Symphonic / Gothic / Melodic Doom >> Ancient Lament
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Thursday 31 July 2014 - 19:48:31

Greetings from the old times,

Ancient Lament is a new Funeral
doom band compose by Borgion - original idea, all instruments and
production ; and Hangsvart - growls.
The texts are taken from the old egyptian times.

We have 4 songs for the moment and working on others.

You can find videos here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTeGfsiW7Wk
And our facebook here : https://www.facebook.com/ancientlament

Please take a look and comment if you want.

Sunday 03 August 2014 - 16:38:41

Hi guys!

First of all, I really like the guitar tone that you've gone with for your 20-minute track (the only one I've heard so Far). The lead guitar melodies are really nice, but I should tell you that I find it more soothing (like shoegaze rock) than mournful. Don't get me wrong, the slow pace, minimal percussion and incredibly deep vocals make it Funeral doom, but it HAS a more relaxed tone than, say, Esoteric or Ahab. I personally like it If soothing wasn't quite your intention, I'd suggest making the low-end on the bass do a lot more heavy lifting in the production, because at the moment your music isn't quite earth-shattering in heaviness. Again, it might not be your intention to be that way, but just letting you know.

I'm not a fan of the dead halt at about 8:30. It pops up out of nowhere and only seems to undermine the pace and atmosphere of the track. I did notice in the description that the lyrics are divided into part 1 and 2, so I'm wondering if this break was meant to be the start of a new song. I think it works best as an opener to a track, instead of an interlude in the middle of one. Anyway, the melody that picks up after the interlude is really good. It seems fairly subdued behind the sludgy Murk this time as opposed to sounding crystal clear before, sort of reminds me of Thergothon.

One thing I think you guys should work on as music writers are melodies with Drive, that progress and variate throughout the track--I think things like this would really suit the style you currently have. For example, listen to Mournful Congregation's song "Mother - Water, The Great Sea Wept" (one of my personal favourite Funeral doom songs), especially the excellent melody that begins at 9:20. The way this band progresses melodies demonstrate that each song HAS a strong forward drive. That being said, I really like the solo-esque melody that begins around 14:00, and the way that it's reprised around 19:20. I think you guys are pretty good, better than a lot of other Funeral doom bands out there. You're more melody-oriented than a few of your genre peers, which suits the kind of Funeral doom that I like. I also enjoy your Ancient Egypt theme, I think it HAS a lot of potential as Funeral doom inspiration, especially from a mythological aspect. Keep up the good work!

Also, don't know if you're looking for album artwork, but I've done artwork for several bands and if you want I can do artwork for you if you Ever need it. My website's here: http://curtisbotham.weebly.com/ Be sure to look at the drawings page as well as the portraits that are there.

Sorry for such a long response!