Nerds Central >> A Stick and The Moon
Share to Facebook Share to Myspace Share to Twitter Stumble It Email This More...

Sunday 25 September 2011 - 17:54:50
ok, I think I have come up with a conclusion here...

ok I have a stick and the moon.

As I Push the stick, towards the Moon, I compress it. Now rather than me moving this "stick" in one motion, the movement travels in a wave. So I guess I could Push it further than 1m because of this compression but the wave will most likely bounce back and shove the stick in my face .

Does this seem legit?

Monday 26 September 2011 - 15:17:53

citation :
miniradman says : ok, I think I have come up with a conclusion here...

As I Push the stick, towards the Moon, I compress it. Now rather than me moving this "stick" in one motion, the movement travels in a wave. So I guess I could Push it further than 1m because of this compression but the wave will most likely bounce back and shove the stick in my face .

Does this seem legit?

Shouldn't we take the rotation of both Earth and Moon in account and different movement speeds of both objects?

Tuesday 11 October 2011 - 13:19:57

citation :
Panzerjager says :

citation :
miniradman says : ok, I think I have come up with a conclusion here...

Does this seem legit?

Shouldn't we take the rotation of both Earth and Moon in account and different movement speeds of both objects?

I haven't really taken this into account, I could, but I'm only looking at the way the stick behaves over a long distance

Wednesday 12 October 2011 - 15:15:07
The only valid way to compare Two objects' speed , is to have the same starting point , the same distance to cover , and the same starting time . Unless the physics i have been taught is different .
NoNe of those are applied in the current arguement so its off right from the hypothesis .

But lets overlook that . Yes your stick would arrive faster on the Moon than the light that has to cover thousands of kilometers . But even like this, the light isnt spontaneous like a "dot" , its constant . So your stick will still be beaten by countless more rays that arrived before.

I dont even know why i am answering this

Thursday 13 October 2011 - 07:53:08

citation :
1Archon1 says : The only valid way to compare Two objects' speed , is to have the same starting point , the same distance to cover , and the same starting time . Unless the physics i have been taught is different .
NoNe of those are applied in the current arguement so its off right from the hypothesis .

But lets overlook that . Yes your stick would arrive faster on the Moon than the light that has to cover thousands of kilometers . But even like this, the light isnt spontaneous like a "dot" , its constant . So your stick will still be beaten by countless more rays that arrived before.

I dont even know why i am answering this

How fast would the stick move from the moment I Push it to the time it hits the moon. Would be instantaneous or will there be a delay. Because I think the movement will travel like a wave rather than just a single push. (like pushing a spring into a wall).