Avant-garde/Experimental Metal >> Drone Doom/Ambient
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Getting poll results. Please wait...
What is your opinion of drone doom?
Yes
Yes, but only the darker stuff
Yes, but only the calmer stuff
No
This sounds like my refrigerator

Saturday 19 February 2011 - 07:01:46
I want to see everyone's opinion on this Ominous genre. Taking the doom atmosphere and layering it with ambient, sustained guitar riffs played very slowly, and faded vocals. It seems to some just meaningless noise, but it maintains its rhythm somehow. The result is either a monolithic slab of doom (Sunn O))) ) or an emotional, calming piece (Asva).

I personally love the genre.

Here are examples of the darker side of Drone and the calmer side:

Sunn O)))

Asva

Saturday 19 February 2011 - 07:07:43
I perfer the calmer stuff over the darker stuff. Some of the dark stuff is pretty good but the majority of it doen't usually work for me. 0

Sunday 20 February 2011 - 00:04:40
S' good shit. Boris' Flood washes over me like a tidal wave every time, my personal favorite of the genre.

Do you know of any more pure drone/drone doom bands aside from the progenitors (Sunn O))), Boris and Earth)?

Sunday 20 February 2011 - 00:19:45

citation :
Enigmatick says : S' good shit. Boris' Flood washes over me like a tidal wave every time, my personal favorite of the genre.

Do you know of any more pure drone/drone doom bands aside from the progenitors (Sunn O))), Boris and Earth)?

The Human Quena Orchestra
Khlyst (kind of)
Nadja (sounds shoegazey at times)
Black Boned Angel (Drone with Funeral doom, close enough)
Vonn (fucking creepy at times)

These are the guys that I can think of (at the moment) to be pure drone.

Saturday 21 May 2011 - 14:52:39
Elmi - Drone a la early Earth/Boris
http://elmi.bandcamp.com

Saturday 21 May 2011 - 15:39:59

citation :
Enigmatick says : Do you know of any more pure drone/drone doom bands aside from the progenitors (Sunn O))), Boris and Earth)?

Moss is another big one, as well as Darkspace.
Although Darkspace limits all their shit so much that it's like finding the holy grail if you see anything by them.
There's Burial Chamber Trio, but they had a super short career and only releasing two albums, having a grand total of 4 songs. 0
Echtra's another pretty awesome one. I reviewed their album Paragate on SOM if you wanna look at that. They have such beautiful haunting stuff.
I found a CD by a band called I Chaos that're pretty nice for dronin'.
There's also Propergol, but they're really obscure and listening to them for over 10 minutes hurts my ears (you'll see why if you listen to the song Farenheit by them).

And that's just about all the Drone bands I know, unless you wanna consider Om (fantastic band) a Drone band as well. In my opinion they're more Stoner doom, but a lot of people refer to them as a Drone band.

Sunday 07 August 2011 - 15:01:49

citation :
Mercenarion says :
The Human Quena Orchestra
Khlyst (kind of)
Nadja (sounds shoegazey at times)
Black Boned Angel (Drone with Funeral doom, close enough)
Vonn (fucking creepy at times)

These are the guys that I can think of (at the moment) to be pure drone.

I haven't any of those other than Vonn, crazy shit Vonn is

I'm not exactly sure what pure Drone is but do these count?

Sunday 14 August 2011 - 05:24:33

"it sounds like my refrigerator"

Monday 15 August 2011 - 00:19:25

citation :
Enigmatick says :

"it sounds like my refrigerator"

Well, Drone is refrigerator-core.