Discussions about Music >> Absolute Masterpieces
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Thursday 15 October 2009 - 16:52:14
It's easy to find an album you like, but have you ever found an album that blew you away due to its sheer beauty and ingenuity? Any albums you trully think are masterpieces and near enough flawless?

Note: This isn't a favourite album thread, this is a thread where you share absolute masterpieces. Don't mix the two.

It's difficult to find totally flawless albums, such a thing cannot exist. But to me, there are a few albums that are perfect for my ears and continue to blow me away with their sheer beauty everytime.

So question: What are your masterpieces? What is a Masterpiece to you?

A Masterpiece to me is an album that can continue to completely leave you in awe with each listen, a consistant and complete album with no real outstanding flaws. Near perfection.

The albums I think fit this description are:

Estatic Fear - A Sombre Dance
The reason I chose this is because simply enough, it's a masterpiece. Nothing is thrown in, everything in this album works, it's a totally amazing and complete Fusion of classical, folk, and Doom Metal which is totally unique to this band alone. This cannot be recreated by anyone.

Empyrium - Songs of Moors and Misty Fields
See above, really. It is a sound that cannot be covered or recreated by anyone else but Empyrium, and the sound is simply perfectly executed.

Moonsorrow - Verisakeet
They're my favourite band for a reason. The perfection, diversity, and total ingenuity of this album is matched by no other band. 5 amazing songs, each of them unique and different in their own way, but you can still evidently hear it is Moonsorrow. Awe inspiring.

Share with me your masterpieces! Albums you believe to be totally faultless. Favourite albums are different because even if it is your favourite, it's likely to have faults which you've forgiven. I'm looking for albums you believe to have no outstanding faults.

Thursday 15 October 2009 - 20:47:58
A total Masterpiece for me is Opeth - "My Arms, Your Hearse" (I believe I have mentioned it to you before).
All albuns from Opeth are very good (so far, at least) but this album leaves me completely in awe each time I listen to it. It think it's the one that shows more inspiration. Everything is amazing about it. I love "April Ethereal", I love the soft tunes of "Madrigal" and the way "The Amen Corner", "Demon of the Fall" causes the hair of my nape to stand upright, and I could go on for hours...

Thursday 15 October 2009 - 21:07:53

citation :
Earine says : A total Masterpiece for me is Opeth - "My Arms, Your Hearse" (I believe I have mentioned it to you before).
All albuns from Opeth are very good (so far, at least) but this album leaves me completely in awe each time I listen to it. It think it's the one that shows more inspiration. Everything is amazing about it. I love "April Ethereal", I love the soft tunes of "Madrigal" and the way "The Amen Corner", "Demon of the Fall" causes the hair of my nape to stand upright, and I could go on for hours...

Opeth are a great band! My personal favourite from them is Blackwater Park, tremendous album! But we've already talked about that :D

Thursday 15 October 2009 - 21:29:19

citation :
JoeNoctus says :

citation :
Earine says : A total Masterpiece for me is Opeth - "My Arms, Your Hearse" (I believe I have mentioned it to you before).

Opeth are a great band! My personal favourite from them is Blackwater Park, tremendous album! But we've already talked about that :D

We did. I don't mind repeating myself while talking about music though.
Another great album I consider a Masterpiece is "Watch Us Deteriorate" - Crystalic. It's so dynamic from the beggining to The End, there isn't one single song I don't like.

Thursday 15 October 2009 - 22:57:05
to me, Wintersun's album Wintersun was a pure Masterpiece, every song on there is incredible, they're genre is impossible to define because they morph so many genres (folk, Melodic Death, Black Metal, Progressive, even elements of Power Metal) all 8 songs on their only album are incredible, especially Starchild, and Sadness and Hate, mainly because they combine atmospheric elements along with Blazing solos, and Intricate Melodies, personally, it's probly the greatest album i've listened to.

Friday 16 October 2009 - 18:55:10
Ok, I have really tried to think which albums that are TRUE masterpieces for me.
Normally I would have started to mention almost every Iron Maiden album, closely followed by almost everything Priest and Sabbath have done.... but ok...the true masterpieces are the following:

Iron Maiden:0 
Piece of mind
Powerslave
The number of The Beast
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Somewhere in time

Judas Priest:
Sad Wings of Destiny
British steel
Defenders of  the Faith

Black Sabbath:
Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Master of reality
Vol 4

Alice Cooper:
Love it to death
Billion dollar babies

King Diamond:
Them
Conspiracy

Helloween:
Keeper of the seven keys I & II

Wednesday 21 October 2009 - 09:42:12
A Masterpiece for me is a record I can return to again and again and also a record without any filling songs.
Sounds must be good (at least comparing to the general level of the release date) and the atmosphere must be well build and kept.

As an example I'll put Kivenkantaja by Moonsorrow. Absolutely great atmosphere through the record. Lyrics about Finnish Pagan history and even though I'm not that big fan of growling, it fits here like a Fist to the ass.

Another example is Iron Maiden's Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. No bad songs (IMO) and also great sounds (back then). The theme carries the atmosphere greatly from the intro to the outro.

Wednesday 21 October 2009 - 10:26:51
Death - Symbolic
Iron Maiden - Fear of The Dark
Cynic - Traced In Air
Spiral Archivect - A Sceptic's Universe
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde

and so on

Monday 26 October 2009 - 20:43:19
Xentrix -shattered existence/for whose advantage?
Slayer -show no Mercy
Metallica -kill'em all/ride the lightinng
Exodus -bonded by Blood
Iron Maiden -iron maiden/killers
Death -scream bloody gore/symbolic
....and many more

Tuesday 27 October 2009 - 15:05:26
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Def Leopard's Hysteria, possibly the greatest Heavy Metal rock album of all time. Was up?

Spirit of Metal Webzine 2003-2024
site developed and maintained by Spirit of Metal Team