?

Esoteric, Depressed Mode, Evoken and early Shape Of Despair are some favourites of mine in the subgenre.

Thursday 09 December 2010 - 13:16:21
All I heard from any of these band's is Depressed Mode's cover of Burzum's Dunkelheit. It was cool, not great. I liked the vocals, didn't care for the piano.

Friday 17 December 2010 - 04:29:10
Funeral doom is something I understand the appeal of but can't get into myself. It's probably the most inaccessible genre of metal there is, with its creeping, slow atonality, really spacey, dark atmosphere and just overall lack of melody. I moderately enjoy front-running bands of the genre like Ahab and Esoteric when I'm in the Mood, and some of that "torture doom" stuff (ala Wormphlegm) is interesting to listen to on occasion, but NoNe of it has really enticed me to explore the genre any further.

Are there any bands that have managed to pull off what Ahab has done, which is actually creating genuine Funeral doom without losing their sense of melody completely? If so, I'd love to hear it. Even if it's a little flowery, it don't matter, I love slow gay flowery shit.

Friday 17 December 2010 - 04:39:22
Shape Of Despair is melodic and still Funeral doom. I don't like them as much.Yeah, these guys are kind of flowery (new album is anyway).

Evoken is also melodic and still Funeral doom, except they have more Death Metal aspects (they use blast beats sometimes, which is very strange for Funeral doom). Also, there is no emotion in their music. It is still amazing, but it is creepy.

And wait, torture doom? Please elaborate.

Friday 17 December 2010 - 14:18:59
Anyone heard of the band Nortt? They're Funeral Doom mixed with some Black Metal. Rostau is also good, though they are more experimental, and I'm not sure if you would like it.
Shape Of Despair is great too

Sunday 19 December 2010 - 22:49:05

citation :
Mercenarion says : Shape Of Despair is melodic and still Funeral doom. I don't like them as much.Yeah, these guys are kind of flowery (new album is anyway).

Evoken is also melodic and still Funeral doom, except they have more Death Metal aspects (they use blast beats sometimes, which is very strange for Funeral doom). Also, there is no emotion in their music. It is still amazing, but it is creepy.

heard of Evoken (they're kinda meh) and I'll check out Shape of Despair.

And torture doom is this really fucked-up brand of Doom Metal that's slow, Abrasive, and...well, torturous. It's really easy to spot, so I'll give ya a few examples:

Sunday 19 December 2010 - 22:55:09

citation :
Enigmatick says :

citation :
Mercenarion says : Shape Of Despair is melodic and still Funeral doom. I don't like them as much.Yeah, these guys are kind of flowery (new album is anyway).

heard of Evoken (they're kinda meh) and I'll check out Shape of Despair.

And torture doom is this really fucked-up brand of Doom Metal that's slow, Abrasive, and...well, torturous. It's really easy to spot, so I'll give ya a few examples:

By what I can hear, I don't really like torture doom. If I wanted something slower than Funeral doom, I'd stick to Sunn O))).

And what Evoken album did you listen to?

Monday 20 December 2010 - 00:46:38
Antithesis of Light. the reviewers on M-A jizzed all over it so I figured I'd give it a look, didn't really impress me.

Also, Shape Of Despair have the kind of sound I was looking for, gonna have to give them a few more spins before I can fully formulate my opinion on them though.

And yes, torture doom isn't all that great, it's more "mood music" than anything, more novelty than actual substance. It's interesting to listen to just so you can see how Twisted music can really get.

Monday 20 December 2010 - 00:54:09
Yeah, the reviewers on MA did inflate the reviews for Antithesis of Light. They all gave it perfect. I would of given it a 80 or 85 out of 100 because it was an amazing album, but all of the the song structures were way too alike.

Sunday 02 January 2011 - 19:48:03
Okay, In a couple of weeks I may have to take back what I said about Evoken. They're definitely starting to grow on me, just the way they build up their creepy melodies into a blasting Death Metal fury and then break them Down again...it's starting to strike a chord. I'm still not a big fan but I can see why some people would be now.